Transferring Schools from Part-time to Full-Time Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Oakley84

New

Transferring Schools from Part-time to Full-Time

Post by Oakley84 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Has anyone heard of anyone who has transferred from a part-time program at one school to a full-time program at another? I have read on here that some people have, certain schools do not require a certain amount of units, but I am wondering what the reality of it really is. What are the options for someone in the top of their class in an evening division program in regards to transferring? Would they be competitive against those in the top of their class from full-time.

rdcws000

Bronze

Re: Transferring Schools from Part-time to Full-Time

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:03 am

I've been doing a little bit of research on transferring.

As far as I can tell, once you have completed some classes and received some grades, GRADES are the primary determining factor for transfer. Since you are ranked along with your FT counterparts at your school, this distinction should not matter.

The school I contacted about transferring to told me to focus on getting good grades, and a LoR from a law prof at my current school.

She also said original entry criteria (LSAT and UGPA) are almost entirely irrelevant to transfer admission, law school grades trump.

Oakley84

New

Post by Oakley84 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:50 pm

Most part-time programs are ranked entirely separately from full-time students, therefore, I am concerned this may be an obvious factor when applying to transfer, in that getting in the top 1% amongst a small class of part-time students may not carry as much weight as someone in a larger class who has taken more classes. Although, when you look on certain schools websites in their transfer sections, some just require that you have completed a year, not that you have completed a certain number of units. UCLA for example requires a year completed, while Berkeley you must have completed a certain number of units that you would not otherwise be able to do in a part-time program.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I've been doing a little bit of research on transferring.

As far as I can tell, once you have completed some classes and received some grades, GRADES are the primary determining factor for transfer. Since you are ranked along with your FT counterparts at your school, this distinction should not matter.

The school I contacted about transferring to told me to focus on getting good grades, and a LoR from a law prof at my current school.

She also said original entry criteria (LSAT and UGPA) are almost entirely irrelevant to transfer admission, law school grades trump.
That has got to a bit of a sensitive issue, no? Getting an LoR from a prof at current school to transfer to another school?

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:23 pm

raperez129 wrote:

That has got to a bit of a sensitive issue, no? Getting an LoR from a prof at current school to transfer to another school?
I'm thinking it probably would be. The relationship between you and the Prof would have to be a pretty strong one. raperez, you probably know which school I am attending (a), and which one I'd like to transfer to(b). My guess is this is a very common occurrence between these 2 schools in the same city, and my hope is that school A will be supportive of my desire to better myself at school B.

If not, I'm ok with it, because as you know, I am happy with my decision to attend and graduate from school A.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:26 pm

There's also the issue of having enough credits to transfer. For example, U of C and NU both require more credits than earned through PT programs.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:36 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
raperez129 wrote:

I'm thinking it probably would be. The relationship between you and the Prof would have to be a pretty strong one. raperez, you probably know which school I am attending (a), and which one I'd like to transfer to(b). My guess is this is a very common occurrence between these 2 schools in the same city, and my hope is that school A will be supportive of my desire to better myself at school B.

If not, I'm ok with it, because as you know, I am happy with my decision to attend and graduate from school A.

Yes, I have researched a similar transfer also. I too have come to peace with A, still, I haven't resolved myself to completely close the door on B. Geez, I'm starting to feel like the girl that just won't grasp "...he's just not that into you...." :roll:

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=82937

That's a thread about transferring to another school. I know I have seen a similar thread that focused on part-time to full-time and listed the schools that are friendly to this type of transfer.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:26 pm

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:There's also the issue of having enough credits to transfer. For example, U of C and NU both require more credits than earned through PT programs.
You are correct. In fact this is the greatest issue that very well could eliminate any chance of my transfer.

In my case school B will not (firm rule) admit a transfer with less than 22 credits earned at their law school. At school A a PT student earns 18 credits in their first two semesters. If they are somehow able to pull off some magic and get their summer session grades before School B's deadline then they might be considered, but considering this year's deadline was in the 3rd week of July, it's unlikely.

The next obvious option would be to apply after 2 years were complete at school A. This brings the next problem. School B will only transfer a maximum of 30 credits. By this time at school A I would have earned 40+ credits.

It's a longshot, but I'm going to keep the first option in the back of my mind, pending my 1L grades of course.

Oakley84

New

Post by Oakley84 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Seeing that as a part timer you'll graduate in four years anyways, you could always set yourself up to do a 1 1/2 year at school A and then do an internship, etc. for a semester, and then transfer for the last two years. Either way you'd graduate in four years. That's one option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”