Waitlists Galore Oh My! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GettingReady2010

Bronze

Re: Waitlists Galore Oh My!

Post by GettingReady2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 am

rad law wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote: You're assuming that the economy is going to stay the way it is. It could get much worse for all I know, but it could also get better. Also, I don't know where you live, but in my city the PD's office is stocked with grads from lower ranked schools with only the occasional grad from a top school.
Banking on it staying the same is a decent bet. I wouldn't bet on it getting drasically better.

Same with my city, but they got hired years ago. Even hiring from last year to two years ago is drastically different from today. PD and SA (our DA) offices in my major metro area of FL are doing almost no hiring, last time I checked.
I think maybe people are being a tad pessimistic about the economy. I know this doesn't prove anything, but throughout the history of the US, we've had economic meltdowns (i.e. the Great Depression), and everyone freaked out and thought that things would never get better. Yet, we came back stronger than ever.

As far as PD and ADA jobs go, there is only so far they can cut back. For example, if the DA's office is understaffed, that is a serious public safety issue - The primary concern of any society.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 am

GettingReady2010 wrote: I think maybe people are being a tad pessimistic about the economy. I know this doesn't prove anything, but throughout the history of the US, we've had economic meltdowns (i.e. the Great Depression), and everyone freaked out and thought that things would never get better. Yet, we came back stronger than ever.
Exactly. Doesn't prove anything.
As far as PD and ADA jobs go, there is only so far they can cut back. For example, if the DA's office is understaffed, that is a serious public safety issue - The primary concern of any society.
Head of the office will make them take higher case loads and go through cases faster by plea bargaining cases or just flat-out not prosecuting them.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:49 am

rad law wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote: I think maybe people are being a tad pessimistic about the economy. I know this doesn't prove anything, but throughout the history of the US, we've had economic meltdowns (i.e. the Great Depression), and everyone freaked out and thought that things would never get better. Yet, we came back stronger than ever.
Exactly. Doesn't prove anything.
Head of the office will make them take higher case loads and go through cases faster by plea bargaining cases or just flat-out not prosecuting them.
Yes, and when that happens crime will increase and the people will start mobilizing.

On the other end, if the PD's office is unable to do it's job, and defendants are sitting in a jail cell waiting around for trial, then the ACLU and the like will start filing law suits.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:50 am

GettingReady2010 wrote: Yes, and when that happens crime will increase and the people will start mobilizing.

On the other end, if the PD's office is unable to do it's job, and defendants are sitting in a jail cell waiting around for trial, then the ACLU and the like will start filing law suits.
They have been overworked in my town pre-ITE. They plea out defendants, well, like it's their job. A friend worked for the PD's office. 30 mins on a case from start to plea deal with SA office was not uncommon.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:56 am

rad law wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote: Yes, and when that happens crime will increase and the people will start mobilizing.

They have been overworked in my town pre-ITE. They plea out defendants, well, like it's their job. A friend worked for the PD's office. 30 mins on a case from start to plea deal with SA office was not uncommon.
But that address my point. Lets say that violent criminals are being given lights sentences left and right, only to get out and hurt or kill someone. Again, the people will start demanding change.

Look, I'm not saying this means that anyone applying for one of these jobs will not have an extremely hard time getting the job, but you're making it sound like a city/state can just continuously cut back to the point where the only employee in the DA's office is the DA himself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:59 am

GettingReady2010 wrote: But that address my point. Lets say that violent criminals are being given lights sentences left and right, only to get out and hurt or kill someone. Again, the people will start demanding change.
Strangely enough, people always look to the police, not the DA here. Why? People don't know how the criminal justice system works.
Look, I'm not saying this means that anyone applying for one of these jobs will not have an extremely hard time getting the job, but you're making it sound like a city/state can just continuously cut back to the point where the only employee in the DA's office is the DA himself.
Not really what I said. The point was that these jobs are insanely competitive and should not be a fallback.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:03 am

That is actually good point about people automatically attributing some problem with crime to a lack of police. I never really thought about it.

I have no idea. I'm just staying optimistic and hoping things improve.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:
But that address my point. Lets say that violent criminals are being given lights sentences left and right, only to get out and hurt or kill someone. Again, the people will start demanding change.

So in other words, moar crime = moar jobs for us.

<----- Glad he is going to school in STL
Last edited by romothesavior on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 am

GettingReady2010 wrote: I have no idea. I'm just staying optimistic and hoping things improve.
Same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:08 am

romothesavior wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:

So in other words, moar crime = moar jobs for us.

<----- Glad he is going to school in STL
Since you're putting words into my mouth, I'm glad pissed you're not going to school in STL.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 am

Confused. Are you making a joke I don't understand, or yelling at me for no reason?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”