What classes do 1L Fordham PT students take in the fall?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jrod

What classes do 1L Fordham PT students take in the fall?

Postby jrod » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:03 pm

I am guessing there are two doctrinals and one legal writing-type class. Anyone have any details?

OperaSoprano

Re: What classes do 1L Fordham PT students take in the fall?

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:08 pm

jrod wrote:I am guessing there are two doctrinals and one legal writing-type class. Anyone have any details?

It depends. We had contracts and crim, plus legal writing, but some sections had property and torts. You'll find out when your schedule is released to you, but you don't need to worry. The only useful 0L prep is to increase your typing speed. (Very serious about this!)

jrod

Postby jrod » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks OS. So you get finals (and grades) in two of those four courses, plus memos etc in one type of legal writing-esque class, in both the fall and spring terms, respectively?

jrod

Postby jrod » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Also wondering how this legal process class, which is apparently graded, is factored in to your gpa?

Oh -- and how is everyone reacting to the resignation of Dean Treanor???

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:39 pm

We get two grades after fall semester (LRW is listed as in progress, and counts for three credits. Legal research, technically pass/fail, is factored in). I received spring grades about two weeks ago, and approximate class standings (as Fordham directs us to list them) along with designations of academic honors, a few days ago. Academic honors are for top third, top quarter, and top 10%. Wilkinson scholarships go to the top 15 students (about top 3%). No, I don't have a Wilkinson, though I did fine and I am happy.

Dean Treanor was popular (he gave us cupcakes) and many people are sad to see him go. Most of the controversy came because Above The Law broke the news before most Fordham students knew about it, so there was a perception that he mishandled communications.

jrod

Postby jrod » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks. Only two actual letter grades in the fall, if I understand correctly. So two doctrinal grades in fall and spring, respectively, and zero legal analysis/process/research/advocacy grades until spring, when they all come?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:48 pm

jrod wrote:Thanks. Only two actual letter grades in the fall, if I understand correctly. So two doctrinal grades in fall and spring, respectively, and zero legal analysis/process/research/advocacy grades until spring, when they all come?

Yes. The only downside is that one so-so grade can have a magnified effect on your GPA when you only have 21 graded credits. The good news is that entering credentials are very, very far from being destiny. Many of the best students I know (not only at Fordham) were waitlisted or came in with very modest numbers.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”