anyone get accepted to GMU or AU with a 152 and a high gpa? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Komaliie

New

anyone get accepted to GMU or AU with a 152 and a high gpa?

Post by Komaliie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 am

i got a pretty low lsat score but my gpa is currently 3.99.
i am trying to decide if i should ED to GMU or American
i hear GMU is very number conscious whereas American is more lenient
so has anyone gotten accepted to gmu with a 152 lsat score?

hiromoto45

Silver

Re: anyone get accepted to GMU or AU with a 152 and a high gpa?

Post by hiromoto45 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 am

RETAKE...don't waste your gpa
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 am

hiromoto45 wrote:RETAKE...don't waste you gpa
retake. that is a horrible lsat

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 am

R....E....T....A....K....E. Retake!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 am

retake ^_^

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Komaliie

New

Post by Komaliie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 am

i already took it twice
i did everything i could to study
took class
studied by myself
in feb i got a 151 and june 152
i really dont want to take it again b/c i personally dont think i'll get a 160

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

Komaliie wrote:i already took it twice
took class
studied by myself
suck it up. retake. In the long run you will thank yourself.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

Komaliie wrote:i already took it twice
took class
studied by myself
get a tutor, take addy or something to get a better score. Anyone can score above a 160 with adequate prep.

Or dont go to law school....it is not for everyone

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:16 pm

159 LSAT and 3.91 GPA, great softs, GMU rejected me right away. On AU waitlist, not looking good. You need to retake the LSAT and get 164 or over if you want to be a sure thing at those two law schools. Of course, those two schools aren't the end-all/be-all of LS. Plenty of threads out there about how GMU and AU are overshadowed in the saturated DC market. GMU might keep its good press and improving rep if it moves further right...we'll see if they do that.

Move out of DC with those numbers and you'll do much better. Or retake and get a much better LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Komaliie wrote:i got a pretty low lsat score but my gpa is currently 3.99.
get 165 ED to UVa
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Take a different class. Take every practice test.

Once you are consistently testing in the high 160s, you should take your 3rd real test.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Komaliie wrote:i got a pretty low lsat score but my gpa is currently 3.99.
Wrong. American pretty much never admits any non-URMs with an LSAT under 162 (or above 165 for that matter). They do seem to totally ignore GPA, however.

http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/st ... Cycle=0910

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:03 pm

I think many posters who insist one retake do not take into account the statistical evidence provided by LSAC that confirms most test takers do not see significant improvement, if any at all, with subsequent LSAT administrations. You can have all the private tutoring and fancy preparatory courses money can buy but still come up with an abysmal score. The LSAT is impervious to worth ethic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Integrity wrote:I think many posters who insist one retake do not take into account the statistical evidence provided by LSAC that confirms most test takers do not see significant improvement, if any at all, with subsequent LSAT administrations. You can have all the private tutoring and fancy preparatory courses money can buy but still come up with an abysmal score. The LSAT is impervious to worth ethic.
bull. I took no class, had no private tutoring, and only worked with a Kaplan book and raised my score 10+. If you are motivated, you will improve. Get angry, work hard.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Integrity wrote:I think many posters who insist one retake do not take into account the statistical evidence provided by LSAC that confirms most test takers do not see significant improvement, if any at all, with subsequent LSAT administrations. You can have all the private tutoring and fancy preparatory courses money can buy but still come up with an abysmal score. The LSAT is impervious to worth ethic.
bull. I took no class, had no private tutoring, and only worked with a Kaplan book and raised my score 10+. If you are motivated, you will improve. Get angry, work hard.
Well, maybe I speak for a minority of test takers who, no matter how rigorously they prepare, the results just do not materialize (this seemed to be OP's issue). That being said, I commend you on your efforts leading to an impressive result.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:07 pm

I think it depends. If you are willing to put in the work, you can see your score improve significantly. I studied and used Testmasters, but managed a only very low score on my first time around.

Then in June, I worked much harder, took it again, and improved 9 points, and I think it would have been more if I didn't let myself get so thrown by the mulch and interns game, which I only ended up missing 2 or so on LG.

Nevertheless, given that I was training for the Boston Marathon, doing senior thesis, working, taking class, and doing the LSAT, I still think I can do better. Now that I no longer have any school or marathons to worry about this summer, I can devote a lot more time to taking PT's and reviewing them. I took about 10 PT's before the June LSAT. I plan to hit 20-30 this time around.

Retaking is good advice, if you are willing to put in the kind of work that it takes. But it is true that if you think you've given it your all in terms of studying, then it may be unrealistic to see your score improve that much, unless you just happen to get lucky on the test and the questions match your strengths (e.g. if you are better at flaws and there were more flaw questions than normal on that test than say assumptions, which you are weak at), or you were lucky on guessing, etc. Or maybe the game types are the ones you are good at.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:14 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:I think it depends. If you are willing to put in the work, you can see your score improve significantly. I studied and used Testmasters, but managed a only very low score on my first time around.

Then in June, I worked much harder, took it again, and improved 9 points, and I think it would have been more if I didn't let myself get so thrown by the mulch and interns game, which I only ended up missing 2 or so on LG.

Nevertheless, given that I was training for the Boston Marathon, doing senior thesis, working, taking class, and doing the LSAT, I still think I can do better. Now that I no longer have any school or marathons to worry about this summer, I can devote a lot more time to taking PT's and reviewing them. I took about 10 PT's before the June LSAT. I plan to hit 20-30 this time around.

Retaking is good advice, if you are willing to put in the kind of work that it takes. But it is true that if you think you've given it your all in terms of studying, then it may be unrealistic to see your score improve that much, unless you just happen to get lucky on the test and the questions match your strengths (e.g. if you are better at flaws and there were more flaw questions than normal on that test than say assumptions, which you are weak at), or you were lucky on guessing, etc. Or maybe the game types are the ones you are good at.

I pretty much dedicated my entire life (and finances) to preparing for the LSAT and came out with a banging 153/158/153. The SAT was a similar struggle. I graduated 3 of 128 from a private college preparatory school and Summa Cum Laude from a Tier I private university. For the (rare?) folk like me, it is not only frustrating, but no amount of work seems to compensate commensurately. It's disheartening to see so many doors shut because of it, and people chiming in with "retake," while reasonable, is futile. Of course, most people would love to retake and get a 170, don't misunderstand me. But for those like me, it does not happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Yikes. I sure hope to god I can get my 153 to past a 160. :(

lcgood

New

Post by lcgood » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I was accepted to AU with a 153 lsat and 3.19 gpa. I wrote a very compelling PS and I had great recommendations. I am a URM and I know that makes a difference but take the chance, you never know what may happen. I did not expect to be accepted but took the chance and applied anyway and I am glad I did. I was accepted 5 days after my application went complete. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”