South TX or Chapman

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tke12

South TX or Chapman

Postby tke12 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any advise for my situation. I narrowed down my choices to Chapman Law and South Texas in Houston. I got a scholarship to both, more at Chapman but regardless South Texas comes out cheaper overall. Money aside, I know they are both regional schools. Im originally from Houston, graduated UT and deciding if i want to live out of Texas. Chapman status seems to be rising pretty quickly, and I've heard great things, but if i wanted to come back to Texas would I have been better off going to South Texas? and even if I dont, should i base my decision on Chapman's better ranking?
Thanks to anyone who replies! :)

merichard87

Re: South TX or Chapman

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 pm

It will all come down to where you want to be.

If you want to be in Houston, go to South Texas. If California, Chapman.

I've seen how far Chapman jumped in the rankings but it is still a school in a heavily oversaturated market. Anywhere you want to go in Cali there is already a more established school there.

South Texas' abilities in Texas far outreaches its status but you will still have to work damn hard to open certain doors for yourself.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:56 pm

chapman is new to the ranking and still has no reach in texas. if you want to come to texas you might as well go to school there.

Salzburg2013

Postby Salzburg2013 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Chapman is a wonderful school I graduated with my MBA from CU this year....but if you plan on staying in TX you are better off sticking with a TX school since as you said both schools are regional! Either way congrats on your offers and good luck!

tke12

Postby tke12 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:21 am

thanks guys! I'm down to the last minute of my decision and appreciate all the input!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:10 pm

nobody is going to say neither?

I will then...Neither. I would think you'd be better off with a BA in Basketweaving from UT Austin than you would with a JD from either of these crappy law schools.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:12 pm

General Tso wrote:neither

tke12

Postby tke12 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:29 pm

those damn baskets are pretty high in demand these days...we'll see...

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:11 am

General Tso wrote:nobody is going to say neither?

I will then...Neither. I would think you'd be better off with a BA in Basketweaving from UT Austin than you would with a JD from either of these crappy law schools.

This is cute, and some wonderful TLS elitism, but not really that accurate. I dont know about Chapman, but STCL grads do alright in houston from everything I've heard. It's not UT or UH or Baylor or SMU, but it's easily the next best Texas law school. Far from a worthless degree, especially if you want to stay in Houston.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 am

Marionberry wrote:
General Tso wrote:nobody is going to say neither?

This is cute, and some wonderful TLS elitism, but not really that accurate. I dont know about Chapman, but STCL grads do alright in houston from everything I've heard. It's not UT or UH or Baylor or SMU, but it's easily the next best Texas law school. Far from a worthless degree, especially if you want to stay in Houston.

It's not elitism, it's pro-jobs.

Going to the third best school for Houston sounds fishy. I wouldn't do it.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 pm

rad law wrote:It's not elitism, it's pro-jobs.

Going to the third best school for Houston sounds fishy. I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't either, but my numbers will get me in somewhere better and I'm realistic about what kind of job I want. People who do well at STCL aren't without opportunities. Houston firms recruit pretty heavily from them, and especially if you're interested in criminal law stcl isn't a terrible school.

bcb1986

Postby bcb1986 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:31 pm

I would strongly disagree with this opinion--Tech and St. Mary's place better than STCL because they're not overshadowed by a higher ranked school in the same city. STCL and Wesleyan are on about the same level (one notch above TX Southern), and they will be joined next fall by UNT-Dallas.

Choose STCL if you know you can be happy in Houston or a small TX town for at least the first 4-5 years of your career and if you won't have huge mounds of debt to pay off. Assume you're going to graduate in the middle of your class when making a decision. I'm not sure what STCL's career stats are, but they're not as good as UofH in Houston as well as out-of-town schools including Baylor, SMU, UT, and in some cases Tech & St. Mary's. If you want to be a lawyer because you really want to practice law and not because you want to make money hand over fist, then go to STCL with confidence and do well. I know many successful STCL grads that have worked hard and become very reputable attorneys with more than enough money, but it was their hard work, not the name brand of their degrees, that got them there after putting in lots of hard work in the workforce. As a result, it took them a little longer to get there. If you're aware of and satisfied with this, STCL would be a good choice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”