Not sure what to do... Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Decide my future

Go to Wisconsin
21%
Reapply in the Fall
79%

Total votes: 43

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Not sure what to do...

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Unknownsou wrote:So if I take a year off, how legit does my job have to be? Chances are I'll end up working retail or something like that thanks to the economy, but if that's all I have to be doing in the meantime... I'll at least consider it.
Retail, restaurants, garbage man, shoveling shit... it doesn't matter. Just find something you can live with for a year and save some money.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Unknownsou wrote:So if I take a year off, how legit does my job have to be? Chances are I'll end up working retail or something like that thanks to the economy, but if that's all I have to be doing in the meantime... I'll at least consider it.
Retail, restaurants, garbage man, shoveling shit... it doesn't matter. Just find something you can live with for a year and save some money.
Is this credited? You really think schools won't care, just as long as your employed?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Hey-O wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Is this credited? You really think schools won't care, just as long as your employed?
Even if you're unemployed I don't think they'd care.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 pm

rad law wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Really? Even at T14? I'm asking because I'm unemployed right now and I'm wondering how to spin it.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:Get a job and reapply. I don't care if it is waiting tables. There is no reason to go to Wisconsin if that's not where you want to be, and going to a school with the intent to transfer is a bad idea. You really should reapply. Maybe even retake if you think you can improve your score. There must have been a glaring issue in your PS or your LORs for you to strike out like this.

You and I are numbers twins (168/3.75) and I got 60k to Vandy, 75k to WUSTL, 33k to UIUC, and acceptances to BU and Cornell. No reason you cannot do the same. Something is amiss here. I'd definitely wait a year and reapply (and potentially retake).
+1. This is soooo credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey-O wrote:
rad law wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Really? Even at T14? I'm asking because I'm unemployed right now and I'm wondering how to spin it.
Someone on TLS got into NW ED after a couple of years of waiting tables.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Get new LOR's and reapply as soon as possible next year. Either you applied too late or one of your recommenders had some nasty stuff to say.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Notor wrote:Get new LOR's and reapply as soon as possible next year. Either you applied too late or one of your recommenders had some nasty stuff to say.
I'm guessing this.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Let me temper the following argument with a comment: When they get down to it, they're going to look primarily at the numbers.

That being said, I think admission committee will absolutely look at your employment in the interim. Try to get a real gig. I understand the economy is tough right now and if you can only end up doing retail, try to see if you can get some sort of volunteer experience working for a campaign or interning with a senator or representative, or helping out at a law firm. It'll help you build connections, and also will make you stand out a bit.

Retail is boring. It doesn't show any of the things that they're looking for in a law student.

Joe Job > No Job, but dig deep. Hell, it will be good networking experience, which is one skill that way too many students graduate not having developed and it will absolutely help you when you're job searching for real in a few years.

Shalom,
TommyK

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Notor wrote:Get new LOR's and reapply as soon as possible next year. Either you applied too late or one of your recommenders had some nasty stuff to say.
I'm guessing this.
+1

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 pm

TommyK wrote:I understand the economy is tough right now and if you can only end up doing retail, try to see if you can get some sort of volunteer experience working for a campaign or interning with a senator or representative, or helping out at a law firm. It'll help you build connections, and also will make you stand out a bit.
This seems like pretty credited advice.

Unknownsou

New

Post by Unknownsou » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:04 pm

k, disregard all this. I just got into WUSTL off their waitlist. Getting 10k a year, which isn't massive amounts of cash, but I'll sure as hell take it.

Good things come to those who wait, kids.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Unknownsou wrote:k, disregard all this. I just got into WUSTL off their waitlist. Getting 10k a year, which isn't massive amounts of cash, but I'll sure as hell take it.

Good things come to those who wait, kids.
Mazel Tov

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”