I am stuck with T30. Reapply?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kehdrms

Re: I am stuck with T30. Reapply?

Postby kehdrms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

finalaspects wrote:
sumus romani wrote:That NLJ article is for the class of 2009, which did OCI in 2007. While the rankings of the schools might be accurate, the percentages are way, way too high. None of the schools you are talking about have over 15 percent going into biglaw now. If your only goal is biglaw, then you need to reconsider your whole plan, since it is not likely to succeed. Now, if you would be happy without biglaw and are willing to spend a few decades paying off the loans, then fine, these are great schools at sticker.

you're probably right about the percentages as all schools have been hit pretty hard. but if he wants the best shot at big law might as well try to go for the ranking aspects of it.

Are u guys talking about BC and WUSTL only, or Cornell as well?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

How many times have you taken the LSAT? Next year you could get at least 30k from WUSTL, especially with another point on your LSAT. That point or two would also really help getting you into Cornell if NYC Big Law is what you're set on.

Either way, the fact that you even made this thread means you probably should not go to BC. Paying sticker is a huge amount of $$, especially when your feeling about the school you're attending is "Am I stuck with T30?!". Additionally like jackalope said you should be in at a few T30s with good scholarships.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:02 pm

kehdrms wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
sumus romani wrote:That NLJ article is for the class of 2009, which did OCI in 2007. While the rankings of the schools might be accurate, the percentages are way, way too high. None of the schools you are talking about have over 15 percent going into biglaw now. If your only goal is biglaw, then you need to reconsider your whole plan, since it is not likely to succeed. Now, if you would be happy without biglaw and are willing to spend a few decades paying off the loans, then fine, these are great schools at sticker.

you're probably right about the percentages as all schools have been hit pretty hard. but if he wants the best shot at big law might as well try to go for the ranking aspects of it.

Are u guys talking about BC and WUSTL only, or Cornell as well?

all schools have been hit. t14 has been hit as well but less so than the rest.

kehdrms

Postby kehdrms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:03 pm

jackalope11 wrote:I reapplying is an option, that's the one to take... With your numbers, you should be polling about which scholarship offer you should accept, not which school in this range at which to pay sticker.

Did you apply late this cycle? If so (and if you're able to wait), do yourself a favor and reapply early this fall...

This cycle was really tough.. except for WUSTL and Cornell, don't really expect things to be marginally better.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm

kehdrms wrote:I'm 31, a rankings whore and I am stuck at this moment with BC with 167 / 3.7 and no $.
Actually, 167 is the June LSAT. 166 had me at BC and on waitlists at Vandy, WUSTL and NW.
I was hoping to get off some of these waitlists with the latest score, but a 167 doesn't seem enough (except maybe at WUSTL)

The question is, should I re-apply next cycle? 167 is the median at better-ranked schools like USC and Cornell (tho they will likely improve their median to 168 this year?)
and WUSTL certainly does seem to like anything above 167.

My goal is biglaw.. should I just go to BC? or re-apply? Considering my age, should I not let another year slip by? or should I ride out the waitlists and re-apply if it doesn't work? WUSTL or BC? Tons of questions going thru my head and no clear answers! Can anyone help??

a 167 3.7 would for sure get you into schools like wustl and gw. even with a 167 you still have no shot at vandy. however you'd have a 50/50 shot at cornell. i would wait an extra year for the increased shot at cornell and the almost guaranteed 45-90k from wustl. you can save money, get scholly money, and have an improved legal job market (hopefully).
Last edited by najumobi on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kehdrms

Postby kehdrms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 pm

missvik218 wrote:How many times have you taken the LSAT? Next year you could get at least 30k from WUSTL, especially with another point on your LSAT. That point or two would also really help getting you into Cornell if NYC Big Law is what you're set on.

Either way, the fact that you even made this thread means you probably should not go to BC. Paying sticker is a huge amount of $$, especially when your feeling about the school you're attending is "Am I stuck with T30?!". Additionally like jackalope said you should be in at a few T30s with good scholarships.

I've used up all my chances at the LSAT. I really do feel like I'm stuck.. especially with how the lady at BC Finaid treated my request to reconsider scholarship.
Last edited by kehdrms on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Holy shit, you are above the 75th percentile at BC for LSAT and uGPA, and you have no scholarship. You need to rethink this thing hard.

First, if you wait and apply next year, you should get into a better school or get a big scholarship. Plus, the market will have a year to improve. Remember, OCI for the class of 2013 is just one year from now. Things will be better two years from now, but whether OCI for class of 2013 is markedly better than now is up for debate.

I haven't really been folowing Cornell.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm

finalaspects wrote:
tram988 wrote:
kehdrms wrote:WUSTL is 19 and BC is 28 (and tied to 5 other schools, which is pathetic really)
I would honestly go to WUSTL if accepted despite the NY preference...

BC > WUSTL for nlj250. Historically and currently.

BC: 88 out of 254 got placed in nlj250.

WUSTL: 80 out of 291 got placed in nlj250

source: national law journal feb 22, 2010

For a school that's in missouri that's damn good. since many boston firms will recruit straight out of the BC i would expect them to be higher and they're closer to New York, but there's not that many nlj250 law firms in missouri so i would say the rankings do seem to be helping out WUSTL a lot. now if that school was in a location like boston, something tells me they'll have a much better nlj250 rate.

First off that is an inaccurate comparision but I agree its strong considering WUSTL's location. The 2009 NLJ250 show BC placing 34.6% of its students into those types of jobs, the same as BU. WUSTL placed 27.5%. Both are pretty respectable but considering OP's NYC destination I would think BC would have the leg up in that area.

Responding to the question regarding where the other 160 students are employed: the NLJ250 is only the 250 largest firms, what we usually associate with big-law. This is not something that everyone gets or desires. Don't forget about federal clerkships and other mid/small law jobs (I don't see WUSTL on this list....)
: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

Also I wouldn't pay sticker for BC-- but with a reasonable scholarship it seems attractive.

In 2005 and 2008 BC was placing around 45% in NLJ250 (this won't be happening again anytime soon but it shows how powerful the school has historically been.)
Last edited by tram988 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:08 pm

sumus romani wrote:Holy shit, you are above the 75th percentile at BC for LSAT and uGPA, and you have no scholarship. You need to rethink this thing hard.

yeah, OP going to BC at sticker with his stats would be a horrible move.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 pm

kehdrms wrote:
missvik218 wrote:How many times have you taken the LSAT? Next year you could get at least 30k from WUSTL, especially with another point on your LSAT. That point or two would also really help getting you into Cornell if NYC Big Law is what you're set on.

I've used up all my chances at the LSAT. I really do feel like I'm stuck.. especially with how the lady at BC Finaid treated my request to reconsider scholarship.

All we ever see on this site is advice to retake the LSAT. There is some truth to that in many cases.

But a lot of people here are suggesting that you can do much better with the numbers you have right now. Something might have been wrong with your application packet last time around. Or maybe the one point LSAT difference really does make a huge difference in this range of schools. Given what I see here and your statement of your goals, you can do much better. Hell, in the next year do something that improves your app package and apply early to Cornell and visit it at least once and meet with people there, etc.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:12 pm

^^ I'd probably reapply with those numbers next cycle and see if you can identify a problem with your application. Those aren't bad numbers at all. Did you apply late?

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Reapply but stop worrying so much about rankings. Its your grades that make the difference. You can go to WUSTL, the "number 19" law school in the country, but if you do poorly youre not going to get any job. Reapply as soon as youre able to (early October more than likely) and see how things roll.

Good luck!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:52 pm

tram988 wrote:
Responding to the question regarding where the other 160 students are employed: the NLJ250 is only the 250 largest firms, what we usually associate with big-law. This is not something that everyone gets or desires. Don't forget about federal clerkships and other mid/small law jobs (I don't see WUSTL on this list....)

actually if you check the list closer for clerks... WUSTL has more clerks than BC... 13 vs. 9 which turns out to be .050 vs. .034 respectively in percentages.

they barely didn't make the top 20 list but as you have agreed, the fact that this school is in missouri and it has more clerks to boot, is impressive. the list is a combination of both nlj250 + clerks. WUSTL is behind in nlj250 but higher in clerks.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 pm

finalaspects wrote:
tram988 wrote:

actually if you check the list closer for clerks... WUSTL has more clerks than BC... 13 vs. 9 which turns out to be .050 vs. .034 respectively in percentages.

they barely didn't make the top 20 list but as you have agreed, the fact that this school is in missouri and it has more clerks to boot, is impressive. the list is a combination of both nlj250 + clerks. WUSTL is behind in nlj250 but higher in clerks.

It definitely is impressive given its location. Actually, if you look at this, WUSTL barely beats BC with clerkships, if you look at the total: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... iii_clerks. WUSTL did have 5% more article 3 clerkships, but the total amount of federal clerkships are almost identical. I think this coupled with BC's better firm placement makes it a better choice, albeit not at sticker.

The chart that I post above that you commented on displays only article 3 clerkships and not the aggregate federal clerkships.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”