So has the "WL -> Accepted boat" already passed?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lfgsuperman

So has the "WL -> Accepted boat" already passed?

Postby lfgsuperman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:42 am

Have all the WL acceptances dried up? Are there no more to be handed out? Is all hope lost at this point? OR...should people on the WL just be patient and wait for the great "WL movement trickle down effect" to occur?

ggocat

Re: So has the "WL -> Accepted boat" already passed?

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:44 am

1. no.
2. no.
3. no.
4. yes.

ps -- you have made three identical threads.

APHill

Postby APHill » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:47 am

I doubt that there will be substantial movement on most waitlists.

UVA - no waitlist admits yet (maybe in August, if somebody dies in an accident, but I think they are already over 360, so good luck)
U of R - class is full
William and Mary - class is overcommitted.

This might be one of the most competitive law school admission cycles over the last few decades.

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:51 am

ggocat wrote:1. no.
2. no.
3. no.

What makes you say this?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 am

lfgsuperman wrote:
2. no.
3. no.

What makes you say this?

Because every year people are accepted at many schools as late as orientation. Doesn't mean an acceptance is likely for any particular person, but there are very likely offers to be made.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 am

lfgsuperman wrote:
2. no.
3. no.

What makes you say this?

Spend three minutes with the "search" function on the this website.

WL acceptances occur into August. See for example: me.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:28 pm

I was accepted off of a wait list a few days ago...

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:57 pm

I know that some people will get accepted off of the WL but I was just wondering why there have been so few WL acceptances over the past couple of months. Will WL acceptances continue to trickle in one or two at a time until classes start, or will July be the month were we really start to see movement?

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:31 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:I know that some people will get accepted off of the WL but I was just wondering why there have been so few WL acceptances over the past couple of months. Will WL acceptances continue to trickle in one or two at a time until classes start, or will July be the month were we really start to see movement?

I suspect we've seen the bulk of the movement, and it will be on a case-by-case basis from here on out. Trust me, I'm hoping for some movement because I am still on other wait lists!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:39 pm

We've seen people get in on the last day of orientation. The correct time to give up on your dream school is the first day you start classes somewhere else.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:48 pm

I think so.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:37 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:We've seen people get in on the last day of orientation. The correct time to give up on your dream school is the first day you start classes somewhere else of classes at that school.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:28 pm

I think more acceptances will be granted towards the end of this cycle relative to prior year's cycles; but I don't think it will be more than 10% - 20% of those on the waitlist (more likely, 5% - 10%).

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:22 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:We've seen people get in on the last day of orientation. The correct time to give up on your dream school is the first day you start classes somewhere else.

How do I set myself up to cut all financial ties with the school I am already deposited at in the event that I get accepted on the first day of my dream school's orientation? Wouldn't my safety school have already started to charge my student account for financial aid (there would a balance owed on my account) well before I started there? I want stay financially flexible with my safety school in order to leave open the possibility of attending my dream school?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:25 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:We've seen people get in on the last day of orientation. The correct time to give up on your dream school is the first day you start classes somewhere else.

How do I set myself up to cut all financial ties with the school I am already deposited at in the event that I get accepted on the first day of my dream school's orientation? Wouldn't my safety school have already started to charge my student account for financial aid (there would a balance owed on my account) well before I started there? I want stay financially flexible with my safety school in order to leave open the possibility of attending my dream school?

Ask your school about a full refund deadline. It should have one. Also try to keep your initial apartment lease as low as possible (but that's not a huge deal--you're probably lose a months rent and deposit).

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 am

ggocat wrote:Ask your school about a full refund deadline. It should have one.

Could you expound on this some more? Why would my safety school be required to give me a tuition refund if I withdraw?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:19 am

lfgsuperman wrote:

Could you expound on this some more? Why would my safety school be required to give me a tuition refund if I withdraw?

I'm not saying they are required to do it by law, but they probably do it.

Certainly before you pay your first semester's tuition, look into the policies. If there is no refund grace period, look into the penalties for paying late. A small late fee would be better than the risk of not having tuition refunded.

(And in fact, they might be required to do it by law. You'd be paying a semester worth of tuition for virtually no benefit. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unjust_enrichment and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscionability.)

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 am

ggocat wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:

Certainly before you pay your first semester's tuition, look into the policies. If there is no refund grace period, look into the penalties for paying late. A small late fee would be better than the risk of not having tuition refunded.

(And in fact, they might be required to do it by law. You'd be paying a semester worth of tuition for virtually no benefit. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unjust_enrichment and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscionability.)

Thanks!

nymario

Postby nymario » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 am

ggocat wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:

Seats in a Law School class on the day classes start are not like widgets that you can put back on the shelf. Early in the cycle, of course there's someone else to take the place. Even on the first day at a top school, they can probably resell it. But at a lot of schools, if you wait until the dying moments, the seat goes unsold. At the very least, a sizable "restocking" fee is in order that late.

I agree that the school's policy should control here, I severely doubt there's a legal recourse against a stated policy charing some % of the tuition where the redress is a full refund.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 pm

nymario wrote:But at a lot of schools, if you wait until the dying moments, the seat goes unsold.

Nope. Even the schools least in demand can fill the seats at the last minute. These schools prepare for people to jump ship last minute, and thus, maintain a combed waitlist of potential students ready to jump at the chance--remember, even Cooley rejected 1205 applicants last year. A school operates on budgets--it plans carefully to meet the budget.

nymario wrote:I severely doubt there's a legal recourse against a stated policy charing some % of the tuition where the redress is a full refund.

Yep, it's possible a small percentage would hold up as a reasonable liquidated damage, although a large percentage would likely not hold up. Keep in mind, also, that the school has a duty to mitigate damages. Thus, it must make reasonable efforts to recover loss due to breach (such as accepting a student off the waitlist).

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:51 pm

I know at least a couple schools that will immediately admit people off the waitlist if someone who is admitted does not show up at registration. Can't speak for how common the practice is, but there you go.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 pm

When are most tuitions due? Is it around the middle of July? If so I would expect some movement by then if it going to happen. It looks like some people have multiple deposits and pretty soon they have to pick a school and pay up!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”