Villanova vs. a full ride

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coupdayta

Villanova vs. a full ride

Postby coupdayta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Hey everybody, so I just got in to Villanova off the wait list today. I live in Cincinnati and was planning to move forward with accepting a full ride from Salmon P. Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University. Now I'm not sure what to do. Obviously Villanova is Top 100 and NKU is T4, but I'm worried about having to take on massive amounts of debt. I'll have to take out loans for living expenses in suburban Philly as well as for the full cost of tuition. I doubt I'll receive any aid from Villanova. Thoughts?

vanwinkle

Re: Villanova vs. a full ride

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Why do you want to go to law school? What are your goals regarding where you want to work and what you want to do?

Also, is your username an attempt at spelling "coup d'état"?

coupdayta

Postby coupdayta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm sure I'll get a lot of shit for this but I know I want to be in a position where I am financially comfortable while at the same time devoting as much of my efforts to practicing law that helps people. I'm not really sure what that's going to translate to. As far as where I want to end up and work, I'm not sure. I'm from Cincinnati and a big believer in the urban renewal that's beginning to happen here. I'd like to go to a school where I have options about where I end up geographically. I could see myself being happy in the big cities along the coast, but also back in Ohio.

And as for my SN, it's a throwback from my old AOL SN. It's not an attempt at spelling coupdayta, it's what I chose because "coupdetat" was taken when I picked my name all those years ago.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Honestly, I don't think Nova's worth the money...

But, how in the world are you left with the choice of either Villanova or t4? :shock:

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:53 pm

If you want to be in Cinci, a full ride from NKU is without a doubt the better choice.

I don't think Villanova is worth sticker, especially considering you want to be in Cincinnati.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 pm

deadpanic wrote:If you want to be in Cinci, a full ride from NKU is without a doubt the better choice.

I don't think Villanova is worth sticker, especially considering you want to be in Cincinnati.

coupdayta

Postby coupdayta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:00 pm

kk19131 wrote:Honestly, I don't think Nova's worth the money...

But, how in the world are you left with the choice of either Villanova or t4? :shock:

I got cocky about my admission prospects. We'll leave it at that. Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming if you don't mind.

And I don't necessarily want to be in Cincinnati 100%. I just want the option of being able to come back here. Who knows what I'll think after three years of life along the east coast?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:02 pm

coupdayta wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Honestly, I don't think Nova's worth the money...

I got cocky about my admission prospects. We'll leave it at that. Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming if you don't mind.

And I don't necessarily want to be in Cincinnati 100%. I just want the option of being able to come back here. Who knows what I'll think after three years of life along the east coast?

I think you should take the scholarship and maybe try to transfer (although I don't know how good your prospects would be).

I really don't think Villanova is a school worth sticker price... even if you want to stay on the East Coast.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:10 pm

deadpanic wrote:If you want to be in Cinci, a full ride from NKU is without a doubt the better choice.

I agree with this, but OP also indicated he screwed up his admission cycle. If so, he might be better off reapplying. This could also allow him to prepare for and take the October LSAT, with potentially far better admission results.

Between the two schools named, though, full ride at NKU is TCR.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:17 pm

I cannot offer much help other than to note that Villanova is a very well respected regional law school. I am not familiar enough with Northern Kentucky to comment other than to say that if you accept a full tuition scholarship & do well in your first year of law school, then you should be able to transfer if you are unhappy there.

stintez

Postby stintez » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Go to NKU and you should have applied to Cincinnati and OSU but other than that know this WHO DEY and GO REDS. Way to sweep the As.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Reapply (and Retake if you think you can do better).

Neither one of those schools will give much in the way of options.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:12 pm

If you can break 172 on the LSAT, reapply and go T14
If you can break 165 on the LSAT reapply and go strong state
If you can't do either and are happy with full ride at T4, take T4.
Don't pay full price at Villanova.
You could also see if they will discuss a scholly

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”