Late waitlist acceptance and apartment leases

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
d-cannon

Re: Late waitlist acceptance and apartment leases

Postby d-cannon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:28 pm

peeker82 wrote:
are you serious??? you just cashed out $14k? just like that?? why didnt you look for someone to take over your lease? people do that all the time!

Slightly different situation. I have a family and it was a 3,500 square foot house. The $14K was a little over 6 months of rent. The management company has the house back on the market and will reimburse me if it rents before my "donation" runs out. I live in NC and the house is 8 hours away.
My credit score (806) and personal/financial background are spotless. I want to keep it that way. I also "saved" the several thousand dollars I would have spent on moving. (that's how I spin it)

I think some of you future lawyers should check the laws in your state. You may be surprised. In GA, I could have been held for the full lease.

The bottom line is that signing a lease is entering into a contract where you will pay a certain amount over time for a residence. Walking away from that contract doesn't mean you get to walk away from your obligation to pay the full amount.

Emma1

Re: Late waitlist acceptance and apartment leases

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am

Well the rentor is under an obligation to take reasonable steps to rent the house/apartment so hopefully you will receive your money back. Make sure they have listed it. Also did you check on your right to sublease this house? In many states you have a right to do this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”