Thomas Jefferson School of Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rgucsb

Bronze

Thomas Jefferson School of Law

Post by rgucsb » Fri May 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Could anyone provide me constructive information on the law school? What is its reputation like in San Diego? How does it place in private law firms? I have been accepted, waiting for a scholarship offer at the moment.

I am interested in practicing law in SD and already have job connections through various internships.

WWAD

Bronze

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law

Post by WWAD » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 pm

I would talk to your connections about it first. It is not the top school in a tough market with a tough economy, so unless you have a job set up and just want to save money with the scholly, I would be careful and know what you are up against. The new building and location are great and it might influence the overall school, but since that is a maybe just know what your options are.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Sat May 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Sun May 23, 2010 3:43 pm

use the search button

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 pm

thanks for the responses, I was also at admitted students day. I was impressed with the faculty and students but the current building was really ugly. Thankfully, their new campus is in an unbeatable area but fall 2010 students will have to spend one semester in the shitty campus. Any other thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 pm

thanks for the insight birdman, ill have to look into getting a tour. Did you decide on TJLS already?
I'm still debating between TJLS and NYLS. What was it about TJLS that swayed you, besides the $

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue May 25, 2010 7:02 pm

I just finished my 1L year at TJ, I loved it but there were some drawbacks as with all schools. If you all wanted to post some specific questions about the school I would be happy to answer them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Tue May 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Awesome, I have a few. What's the general reputation of the school in the city? Do you think Cal Western is regarded better or are they about the same? The faculty said they are very hands on, did you find that helpful?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue May 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Birdman wrote:Awesome, I have a few.

1) What's the general reputation of the school in the city?
2) Do you think Cal Western is regarded better or are they about the same?
3) The faculty said they are very hands on, did you find that helpful?
I numbered your questions to make my answering a bit easier.

1) I am not from Cali so coming in I knew very little about the school's reputation. Everyone I have met outside of school has heard of it at least. 1L is spent in the library for the most part so beyond my summer job search I did not get a lot of exposure to the professional opinion of the school. I got a paying legal job in another market. I know several students who did find work in SD, a few which paid too, but they all had local ties. All of the paying jobs were in PI (personal injury not public interest) firms.

2) Yes, Cal Western is considered to be a small step above, especially with the possible UCSD merger. USD is the king law school in SD so if your not there I would take the bigger scholly between Cal Western and TJ.

Our career services told me that they are hoping that the merger goes through, but I could not understand how that would benefit us.

3) The faculty is absolutely awesome. I had 8 profs between the 2 semesters and all were fabulous. Seriously no complaints on that end. I used office hours regularly and they were always available and eager to help. It seemed like a vast majority of students did not take advantage of this, I don't know why.

I was blown away at first by the pedigrees and intelligence of all my profs. Check out the faculty profiles on the TJ website and you will see that at least in the quality of the teaching, TJ can compete with anyone.

EDIT: Also I saved all of my outlines from 1L so if you or anyone reading this decides to attend let me know and I can pass them along.
Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:48 pm

I guess a follow up question would be how do TJ graduates do in San Diego? Do most get employment elsewhere (I read that a lot go to Nevada)?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Birdman wrote:I guess a follow up question would be how do TJ graduates do in San Diego? Do most get employment elsewhere (I read that a lot go to Nevada)?
That is tough to gauge since a vast majority of my friends are 1Ls. I do know a few graduating 3Ls, all of whom have jobs lined up. I think the vast majority of graduates stay in SoCal. Nevada and Arizona are also big destinations but that is just what I have heard around school.

The school itself is very sketchy with employment stats. They did not report to USNews and each time I pressed for statistics and clerkship info I was denied
Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Tue May 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks for the valuable insight JPU, I will most likely be attending next fall.

Birdman-I spoke with a lawyer at the PD's office in San Diego that I interned for about Cal West and TJSL. He said CW was only a minor step above TJSL and that the schools would most likely become even more even after the new campus opens. Personally, I would take the 15K at TJSL.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I have to stay in the top 30% to keep the scholarship for 2L though, which I may very well be able to do. Hopefully, anyways.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed May 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Birdman wrote:I'm still deciding between Cal Western and TJ but yeah the half tuition scholarship and the fact that I already paid my deposit is weighing on me. I want to live and practice in Southern California so I withdrew from Syracuse and Vermont where I got no money. TJ's professors and staff seemed very nice and very eager to help their students. It seems like they have a hands on culture with their students. Dean Hasl is the longest serving law school Dean in the U.S. and has helped build up all the schools he was at before (Saint Louis, St. John's, Seattle). For me I want a career in public service (d.a., etc.) so it helps that the D.A. and head public defender of SD county are both TJ alums. I just get the feeling that its a law school on the rise, it may always be third to USD and Cal Western though. CW has a rough curve and a lot of people fail out. TJ just changed their grading policy this year and it seems like its a lot less likely to fail out now (if you do really bad you might just have to retake the course, replacing your old grade) and their curve is more generous so that will help when looking for employment. Their new grading policy is on their website in the student handbook. I guess it depends where you want to practice NY or CA. Also the food they catered was awesome at the ASD, big fan of italian food.
Go to Cal Western. They have a far greater reputation in the area, especially given that the two are similarly ranked. Good luck.

mattpen

New

Post by mattpen » Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 pm

I've also decided to go to TJ after a visit and talking with the faculty and students. The relationship between faculty and students was something I didn't find anywhere else and the faculty seemed genuinely interested in the students and their success. I also was impressed by their old campus but can't wait til the new campus opens. I'm not from So Cal but thought the old building was nice, with a cool courtyard to relax for a few. The library however was not nice at all and left a lot to be desired. Seems like they're doing a lot of good work for the opening of their new building. Gym memberships for all the students, and buying up leases in a building so students can live in the same building. The sense of community that will come out of the next year will really help the school in a variety of ways.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Go to Cal Western. They have a far greater reputation in the area, especially given that the two are similarly ranked. Good luck.[/quote]

Yes, but is it worth $60,000 more in loans ($189,000)? That's what I need to figure out.

WWAD

Bronze

Post by WWAD » Wed May 26, 2010 7:35 pm

I feel like CW has a little better rep too, but I was willing to go to TJ if I got more money there, because I like what it seems like it is doing with the new building. I was surprised by more money from CW, which my numbers didn't suggest I would get. So I will be attending CW, but the new building looks great as does the location. One problem I would have with 1L at TJ this fall is the idea that the hardest year will have a lot of the schools focus on the move. I was down there over the weekend and it looks like the fences are down.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

JPU wrote:I just finished my 1L year at TJ, I loved it but there were some drawbacks as with all schools. If you all wanted to post some specific questions about the school I would be happy to answer them.
Since you offered, I'd like to ask something. How do you think it is for most people attending there? You mention you are (or were) number 1 in the class. What about those that aren't? Do a lot of people regret their decision to go there? How much debt do you think is too much?

There is a lot of doom and gloom on these boards about going to a school like that. I'm wondering if it's that bad.

caligurl25

New

Post by caligurl25 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:53 pm

mattpen wrote:Gym memberships for all the students, and buying up leases in a building so students can live in the same building.
No way?!? Gym memberships where?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu May 27, 2010 12:15 am

Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 am

We were ranked #1 in USNews for grads with the most debt, think about that. Our grads on average have more debt than Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley grads and all those schools are in higher COL areas.
:shock: Yeah that's shocking.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, if I went to one of the San Diego schools I could live with my mom potentially. Not the ideal way to live. But the only practical thing for me I think. Good luck on your grades

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Thu May 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”