Should I retake LSAT or not?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
musicfor18

Should I retake LSAT or not?

Postby musicfor18 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 am

So, my numbers are 167/3.7. I've gotten into some good schools (but no T14 admits, just a couple of WLs).

Unfortunately, I have a medical problem that might very well necessitate waiting a year to enroll. I could defer enrollment, or I could retake the LSAT. Do you think it's worth it and would give me a much better shot at a T14?

The first time around, I just studied on my own with Kaplan books and PrepTests. I'll admit that I only took one practice test under simulated conditions. This time around, if I retake, I'll take a prep course (Testmasters or Powerscore).

Comments? How many more points do I need to significantly improve my chances?

NancyBotwin

Re: Should I retake LSAT or not?

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 am

If you think you can do better, then yes, retaking is a good idea. However, don't use TestMasters - search around on the forum and you'll see why. Having said that, I don't think a prep course will help too much if you're already scoring in the high 160s, unless your weak spot is games. Just take LOTS of timed PTs, and give yourself only 30 or 32 minutes per section instead of 35.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 18, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah, everything Nancy said. If you're going to wait a year, might as well retake and re-cycle.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:23 am

It's been a year and a half now since I took the LSAT. I feel very rusty on it and would probably take considerable effort to get back to the point I was at in Feb 2009 when I took it. That's partially why I was thinking of taking the prep course. What would recommend over Testmasters?

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue May 18, 2010 2:23 am

Agree: Retake. Save the $, take lots of simulated PTs. Mix in some endurance work (more than 5 sections in a row), speed work (less than 35 minutes per section), review everything, take more tests, PROFIT.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:24 am

NayBoer wrote:Yeah, everything Nancy said. If you're going to wait a year, might as well retake and re-cycle.

Any idea whether schools look down on reapplying after having been accepted and turning down the offer? Do you get a negative bump for this?

If, as a worst-case scenario, I'm not able to score higher, I wonder what the chances of getting rejected next cycle from the school I was accepted into with scholarship this cycle?

missbutterbean

Postby missbutterbean » Tue May 18, 2010 1:30 pm

If you only need a point or two, I would consider tutoring. One of my friends tutored with Powerscore (haven't heard much about other companies) and liked that she could focus on her weakpoints and not waste time reviewing the areas where she was already solid. She tutored for a few hours and went from a 162 to a 166. She mentioned that her tutor scored a 178 so she definitely had an expert helping her.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 18, 2010 1:34 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Yeah, everything Nancy said. If you're going to wait a year, might as well retake and re-cycle.

Any idea whether schools look down on reapplying after having been accepted and turning down the offer? Do you get a negative bump for this?

If, as a worst-case scenario, I'm not able to score higher, I wonder what the chances of getting rejected next cycle from the school I was accepted into with scholarship this cycle?
I don't have enough information to comment intelligently on this. I know it happens often and people regularly get into the same school several years in a row. Just don't deposit and bail without a good reason. Check other threads where people have asked about this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”