Been accepted into a school you thought u had little chance?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bk1

Re: Been accepted into a school you thought u had little chance?

Postby bk1 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:09 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Well then do you mind taking a stab at the question I posed before your last comment, since I couldn't find it on the search? :lol:

The wording of your question was a bit confusing for me, but I think you are asking how ED applies to applying to both PT and FT?

If that is your question, the way I think it works is that if you ED and select both PT and FT, if they accept you, they will choose either PT or FT and you will be bound to go to that division at that school

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Mon May 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Below the 25th percentile in both LSAT and GPA and was accepted into 3 of my 7 reaches, 2 others were WLs. For me it was simply my W/E and other softs.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 6:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Well then do you mind taking a stab at the question I posed before your last comment, since I couldn't find it on the search? :lol:

The wording of your question was a bit confusing for me, but I think you are asking how ED applies to applying to both PT and FT?

If that is your question, the way I think it works is that if you ED and select both PT and FT, if they accept you, they will choose either PT or FT and you will be bound to go to that division at that school

Yes, that was the question. Thanks for your advice bk1. :wink:

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Below the 25th percentile in both LSAT and GPA and was accepted into 3 of my 7 reaches, 2 others were WLs. For me it was simply my W/E and other softs.

^^That's what I'm talking about. Awesome.

I hope my 4 years of work experience help me too.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon May 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Outright acceptances to W&L and W&M after they received my fourth LSAT score - I didn't expect that to come so quickly. Certianly didn't expect UVA. I believe I was below 25% percentile for all three schools.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Ok, so when filling out/sending out your applications, pick one school that you really want to go to/have a fair shot of going to and only check ED on this school's? What if, by chance, you get a "no" back before applying to another school. You could do it again with another school, etc?

Correct. Just only one at a time (usually, some schools have non-binding ED, but that's kind of pointless and I only mention it to head off the TLS trolls).

While the one at a time is generally correct, NU seems to have a different view on this.

Just looked this up because I hadn't heard about this.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... cision.pdf

Wow, so not only can you not ED at NU after rejection somewhere else, but they're claiming that if THEY reject you ED, you still can't ED somewhere else. That seems really, really shady.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:22 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Ok, so when filling out/sending out your applications, pick one school that you really want to go to/have a fair shot of going to and only check ED on this school's? What if, by chance, you get a "no" back before applying to another school. You could do it again with another school, etc?

Correct. Just only one at a time (usually, some schools have non-binding ED, but that's kind of pointless and I only mention it to head off the TLS trolls).

While the one at a time is generally correct, NU seems to have a different view on this.

Just looked this up because I hadn't heard about this.

Wow, so not only can you not ED at NU after rejection somewhere else, but they're claiming that if THEY reject you ED, you still can't ED somewhere else. That seems really, really shady.

I emailed their adcomms and they confirmed this. I don't know why their policy differs from everyone else.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Just looked this up because I hadn't heard about this.

I emailed their adcomms and they confirmed this. I don't know why their policy differs from everyone else.

Obviously, I don't have the legal education to comment yet, but I'm wondering if this is even legal. It seems to run in a very anti-competitive vein, and my perception from reading news etc. is something like "policies that artificially restrict competition are not kosher."

Given that they're a law school (duh), I'm sure it is, but it still seems pretty questionable.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Mon May 17, 2010 8:55 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Just looked this up because I hadn't heard about this.

Obviously, I don't have the legal education to comment yet, but I'm wondering if this is even legal. It seems to run in a very anti-competitive vein, and my perception from reading news etc. is something like "policies that artificially restrict competition are not kosher."

Given that they're a law school (duh), I'm sure it is, but it still seems pretty questionable.

Uh, sketchiest policy ever Northwestern.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 am

billyez wrote:Outright acceptances to W&L and W&M after they received my fourth LSAT score - I didn't expect that to come so quickly. Certianly didn't expect UVA. I believe I was below 25% percentile for all three schools.

Wow, that's really great. Did you have any other circumstances that you believed helped you? Also, kudos on the 4th score.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”