Been accepted into a school you thought u had little chance?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
d34d9823

Re: Been accepted into a school you thought u had little chance?

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

eandy wrote:Darling, I hate to tell you this, but fee waivers exist to boost a school's ranking. It doesn't mean that they are any more likely to accept you. You see, for every applicant that they deny, their selectivity is higher. Selectivity is one of the things in the formula used in the US News rankings.

TITCR

Also, lol at NYU giving fee waivers to everyone with a pulse.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

eandy wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
dakatz wrote:Yeah, I got into U. Chicago even though I thought I had pretty much no chance of getting in, and only applied since I got a fee waiver.

So are fee waivers something that schools send you when you they are interested in you, or do you apply for them to save money on applications to school on the LSAC site? Srs question, not in the app process yet so would appreciate any info or link to a valuable fee waiver thread. :?

Darling, I hate to tell you this, but fee waivers exist to boost a school's ranking. It doesn't mean that they are any more likely to accept you. You see, for every applicant that they deny, their selectivity is higher. Selectivity is one of the things in the formula used in the US News rankings.

Gotcha. I thought that fee waivers were for people that couldn't necessarily afford to pay for applications to a bunch of schools and were hoping for financial help.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 pm

eandy wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:How about the word ED :?:

This stands for Early Decision, which is a commitment, generally binding, to enroll at a school should they accept you. The benefit of it is that it makes you much more likely to be accepted since the school knows you won't turn them down.

and will pay sticker price.

Which is awesome for the school because they generally have to shell out cash to compete for qualified people.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
eandy wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
dakatz wrote:Yeah, I got into U. Chicago even though I thought I had pretty much no chance of getting in, and only applied since I got a fee waiver.

So are fee waivers something that schools send you when you they are interested in you, or do you apply for them to save money on applications to school on the LSAC site? Srs question, not in the app process yet so would appreciate any info or link to a valuable fee waiver thread. :?

Darling, I hate to tell you this, but fee waivers exist to boost a school's ranking. It doesn't mean that they are any more likely to accept you. You see, for every applicant that they deny, their selectivity is higher. Selectivity is one of the things in the formula used in the US News rankings.

Gotcha. I thought that fee waivers were for people that couldn't necessarily afford to pay for applications to a bunch of schools and were hoping for financial help.

That is a different fee waiver. There are three types of fee waivers:
1. LSAC waiver(that is for the people who are financially needy and apply on the LSAC website for a waiver)
2. Solicited fee waivers, where the applicant emails a school and asks for a waiver.
3. Unsolicited waivers, which we are discussing above, which schools offer candidates to entice them to apply(not because they are special snowflakes, but because their application boosts their ranking).

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

This stands for Early Decision, which is a commitment, generally binding, to enroll at a school should they accept you. The benefit of it is that it makes you much more likely to be accepted since the school knows you won't turn them down.

Wait, so say I start applying to school in July, for 2011 (yes, figured why not) then they could possibly say to me "you're accepted, but you have to commit to us now before receving other notifications?" How does this process generally work? Again, sorry for stupid questions guys/girls, I geniunely want to learn about these things to help my future school applications.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon May 17, 2010 12:47 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Wait, so say I start applying to school in July, for 2011 (yes, figured why not) then they could possibly say to me "you're accepted, but you have to commit to us now before receving other notifications?" How does this process generally work? Again, sorry for stupid questions guys/girls, I geniunely want to learn about these things to help my future school applications.

You apply in September. If they accept you, you promise to withdraw applications from all other schools and to attend. So you will never know whether or not you got into your other schools. You will likely not get a scholarship.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 12:49 pm

quote]
That is a different fee waiver. There are three types of fee waivers:
1. LSAC waiver(that is for the people who are financially needy and apply on the LSAC website for a waiver)
2. Solicited fee waivers, where the applicant emails a school and asks for a waiver.
3. Unsolicited waivers, which we are discussing above, which schools offer candidates to entice them to apply(not because they are special snowflakes, but because their application boosts their ranking).[/quote]

Makes a lot more sense now. I think the LSAC limit for fee waivers is what, 3? If I read the site correctly.

So you could then also contact each school and ask for a fee waiver from them (not LSAC related)?

And then also, a lot of school encourage you to apply just to turn you down? This would also be the same case for a school that wants you to get accepted and are truly interested, right? They may send you a waiver and you could get in, so the only way to tell is to apply no?

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon May 17, 2010 12:52 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Makes a lot more sense now. I think the LSAC limit for fee waivers is what, 3? If I read the site correctly.

So you could then also contact each school and ask for a fee waiver from them (not LSAC related)?

And then also, a lot of school encourage you to apply just to turn you down? This would also be the same case for a school that wants you to get accepted and are truly interested, right? They may send you a waiver and you could get in, so the only way to tell is to apply no?

Yes, you can email the school and ask for a waiver. Generally that only works if your numbers are at least median.

The waiver tells you nothing about your chances of getting in. So, it is the same as any other school in applying and waiting to see what happens.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 12:53 pm

eandy wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

You apply in September. If they accept you, you promise to withdraw applications from all other schools and to attend. So you will never know whether or not you got into your other schools. You will likely not get a scholarship.

Ahh...So you'd hear from them probably not long after applying and would probably have some (if not a lot) of unknown applications out there? What would they do send you a letter saying you've been admitted for early discussion, and as terms you need to withdrawal all other offers?

How would they know if you have others still out to see your chances? I'm assuming they give you a short window to seal the deal?

Also, guessing you'd only take them up on their offer if it's your top choice, etc? What if you deny them that (because you don't want to withdraw others) and end up not getting in to others? You'd have to reapply next cycle I assume?

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Mon May 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Ahh...So you'd hear from them probably not long after applying and would probably have some (if not a lot) of unknown applications out there? What would they do send you a letter saying you've been admitted for early discussion, and as terms you need to withdrawal all other offers?

How would they know if you have others still out to see your chances? I'm assuming they give you a short window to seal the deal?

Also, guessing you'd only take them up on their offer if it's your top choice, etc? What if you deny them that (because you don't want to withdraw others) and end up not getting in to others? You'd have to reapply next cycle I assume?

You don't get offered ED, you apply under ED conditions (if you decide these conditions are acceptable to you). There is a box you check on the application that says, "I am applying as an Early Decision candidate with full knowledge of the terms and conditions." The terms say that if they accept you, you must matriculate there and withdrawl all your other applications. If they don't accept you, you are free to see what other schools think of you and attend any school of your choosing. Only select an ED option if you are sure, 100% that you will attend a school if admitted. Remember that it's an OPTION, they won't offer it and you won't be forced to choose it; however, your chances of acceptance will vastly improve if you lock yourself into a school.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:

You don't get offered ED, you apply under ED conditions (if you decide these conditions are acceptable to you). There is a box you check on the application that says, "I am applying as an Early Decision candidate with full knowledge of the terms and conditions." The terms say that if they accept you, you must matriculate there and withdrawl all your other applications. If they don't accept you, you are free to see what other schools think of you and attend any school of your choosing. Only select an ED option if you are sure, 100% that you will attend a school if admitted. Remember that it's an OPTION, they won't offer it and you won't be forced to choose it; however, your chances of acceptance will vastly improve if you lock yourself into a school.

So it's basically to show them your great interest?

3 questions from this then:

1) If you'd be willing to go to let's say 4 schools, if either accept you, would you check the box on all 4 and see and go with the one that admits you?
2) What if you are applying for a school and are willing to go either FULL or PART time if they accept you? Would that box say that you'd be agreeing to go there whether full or part time, or only if accepted full time (cause you might get in their part time program, but get offers from others full time program).
3) Also, this wouldn't count for there AAMPLE type programs right? Just full acceptance (i.e. I wouldn't be locked if I click Early Discussion and they offered me one of those summer type programs, instead of regular admissions, right?)

Sorry for so many questions.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:22 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:So it's basically to show them your great interest?

1) If you'd be willing to go to let's say 4 schools, if either accept you, would you check the box on all 4 and see and go with the one that admits you?
2) What if you are applying for a school and are willing to go either FULL or PART time if they accept you? Would that box say that you'd be agreeing to go there whether full or part time, or only if accepted full time (cause you might get in their part time program, but get offers from others full time program).
3) Also, this wouldn't count for there AAMPLE type programs right? Just full acceptance (i.e. I wouldn't be locked if I click Early Discussion and they offered me one of those summer type programs, instead of regular admissions, right?)

1. This is generally not allowed and schools will typically eliminate you from consideration for doing this. Why? Because you basically perjured yourself by signing contracts that are mutually exclusive in fulfillment.

2/3. Don't know

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 4:31 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

1. This is generally not allowed and schools will typically eliminate you from consideration for doing this. Why? Because you basically perjured yourself by signing contracts that are mutually exclusive in fulfillment.

2/3. Don't know

I'm saying by checking that box on the applications. Not having receiving a ED from the school. How could they know if you click ED on 4 applications?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:40 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

2/3. Don't know

I'm saying by checking that box on the applications. Not having receiving a ED from the school. How could they know if you click ED on 4 applications?

Dude, checking that box IS signing a binding contract. And the adcoms all know each other, they frequently out unethical people to each other (Michigan's adcom blogged about doing this the other day).

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 5:42 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

2/3. Don't know

Dude, checking that box IS signing a binding contract. And the adcoms all know each other, they frequently out unethical people to each other (Michigan's adcom blogged about doing this the other day).

Ok, so when filling out/sending out your applications, pick one school that you really want to go to/have a fair shot of going to and only check ED on this school's? What if, by chance, you get a "no" back before applying to another school. You could do it again with another school, etc?

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 pm

where can i find michigan's adcomm blog?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:45 pm

The search feature will answer a lot of your questions. It ain't that hard to use.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:45 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Ok, so when filling out/sending out your applications, pick one school that you really want to go to/have a fair shot of going to and only check ED on this school's? What if, by chance, you get a "no" back before applying to another school. You could do it again with another school, etc?

Correct. Just only one at a time (usually, some schools have non-binding ED, but that's kind of pointless and I only mention it to head off the TLS trolls).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:48 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Ok, so when filling out/sending out your applications, pick one school that you really want to go to/have a fair shot of going to and only check ED on this school's? What if, by chance, you get a "no" back before applying to another school. You could do it again with another school, etc?

Correct. Just only one at a time (usually, some schools have non-binding ED, but that's kind of pointless and I only mention it to head off the TLS trolls).

While the one at a time is generally correct, NU seems to have a different view on this.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 5:49 pm

bk1 wrote:The search feature will answer a lot of your questions. It ain't that hard to use.

I'm aware of that. But if I already have knowledgeable people offering advice, what's the harm in asking? LOL-it's not like I'm starting a new thread for ED, Waivers, etc. Just learning man.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Also, do you know if you apply to the same school for their Full or Part time program, it would apply to but correct? For instance, Stetson offers an application with a Full and Part application selection.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
bk1 wrote:The search feature will answer a lot of your questions. It ain't that hard to use.

I'm aware of that. But if I already have knowledgeable people offering advice, what's the harm in asking? LOL-it's not like I'm starting a new thread for ED, Waivers, etc. Just learning man.

If the same information can be easily found via the search feature, why not? Constantly asking questions that have been answered will make people less likely to give you an answer in the future to a legitimate question that does not have a so readily found an answer.

And this is an internet forum, there really is no harm in doing practically anything here. However, people like what TLS has to offer and I think many users would appreciate not having to filter through useless chaff, whether it be a new thread or a new question posed in an existing thread.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Dude, checking that box IS signing a binding contract. And the adcoms all know each other, they frequently out unethical people to each other (Michigan's adcom blogged about doing this the other day).

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

Wow, just wow, how is that not posted all over TLS. I wonder who did it.. Come clean whoever you are?

EDIT: 2 tries now to get my quotes right....
Last edited by Unitas on Mon May 17, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

If the same information can be easily found via the search feature, why not? Constantly asking questions that have been answered will make people less likely to give you an answer in the future to a legitimate question that does not have a so readily found an answer.

And this is an internet forum, there really is no harm in doing practically anything here. However, people like what TLS has to offer and I think many users would appreciate not having to filter through useless chaff, whether it be a new thread or a new question posed in an existing thread.

Well then do you mind taking a stab at the question I posed before your last comment, since I couldn't find it on the search? :lol:

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Unitas wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Dude, checking that box IS signing a binding contract. And the adcoms all know each other, they frequently out unethical people to each other (Michigan's adcom blogged about doing this the other day).

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

Wow, just wow, how is that not posted all over TLS. I wonder who did it.. Come clean whoever you are?

EDIT: 2 tries now to get my quotes right....

Wow, that was a good read.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”