More important factor?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Most important decission factor?

COST
15%
Area of practice
14%
Chances of employment
71%

Total votes: 65

Dollaz

More important factor?

Postby Dollaz » Fri May 14, 2010 10:24 am

Cost, Field of choice, or Employment.

I have been interested in Ent law for years. I realize this is an extremely hard field to get into, and probably harder to be successful. With that being said, Entrainment law is almost non-existent in cities other than LA and NY.

What is the most important factor to consider when making a choice: the debt incurred, the specialties offered by school/location, or the chances for employment.

kittenmittons

Re: More important factor?

Postby kittenmittons » Fri May 14, 2010 10:26 am

Employment

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:30 am

Dollaz wrote:I have been interested in Ent law for years.

You have to have a lot of patience for that. Their councils can go on for years. Also they don't like fire, so I hope you're not a smoker.

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am

d34dluk3 wrote:

You have to have a lot of patience for that.
Their councils can go on for years. Also they don't like fire, so I hope you're not a smoker.

I have no idea what your talking about

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 am

Dollaz wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Their councils can go on for years. Also they don't like fire, so I hope you're not a smoker.

I think that was an attempt at lord of the rings humor?

From wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ent:
". . . they are vulnerable to fire and chopping blows from axes. Ents are also an extremely patient race. They are not "hasty", as Treebeard says, for they take their time discussing things."

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Fri May 14, 2010 10:38 am

ggocat wrote:
Dollaz wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

I think that was an attempt at lord of the rings humor?

Ahhh. That was't funny

Sias

Postby Sias » Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am

d34dluk3 wrote:

You have to have a lot of patience for that. Their councils can go on for years. Also they don't like fire, so I hope you're not a smoker.

oh no you dint

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri May 14, 2010 11:59 am

You've identified important factors, but it's difficult to say which one is most important. Generally, cost (obviously including scholarship money) and employment prospects are directly related; as cost increases, so do employment prospects (again, generally). So it's important to find the right balance. This is a good article that may help you balance those two variables: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1.

Basically, the article relies on the steep drop-off in NLJ 250 placement outside the top 17/18 or so schools to suggest that many applicants deciding between lower ranked schools should weigh cost and location heavier than employment prospects. For example, the difference between 60% placement in NLJ 250 firms compared to 30% (Scenario 1) is significant, but the difference between 10% and 5% (Scenario 2) is not. Although the relationship between the two percentages in each scenario is the same (double / 100% increase), the raw numbers are very different. An applicant in each scenario might be considering $120K or more in debt when deciding between the better or worse employment prospects. While a raw difference of 30% in biglaw placement might be worth $120K, a raw difference in 5% is probably not.

The importance of location also varies incredibly among different applicants. Some may have significant personal reasons for wanting to stay in a particular location; others won't. Location is also less important if job prospects are better because (presumably) the name of your law school will help you further away. I think location is also less important than cost so long as you have some compelling reason for wanting to change locations after law school. Compelling reasons may include family ties or previously living in the state/location. So, going to a lower ranked school outside your desired location will not condemn you to working in that location. But just be sure you have a reason for going to that school--a significant reduction in cost.

Edit: I voted "cost" because I think for most applicants (those not admitted to a top 14/18 or so law school), cost is more important than the difference in employment prospects.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

HA! That was pretty funny.

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Fri May 14, 2010 3:48 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

My next post poll: do ppl who make obscure references to "geek" cult movies have the nessesary ppl skills to become successful attorneys?

Sias

Postby Sias » Fri May 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Dollaz wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

My next post poll: do ppl who make obscure references to "geek" cult movies have the nessesary ppl skills to become successful attorneys?

Nothing obscure about ents, brah. I'd rethink the title to your poll

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 pm

LOTR humor. Awesome.

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Fri May 14, 2010 4:03 pm

HA! That was pretty funny.[/quote]
My next post poll: do ppl who make obscure references to "geek" cult movies have the nessesary ppl skills to become successful attorneys?[/quote]

Nothing obscure about ents, brah. I'd rethink the title to your poll[/quote]
I love LOTR, but like most of america I saw it once when it came out. If u say ents to me, I think Entenmann's.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Fri May 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Dollaz wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Since when is great literature considered "geek" or "cult"?

Your next poll: Should "ppl" who call themselves "dollaz" judge others? :P

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri May 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Location first. Unless you are going to a T14 school then you should be prepared to live for several years in the area where you will be going to school after graduation. I guess you could argue that this also is linked to employment prospects, but really, all three are linked together.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri May 14, 2010 7:24 pm

I used to obsess over school location and ranking....but as i enter a new cycle....employment opportunities in a law field that I love is the most important factor with cost being second and career location being third. School location and ranking are now fourth and fifth in terms of priority.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”