Prepare to go to a school if I'm holding out on waitlists?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
askhos

Prepare to go to a school if I'm holding out on waitlists?

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 pm

I put a deposit down at one school, but I am hesitant to make final commitments to it because I want to see how my reserve and waitlist prospects turn out in the summer (I'll probably give up around mid-July at the earliest). However, the school I put the deposit down at is sending me all of this information about finding an apartment, parking permits, etc., and it's making me feel like I need to start preparing to go there instead of holding out. However, money is tight, and I don't want to commit to the school by signing a lease if on the off-chance I do get accepted elsewhere during the summer--apart from the hassle of trying to find someone to replace me, etc., I'm trying to save up for the school I end up going to, instead of spending all of this money on a school I'm not sure I'll end up at.

Help!

IzziesGal

Re: Prepare to go to a school if I'm holding out on waitlists?

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I think your best bet is to pretend that the waitlists will not work out and fully prep yourself to start classes in the fall. Keep the waitlists in the back of your mind, though. I would suggest signing a month to month lease, if possible, instead of a year long one, so that you can leave quickly if need be and only risk losing a month's rent and your deposit. I have a few friends who got off waitlists at the very last minute (I am talking a week INTO classes) and lost all of the money because they viewed the choices/opportunities as worth the loss. You really have to do a cost-benefit analysis for yourself. If you have a spouse or sick relative in the city where you got off the waitlist, it might be a compelling reason to lose the cash you put down. If the school is in the city where you know you want to start your career, this might also be a compelling reason. But I wouldn't spend time focusing on this right now. As of now, these options are just possibilities - what is concrete is the school that accepted you. Get your housing, your fin aid, your loans, etc - and then deal with the possibility of leaving that school IF the opportunity arises. Keep us posted!

Sorry this is so scatter brained - I am procrastinating on taking a con-law final, and after the amount of stuff I have jammed in my brain, I am surprised I can even form a quasi-coherent sentence.

Edit: Don't risk not going ANYWHERE b/c you didn't fully commit to the first school.

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm paying the deposits when they are due. I'm just wondering more about setting up an apartment, getting parking permits, visiting the area, etc. But thanks for the advice.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed May 12, 2010 1:35 pm

askhos wrote:I'm paying the deposits when they are due. I'm just wondering more about setting up an apartment, getting parking permits, visiting the area, etc. But thanks for the advice.

hold out as long as possible but be prepared to lose money on permits, apt deposits, etc. but like the other poster stated, act like you don't even have those waitlists and prepare to attend.

i'm on the opposite spectrum from you though since i haven't been accepted to any law schools and am waiting on all waitlists. i don't have to waste money on deposits, but then again i might not go to law school at all this year since waitlists are never a sure thing.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Go to LSN. Check the previous years to see what dates people get taken off the waitlist. Then check to see if people with numbers comparable to yours are likely to get off. Plan your schedule based on how long you'll need to sign a lease and move. Compare the schedule to the historical WL->IN dates to see what to do.

Or you could just say your numbers and schools and we'll estimate your chances of getting in.

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm

NayBoer wrote:Or you could just say your numbers and schools and we'll estimate your chances of getting in.

UGPA: 3.63, LSAT: 167

School I put deposit down at: USC

Schools on reserve: Columbia, Cornell

Schools waitlisted: Boalt, Michigan

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 12, 2010 2:03 pm

This definitely helps clarify things - I see your dilemma. I am terrible at predicting, so I'll leave that to the TLS masses. :D

BUT - USC is a great school, and you should be proud of getting that acceptance and equally proud to be waitlisted/reserved at so many other top schools.

Have you sent in letters of continued interest, updated resumes, additional LORs? Have you been visiting the school that is your top choice like crazy and selling yourself? I swear that's what got me off the Gtown WL, and I got that advice from lawyers who successfully did that before me.

If you haven't done so already, I'd pick (ideally) one of those schools, but you could pick two, and start visiting as often as you can. I know you said funds are tight, so it might not be an option, but I'd do it if you can.

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm

IzziesGal wrote:This definitely helps clarify things - I see your dilemma. I am terrible at predicting, so I'll leave that to the TLS masses. :D

BUT - USC is a great school, and you should be proud of getting that acceptance and equally proud to be waitlisted/reserved at so many other top schools.

Have you sent in letters of continued interest, updated resumes, additional LORs? Have you been visiting the school that is your top choice like crazy and selling yourself? I swear that's what got me off the Gtown WL, and I got that advice from lawyers who successfully did that before me.

If you haven't done so already, I'd pick (ideally) one of those schools, but you could pick two, and start visiting as often as you can. I know you said funds are tight, so it might not be an option, but I'd do it if you can.

Don't get me wrong--I think USC would be a great place to study. I just had my heart set on Cornell from the beginning, and sort of got caught up in the T14 hype.

The problem is that I can only really visit Boalt, since I live about two hours away from Berkeley, but unfortunately they're pretty clear that nothing you can do can bump yourself up on the waitlist. And trip to New York or Michigan would only make costs higher. I have been sending the schools LOCIs and updated information as it has come along, though. Unfortunately it's all I can do right now (fuck you recession!).

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 2:15 pm

As a joke, I thought it would be fun to send Columbia a letter about how I have an ex-girlfriend who goes there who I absolutely abhor, but would be willing to put that aside because I would love to go there so bad.

Professionalism FAIL.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 12, 2010 2:26 pm

LOL to the professionalism fail.

Ugh - that sucks that you're so far away from the other schools. I'd just keep (tactfully) hitting them with reminders of how great you are.

It also wouldn't hurt to pick the one school you truly think is your first choice, and mention in a letter that if you are accepted off the waitlist, you guarantee that you will enroll in the school and attend. Schools are generally skeptical that waitlisted people won't attend, so this might give you a boost. But only do it for one school, since there might be ethical ramifications for not honoring that commitment. :D

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed May 12, 2010 2:35 pm

askhos wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Or you could just say your numbers and schools and we'll estimate your chances of getting in.

UGPA: 3.63, LSAT: 167

School I put deposit down at: USC

Schools on reserve: Columbia, Cornell

Schools waitlisted: Boalt, Michigan
Looking on LSN, nobody in your range (I searched 3.5-3.8 and 166-168) has come off Cornell WL since 05-06. Same for CLS and Boalt. UMich: nobody in your range since 06-07.

None of these schools is likely to accept you off the WL. I'd either retake the LSAT and re-cycle or accept that USC is still a great option for LA.

Edit - here's what I used to do it, if you want to browse for yourself. Just click on the different years or change the school and it should preserve the LSAT/GPA range and only show WL-accepts.
http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... =6&type=jd

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I'd just keep (tactfully) hitting them with reminders of how great you are.

Dear Columbia Admissions Committee,

I'm fucking awesome. Just ask IzziesGal.

Sincerely,
askhos

P.S. Hope you lawl'd at my last email about my ex.

IzziesGal wrote:It also wouldn't hurt to pick the one school you truly think is your first choice, and mention in a letter that if you are accepted off the waitlist, you guarantee that you will enroll in the school and attend. Schools are generally skeptical that waitlisted people won't attend, so this might give you a boost. But only do it for one school, since there might be ethical ramifications for not honoring that commitment. :D

Sort of did that with Cornell already. I didn't flat out say I would go there if they let me in (but I probably would anyway), but I did tell them why they were my first choice.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Ha! I am going to be writing very similar sentiments in my cover letters for my 2L job. I feel your pain.

I'd definitely do the "I will commit to going to your school" bit if you mean it, which it sounds like you do with Cornell. Wait a few weeks, though, so you don't look like a stalker. :wink:

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Wed May 12, 2010 2:48 pm

It does seem quite early to start thinking about those things. You can play the procrastination card. It depends on your academic calendar, but you could definitely put off looking for/putting a deposit down on an apartment until you really had to. You might lose your money on some other things though, like the parking permit, etc. Like someone else mentioned, a month-to-month lease might be your best bet.

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 2:52 pm

lallygag wrote:It does seem quite early to start thinking about those things. You can play the procrastination card. It depends on your academic calendar, but you could definitely put off looking for/putting a deposit down on an apartment until you really had to. You might lose your money on some other things though, like the parking permit, etc. Like someone else mentioned, a month-to-month lease might be your best bet.

I'm only working. I graduated last year.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Haha I knew it was USC when I saw your comment about parking. I'm in a similar situation. Deposit at USC. Waitlist at Columbia and NYU. I have been operating under the assumption that I will definitely be attending USC in the fall. The odds of getting off of those waitlists with numbers similar to ours is slim to none.

On the other hand I just withdrew from Cornell to keep my USC scholarship going, so maybe that spot will go to you!!! GL, and maybe i'll see you in L.A. in a couple months.

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Cali167 wrote:Haha I knew it was USC when I saw your comment about parking. I'm in a similar situation. Deposit at USC. Waitlist at Columbia and NYU. I have been operating under the assumption that I will definitely be attending USC in the fall. The odds of getting off of those waitlists with numbers similar to ours is slim to none.

On the other hand I just withdrew from Cornell to keep my USC scholarship going, so maybe that spot will go to you!!! GL, and maybe i'll see you in L.A. in a couple months.

LOL, I have to admit USC is uber aggressive about making sure we're informed about everything, which I appreciate. I know that Cornell reserves a ton of people, but from what I'm reading here on TLS (which isn't a random sample, I know), lots of candidates are withdrawing because they've taken so long to get back to people.

If I do end up in LA, though, want to help with apartment hunting? I'm (relatively) stable.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm

askhos wrote:
Cali167 wrote:Haha I knew it was USC when I saw your comment about parking. I'm in a similar situation. Deposit at USC. Waitlist at Columbia and NYU. I have been operating under the assumption that I will definitely be attending USC in the fall. The odds of getting off of those waitlists with numbers similar to ours is slim to none.

LOL, I have to admit USC is uber aggressive about making sure we're informed about everything, which I appreciate. I know that Cornell reserves a ton of people, but from what I'm reading here on TLS (which isn't a random sample, I know), lots of candidates are withdrawing because they've taken so long to get back to people.

If I do end up in LA, though, want to help with apartment hunting? I'm (relatively) stable.

Haha, absolutely. As for the USC admissions office, I think they are amazing. Cornell wasn't bad either (I actually got in relatively early) and they sent a really cool "IVY league" acceptance packet, but they just couldn't compete with USC's constant recruitment and good attitude (plus, I am hell-bent on practicing in the Bay Area).

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Cali167 wrote:
askhos wrote:

Haha, absolutely. As for the USC admissions office, I think they are amazing. Cornell wasn't bad either (I actually got in relatively early) and they sent a really cool "IVY league" acceptance packet, but they just couldn't compete with USC's constant recruitment and good attitude (plus, I am hell-bent on practicing in the Bay Area).

I thought USC's admissions office were pretty much dicks when I got my WL letter. It said "You have until the 23rd (or something don't remember exact) for us to receive your letter confirming you wish to stay on the waitlist. This is NOT a postmark date, we must receive your letter by this date." I got the letter on a Friday and they wanted a response by Monday. Yeah, don't think that was going to happen. They also made sure to say there would be absolutely no scholarship funds available.

I felt loved.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 pm

holybartender wrote:
Cali167 wrote:
askhos wrote:

I thought USC's admissions office were pretty much dicks when I got my WL letter. It said "You have until the 23rd (or something don't remember exact) for us to receive your letter confirming you wish to stay on the waitlist. This is NOT a postmark date, we must receive your letter by this date." I got the letter on a Friday and they wanted a response by Monday. Yeah, don't think that was going to happen. They also made sure to say there would be absolutely no scholarship funds available.

I felt loved.

I had a feeling this was the case. Law school admissions is completely relative. Kids at or above a schools 75th percentile get sweet talked on a daily basis. Those that don't are made to feel privileged for even having the chance.

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 pm

holybartender wrote:I thought USC's admissions office were pretty much dicks when I got my WL letter. It said "You have until the 23rd (or something don't remember exact) for us to receive your letter confirming you wish to stay on the waitlist. This is NOT a postmark date, we must receive your letter by this date." I got the letter on a Friday and they wanted a response by Monday. Yeah, don't think that was going to happen. They also made sure to say there would be absolutely no scholarship funds available.

I felt loved.

Dude(tte), that fucking sucks.

Is there anything I have to do to stay on the Cornell reserve like notify them that I want to be on it in some way? Columbia made me log onto a website and holybartender's post reminded me to ask. I know my dad has my Cornell reserve letter but I haven't been able to go home yet.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:37 pm

I can't imagine that going to Cornell over USC is a good life decision. Good luck with Columbia though!

askhos

Postby askhos » Wed May 12, 2010 4:45 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:I can't imagine that going to Cornell over USC is a good life decision.

LOL wai?

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Wed May 12, 2010 5:01 pm

askhos wrote:
lallygag wrote:It does seem quite early to start thinking about those things. You can play the procrastination card. It depends on your academic calendar, but you could definitely put off looking for/putting a deposit down on an apartment until you really had to. You might lose your money on some other things though, like the parking permit, etc. Like someone else mentioned, a month-to-month lease might be your best bet.

I'm only working. I graduated last year.

whoops. I meant the academic calendar of where you would be potentially going. If your orientation is in late August you could potentially wait until July to get serious about finding an apt.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed May 12, 2010 5:02 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:I can't imagine that going to Cornell over USC is a good life decision. Good luck with Columbia though!

Owch.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”