What I want every single one of you to know.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Duralex

Re: What I want every single one of you to know.

Postby Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

It's true. Be more entertaining, please.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 am

Duralex wrote:--like working at a fortune cookie factory.

I don't think you have any idea how fortune cookies are made.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 11:39 am

--ImageRemoved--

Someone's obviously never heard the "help I'm trapped in a Chinese cookie factory" joke.

No offense to actual sweatshop workers, real or imagined, was intended. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 07, 2010 11:39 am

r6_philly wrote:

I have no idea what they are even made of.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 am

Fiberglass and rat tails.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 am

+1 for being funny/thoughtful if just for a moment.

When I speak of success/failure, I speak in terms of finality.

Admission to law school does not guarantee success in life, and has no bearing on whether one will be successful or not anymore than being rejected guarantees failure in life, or has bearing on whether one will be a failure in life.

That's what I meant, my meme generating companion.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 am

MC Southstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I have no idea what they are even made of.

I don't think you want to know. But you can visit a long standing one right in Chinatown.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 am

Duralex wrote:Fiberglass and rat tails.

You obviously don't know what fiberglass is like, or how to work with it.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 pm

That was a motivational post, much appreciated, SanBun.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Admission to law school does not guarantee success in life, and has no bearing on whether one will be successful or not anymore than being rejected guarantees failure in life, or has bearing on whether one will be a failure in life.

Guarantee, no. Bearing, yes.

I didn't get in everywhere I applied-- I was rejected at the T20 school that two generations of my family (and both my parents) have attended. That was a failure, and it doesn't make me happy, but I'm better off accepting it as a failure then trying to abjure or dismiss it with a bunch of crystal waving happy talk.

I've failed before, and I will fail again. Each time I make sure I figure out why, and do my best not to repeat the mistakes. I'm gratified to have been admitted to the school I thought was my best realistic option--due to the volume of applications I was expecting to have to try again in the Fall--but I knew that had I made better choices or performed better in the past I would have been in a better position now. And had I been admitted to that T20 school, I'd have (statistically) better prospects to look forward to coming out. And slightly less debt. So it goes.

Yes, the system is unfair. Sure, there are other ways to be successful in life. Happier. All of that. But if you set a goal and fail to achieve it, you do yourself a service by making sure you figure out why and learn something from the experience beyond "it didn't work out," or "it wasn't for you."

I speak from experience, it took me a little while to figure that out and it's worth learning as soon as possible.

--ImageRemoved--

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 pm

mine's better

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 12:44 pm

:D
SanBun: Thank you for this contribution to the TLS forums.
I'll remember this when I apply to LS next year.

scuzle

Postby scuzle » Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Everyone trying to one up other people is kind of sad, thought I did like the post that came 2 posts ago (wow that sounded bad). Just accept some people cannot achieve everything they want and don't put people down for not doing so. Someone tried to make a very nice comment to others who were in their position. So whats the point of coming back and saying "well f* you everything went great for me." If so, then do not post on this. Go enjoy your life and let others counsel with one another about the position their in.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Duralex wrote:

Guarantee, no. Bearing, yes.

If your only goal in life, or your only way to be successful, is to become a lawyer, then yes, it would have bearing.

Otherwise, your life is yours to make whatever success or failure of it you can.

Getting into law school doesn't increase the likelihood of your success in life, and not getting into law school doesn't decrease it.

Unless you fall into that specific, rare category of people in my first sentence.

And if you do fall into that category, then man... I feel bad for those people. :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Why is anyone equating being rejected as a "failure". Success and failure are not judged by someone else's arbitrary decisions. It is a "setback", not a "failure". Step back and gain a bit of perspectives in the grand scheme of things... not being able to attend school x will only have a certain amount of impact on your life, not on your success. You could not possibly have "failed" before you even started (doing whatever it is you aspire to do in your career).

Take it easy, if temporary setbacks are considered failures I must have failed at life 100 times over plus some compare to 99.9% of you. However I consider my life a wonderful, happy, extreme success. Yes, it is that much sweeter to achieve what you want to do after a large number of setbacks.

"Failure" like this is underrated, you would not how sweet it is to win if you never lose.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Fri May 07, 2010 4:00 pm

@Duralex... I hope I don't ever ever ever meet you in Loyola. You'd probably say likewise but *shrugs*. I respect your opinion and all that but you didn't have to be so douchey about it. Damn.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Probably came off more harshly than I intended, but whatever. That's the Internet. What I'm saying is important. Otherwise people have put themselves through the wringer for nothing. I don't have a huge problem with the OP (despite poking fun at it for being saccharine) but what DonnyBoy is saying just isn't great advice in my view. Like I said, I haven't had the easiest academic path and if I had taken my 'setbacks' (if you prefer) more seriously earlier on I'd have been better off for it. Consoling oneself with the bigger picture is all well and good, but it shouldn't obscure the reality of the situation and how it came about. People in this situation are already feeling the pain, so they might as well have the gain of learning from it, instead of just dismissing the whole thing with a kumbaya sing-along.

Maybe this just comes down to seeing the world differently. For the record, I felt the same way about it last week, when I was sure I wouldn't be admitted anywhere this cycle and was reflecting upon my past; and I take no pleasure in others' troubles.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri May 07, 2010 4:28 pm

OP sounds like a ***

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Come on people....

The topic was made as a morale booster for people having difficulty with rejection and perceived failure in what is a very competitive, high stakes process. I think he made the message a topic because the forum, by and large, is cynical. Enough with the showy displays of wit and sarcasm...we already know you all are clever and smart.

Let him give us a proverbial hug...

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Fri May 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Integrity wrote:Let him give us a proverbial hug...

I think he is a she.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:48 pm

MTal wrote:OP sounds like a ***

+1

The Invisible Man

Postby The Invisible Man » Fri May 07, 2010 10:53 pm

MTal, you are NOBODY to joke about anyone. If anything, OP's a step above you. You wish you were able to do what OP is doing when you were in OP's shoes.

The fact that you're a law school drop out from (how many years ago?) and are still trolling TLS is just a horrible way of existence.

And I guess OP is even another step beyond you because I bet OP will never wilt into a self-loathing, bitter, ignorant, racist TLS troll like you have mutated into.

Have a goodnight, bitch.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:

MTal, you are NOBODY to joke about anyone. If anything, OP's a step above you. You wish you were able to do what OP is doing when you were in OP's shoes.

The fact that you're a law school drop out from (how many years ago?) and are still trolling TLS is just a horrible way of existence.

And I guess OP is even another step beyond you because I bet OP will never wilt into a self-loathing, bitter, ignorant, racist TLS troll like you have mutated into.

Have a goodnight, bitch.

I'm sorry, but how does spewing meaningless and self-congratulatory middle school graduation platitudes like "we are powerful, significant, and worthy of everything that the world has to offer" not make you a triple star idiot?

Ugh. It's just so gross!

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Fri May 07, 2010 11:06 pm

ccs224 wrote:
I'm sorry, but how does spewing meaningless and self-congratulatory middle school graduation platitudes like "we are powerful, significant, and worthy of everything that the world has to offer" not make you a triple star idiot?

Ugh. It's just so gross!

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”