Private Lenders?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clint4law

Private Lenders?

Postby clint4law » Fri May 07, 2010 12:06 am

Has anyone used any private lenders to finance his/her legal education? If so, which lender did you use? I hear Wells Fargo is one of the biggest players in this market. I know rates are variable and based on credit but would like some type of ballpark figure before pursuing it.

Birdman

Re: Private Lenders?

Postby Birdman » Fri May 07, 2010 12:21 am

You can borrow grad plus federal loans up to the cost of attendance (tuition + cost of living - scholarships/financial aid). There is no reason to take out private loans for law school.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 am

Birdman wrote:You can borrow grad plus federal loans up to the cost of attendance (tuition + cost of living - scholarships/financial aid). There is no reason to take out private loans for law school.

those have a 7.9% interest rate...I have excellent credit and based on current interest rates believe I would be eligible for a much lower rate.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 am

True you could get a lower rate. But interest rates are variable, if your credit score takes a hit for whatever reason your rates will go up. The grad plus loans have a capped interest rate, private loans don't. Private loans cannot be gotten rid of under any circumstances (except of course paying them off). Federal loans have IBR, etc. It's a gamble that I don't think anyone on here would recommend.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 am

Birdman wrote:True you could get a lower rate. But interest rates are variable, if your credit score takes a hit for whatever reason your rates will go up. The grad plus loans have a capped interest rate, private loans don't. Private loans cannot be gotten rid of under any circumstances (except of course paying them off). Federal loans have IBR, etc. It's a gamble that I don't think anyone on here would recommend.

what's IBR?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 am

Keep in mind, federal programs like IBR don't apply to private loans. If you're worried about paying off future loans, federal loans offer more of a safety net.

http://www.finaid.org/loans/loantradeoffs.phtml

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri May 07, 2010 12:50 am

clint4law wrote:
Birdman wrote:True you could get a lower rate. But interest rates are variable, if your credit score takes a hit for whatever reason your rates will go up. The grad plus loans have a capped interest rate, private loans don't. Private loans cannot be gotten rid of under any circumstances (except of course paying them off). Federal loans have IBR, etc. It's a gamble that I don't think anyone on here would recommend.

what's IBR?

http://www.ibrinfo.org/

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 am

thanks guys

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 5:17 am

I also toyed with the idea of private loans as I have a flawless credit history and no undergrad student debt. But generally federal loans do seem alot safer for most people. Unless you have no interest at all following IBR guidelines and are dead set on private practice (in whatever form) then federal loans are likely your best bet. If you are going to a top program, lets say T14 or even T20 and you are dead set on private practice and really think you have a legit shot at 6 figure starting salary, then private loans may be more attractive to you with the lower interest rate.

In the end private loans carry more risk. Depends on your situation and goals though really.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri May 21, 2010 4:17 pm

this is such a difficult decision....I was just approved at Chase for a 3.75% interest rate. Any advice?
Last edited by clint4law on Fri May 21, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

also, for the sake of not getting my FICO run by multiple financial institutions, which private lender has the most aggressive rates and terms? Well Fargo? Citi? Chase?

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Birdman wrote:Private loans cannot be gotten rid of under any circumstances (except of course paying them off).

I just did some research on this (because I thought you could discharge personal student loans in bankruptcy) and you can not discharge personal student loans in bankruptcy -- they are as difficult to discharge as the federal student loans. You learn something new every day.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”