Unusual Predicament...Need Advice.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
senunit

Unusual Predicament...Need Advice.

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 4:41 pm

A friend of mine just got accepted into a dream school of his off of a wait list. As thus, he will be withdrawing from a school that I desperately want to attend. For some time now, he has suggested to me that if this happens, he would throw in a few good words specifically regarding me as an applicant to the school he'd be withdrawing from. I know this is very atypical, as most "recommendations" are sent from past/present employers or professors. He has very good numbers and is a very good student and we've studied together and know each other for years. I know he can write something beneficial, but as this is unusual I don't know if its worth following through on.

Any advice, or ideas?

A'nold

Re: Unusual Predicament...Need Advice.

Postby A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Lolwut?

Sias

Postby Sias » Thu May 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Why bother? The school won't care what a withdrawing student thinks of another student.

senunit

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Sias wrote:Why bother? The school won't care what a withdrawing student thinks of another student.

I dont know LOL. I've done everything I possibly can to get into the program off the wait list. Recommendations, LOCI's, etc. I know all hope is not lost, but I'm just anxious.

So you think that they'll just generally brush it off? Especially because he's a withdrawing student, or because a student's opinion carries absolutely no weight?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 4:50 pm

senunit wrote:
Sias wrote:Why bother? The school won't care what a withdrawing student thinks of another student.

I dont know LOL. I've done everything I possibly can to get into the program off the wait list. Recommendations, LOCI's, etc. I know all hope is not lost, but I'm just anxious.

So you think that they'll just generally brush it off? Especially because he's a withdrawing student, or because a student's opinion carries absolutely no weight?

Both and more. This might sound harsh but think about it this way. Dude is basically telling a school he is overly qualified for, "hey, thanks for the offer but I'm too good for you. Since I'm so freaking awesome and too good for you, here's a crappier student to fill my place that I can vouch for."

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Haha, one TLSer named dropped, to one of the Deans, another TLSer waiting on the waitlist at Northwestern's ASW. I thought it was cute.

senunit

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 pm

A'nold wrote:
senunit wrote:

Both and more. This might sound harsh but think about it this way. Dude is basically telling a school he is overly qualified for, "hey, thanks for the offer but I'm too good for you. Since I'm so freaking awesome and too good for you, here's a crappier student to fill my place that I can vouch for."

That was my main concern. It doesn't sound harsh, I can easily see it being taken that way. On the other hand, I hope this school doesn't see myself as a crappy student in any case LOL, because my numbers are virtually at both medians.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Was skeptical about the benefit of this process myself.

Sias

Postby Sias » Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm

senunit wrote:

Just because a school admits someone, doesn't mean they think particularly highly of that person. Also, it doesn't sound as though this person was heavily recruited and offered full tuition, so it's not like the school even wanted him that badly in the first place.

senunit

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Sias wrote:
senunit wrote:

Just because a school admits someone, doesn't mean they think particularly highly of that person. Also, it doesn't sound as though this person was heavily recruited and offered full tuition, so it's not like the school even wanted him that badly in the first place.

I agree with the first point, but the second one is not true. This guy has great numbers, but did not apply to any safety schools whatsoever. Voluntarily asked for a challenge if you will.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu May 06, 2010 5:02 pm

At first I thought this was a stupid idea but after thinking a bit about it, I say go for it. I think it has an OK chance of raising your profile. , but I don't think it would look bad on you. It will probably look bad on your friend, but he shouldn't really care what this school thinks of him now. You're on the WL now so your chances are probably not that high. Anything that could raise your profile is helpful.
This is a risk though, and it does have the potential to make the school write you off completely. It's your call whether or not that risk is worth it.

senunit

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 5:03 pm

adameus wrote:it does have the potential to make the school write you off completely.

This part to me is far too scary to make it worth the risk LOL.

senunit

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Is that Iginla in your pic?

Sias

Postby Sias » Thu May 06, 2010 5:09 pm

senunit wrote:
Sias wrote:
senunit wrote:

I agree with the first point, but the second one is not true. This guy has great numbers, but did not apply to any safety schools whatsoever. Voluntarily asked for a challenge if you will.

So he was offered full tuition? Otherwise you should say you disagree with my second point, not that it isn't true.

Regardless, I was merely demonstrating that, although accepted, I see nothing in your post to suggest that this school went to any great lengths to secure even your friend.

senunit

Postby senunit » Thu May 06, 2010 5:11 pm

I was concerned with keeping the post as anonymous as possible. That being said, I appreciate your assistance. Thanks.

Mocker21

Postby Mocker21 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't even be considering this. Law Schools already often ignore LOR's from reputable professors and attorneys. I don't think a single adcomm in the country would care what an admitted-and-withdrawing student thinks. If it was a top 10% graduating 3L who was on law review making the recommendation for you.... probably a different story. But admitted-and-withdrawing? No way.

But! As negative as that may have sounded, I do want to remind the OP not to lose hope. It's very early in the waitlist game -- obviously we don't know what school you're talking about here, but a lot of places haven't even turned to their waitlists yet, and most of them have a couple different times over the summer where they reassess the entering class and make a few more offers. It's absolutely not time to worry yet!

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri May 07, 2010 5:09 pm

senunit wrote:Is that Iginla in your pic?

yeah, that's iginla.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Sat May 08, 2010 1:56 am

I am going to say bad idea.

But should he do it, definitely have friend add a line to the effect of "while my friend would be horrified to know I am personally encouraging you to look at his application..." that distances you from the act. Adds a genuine element that will help you, while distancing you from any fall out.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 08, 2010 2:04 am

barrydukakis wrote:I am going to say bad idea.

But should he do it, definitely have friend add a line to the effect of "while my friend would be horrified to know I am personally encouraging you to look at his application..." that distances you from the act. Adds a genuine element that will help you, while distancing you from any fall out.

Unless they're like "oh, you think you're gonna just reject us like that motha effa? Take that dude's friend!" *maniacal laughter*

senunit

Postby senunit » Sat May 08, 2010 2:16 am

Mocker21 wrote:If I were you, I wouldn't even be considering this. Law Schools already often ignore LOR's from reputable professors and attorneys. I don't think a single adcomm in the country would care what an admitted-and-withdrawing student thinks. If it was a top 10% graduating 3L who was on law review making the recommendation for you.... probably a different story. But admitted-and-withdrawing? No way.

But! As negative as that may have sounded, I do want to remind the OP not to lose hope. It's very early in the waitlist game -- obviously we don't know what school you're talking about here, but a lot of places haven't even turned to their waitlists yet, and most of them have a couple different times over the summer where they reassess the entering class and make a few more offers. It's absolutely not time to worry yet!

Yeah, I already dropped the offer. I didn't even slightly ask for it, it was just an offer in good faith. At first, you feel desperate so then you consider. Thankfully all of you guys reinstated the many concerns I had with this. I too, dont think it could have looked good.

Also, thanks for the reassurance, I am really banking on some luck to finally go my way this year. Its so frustrating when in the aforementioned school my numbers are legit (one slightly above 75%, one slightly below 50%). I know those aren't guarantees, but I didn't think it was all too bad. Just a rough cycle for many of us. Definitely still hoping for the best.
Last edited by senunit on Sat May 08, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

senunit

Postby senunit » Sat May 08, 2010 2:16 am

adameus wrote:
senunit wrote:Is that Iginla in your pic?

yeah, that's iginla.

Couldn't tell by the blurry pic, but it's always awesome to see some hockey love on any of these forums. (Devs Fan)

Learning Hand

Postby Learning Hand » Sat May 08, 2010 2:17 am

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”