Texas Tech v South Texas

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby JordynAsh » Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 pm

merichard87 wrote:Glad to see my quote was useful so I would like to add another tid-bit: I'm a born and bred Texan and I would never move to Lubbock. Honestly that city scares me. Too much small town mentality for me. If you want big city it is not the place for you but if you enjoy a rural leaning mid size city we have a WINNER! That is all.


+1,000,000

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Lucidity » Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 pm

jgrin wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Dude, everyone in Texas knows that Lubbock SUCKS. Stop trying to make it sound like its not bad. If TT wasn't in Lubbock, then a significantly greater amount of people would go there. I applied there just because I got a fee waiver and sent my app in late. It was never a real option, but i chose to apply because it was free. You are just pissed because you had to spend 4 horrid years there. Get over it


haha jeez buddy. no need to get upset. and I'm not pissed in any way, shape, or form. I loved my time here in Lubbock, and there is no need for you to get all butt hurt when people call you out on why you are advocating for a certain school over another. I'll say it again. QOL is subjective. You can scream all you want about how much you hate lubbock, but you can not speak for everyone that applies to Tech or the 30,000 students that come here year after year. End of story.

jgrin wrote:+1. This guy is a joke if he can actually use Lubbock and a positive word in the same sentence. I am sick of this dude.


I think it's a joke you think this is some sort of propaganda program trying to convince prospective students to move to Lubbock. I'm not some adcom or employee of Tech. I'm just a student, and I couldn't care less if other people like Lubbock. I just want people to know that the majority of students that come here actually like the city. I'm not saying they never want to leave, just that it is not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to be. I didn't come here for the city of Lubbock, I came for the school. And the city eventually grew on me. And I'm sorry you got so offended when I brought up that you didn't get into Tech, but you need to calm down.


I am gonna say this, and I mean it to be quite offensive. Most people that go to Tech go there because it is there backup and because they didn't get into Texas or ATM. So most people go there not because of preference, but because of lack of options. This is probably the case for you.


I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are we not talking about law schools, in particular the comparison of 2 law schools? No one is ignorant enough to bring UT or A&M into this discussion other than you since UT obviously dominates the state and A&M well, doesn't have a law school. Your posts have degenerated into a hateful personal vendetta against tech lacking of any real substantive information. Whats wrong, did Tech piss in your Cheerios? Stop being such a tool.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Tue May 11, 2010 10:55 pm

merichard87 wrote:Glad to see my quote was useful so I would like to add another tid-bit: I'm a born and bred Texan and I would never move to Lubbock. Honestly that city scares me. Too much small town mentality for me. If you want big city it is not the place for you but if you enjoy a rural leaning mid size city we have a WINNER! That is all.


I grew up in Houston and have lived in Austin for the last 20 years (since college). I've been all over the state (and the country). I'm not sure how you define "small town mentality", but if Houston has "big city mentality", this is not something I'm a fan of. From what I've seen, there are parts of Houston that are far scarier than anything in Lubbock. Austin is my favorite place in Texas (by far), but as it becomes more of a big city, it's slowly losing some of the charm (relaxed, friendly, local feel with the amenities of a larger city) it used to have. Lubbock has some of that charm I remember in Austin in the late 80s & early 90s. Ultimately, every city is different, with its own unique qualities for each of us to measure when deciding where to live or where to go to law school. I urge anyone considering going to law school in Texas (or anywhere else) to personally visit the schools before making a decision on where to go - don't make a decision based on what you read on a forum, see in the rankings, or even based on what a friend tells you.

gunsandfrogs
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby gunsandfrogs » Wed May 12, 2010 1:04 am

Lucidity wrote:
jgrin wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Dude, everyone in Texas knows that Lubbock SUCKS. Stop trying to make it sound like its not bad. If TT wasn't in Lubbock, then a significantly greater amount of people would go there. I applied there just because I got a fee waiver and sent my app in late. It was never a real option, but i chose to apply because it was free. You are just pissed because you had to spend 4 horrid years there. Get over it


haha jeez buddy. no need to get upset. and I'm not pissed in any way, shape, or form. I loved my time here in Lubbock, and there is no need for you to get all butt hurt when people call you out on why you are advocating for a certain school over another. I'll say it again. QOL is subjective. You can scream all you want about how much you hate lubbock, but you can not speak for everyone that applies to Tech or the 30,000 students that come here year after year. End of story.

jgrin wrote:+1. This guy is a joke if he can actually use Lubbock and a positive word in the same sentence. I am sick of this dude.


I think it's a joke you think this is some sort of propaganda program trying to convince prospective students to move to Lubbock. I'm not some adcom or employee of Tech. I'm just a student, and I couldn't care less if other people like Lubbock. I just want people to know that the majority of students that come here actually like the city. I'm not saying they never want to leave, just that it is not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to be. I didn't come here for the city of Lubbock, I came for the school. And the city eventually grew on me. And I'm sorry you got so offended when I brought up that you didn't get into Tech, but you need to calm down.


I am gonna say this, and I mean it to be quite offensive. Most people that go to Tech go there because it is there backup and because they didn't get into Texas or ATM. So most people go there not because of preference, but because of lack of options. This is probably the case for you.


I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are we not talking about law schools, in particular the comparison of 2 law schools? No one is ignorant enough to bring UT or A&M into this discussion other than you since UT obviously dominates the state and A&M well, doesn't have a law school. Your posts have degenerated into a hateful personal vendetta against tech lacking of any real substantive information. Whats wrong, did Tech piss in your Cheerios? Stop being such a tool.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Lucidity wrote:
jgrin wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Dude, everyone in Texas knows that Lubbock SUCKS. Stop trying to make it sound like its not bad. If TT wasn't in Lubbock, then a significantly greater amount of people would go there. I applied there just because I got a fee waiver and sent my app in late. It was never a real option, but i chose to apply because it was free. You are just pissed because you had to spend 4 horrid years there. Get over it


haha jeez buddy. no need to get upset. and I'm not pissed in any way, shape, or form. I loved my time here in Lubbock, and there is no need for you to get all butt hurt when people call you out on why you are advocating for a certain school over another. I'll say it again. QOL is subjective. You can scream all you want about how much you hate lubbock, but you can not speak for everyone that applies to Tech or the 30,000 students that come here year after year. End of story.

jgrin wrote:+1. This guy is a joke if he can actually use Lubbock and a positive word in the same sentence. I am sick of this dude.


I think it's a joke you think this is some sort of propaganda program trying to convince prospective students to move to Lubbock. I'm not some adcom or employee of Tech. I'm just a student, and I couldn't care less if other people like Lubbock. I just want people to know that the majority of students that come here actually like the city. I'm not saying they never want to leave, just that it is not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to be. I didn't come here for the city of Lubbock, I came for the school. And the city eventually grew on me. And I'm sorry you got so offended when I brought up that you didn't get into Tech, but you need to calm down.


I am gonna say this, and I mean it to be quite offensive. Most people that go to Tech go there because it is there backup and because they didn't get into Texas or ATM. So most people go there not because of preference, but because of lack of options. This is probably the case for you.


I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are we not talking about law schools, in particular the comparison of 2 law schools? No one is ignorant enough to bring UT or A&M into this discussion other than you since UT obviously dominates the state and A&M well, doesn't have a law school. Your posts have degenerated into a hateful personal vendetta against tech lacking of any real substantive information. Whats wrong, did Tech piss in your Cheerios? Stop being such a tool.
[/quote]

You were clearly dumb enough to not understand that I was clearly talking about undergraduate institutions, which is why Texas ATM was brought up in the first place. Why in the hell would I ever mention ATM, unless I was talking about undergrad. You went to Texas Tech out of undergrad because of a lack of options, not because it was your choice. Lubbock is everyone in the state's backup, and you know it. You are just in denial of this fact. With regards to law school, you will be screwed there when searching for a summer internship. Even if you do get one in one of the larger markets, your costs will be very high because you would have to move and rent. ST students will have the luxury of already being in the largest legal market in the state. You will have a certain lack of options when it comes to clinics as well. South Texas dominates, along with UH the Houston legal market, while Texas Tech gets the leftovers of the other 3 remaining legal markets. They aren't even significant in the markets that you claim they have a significant influence. THEY GET THE LEFTOVERS OF THE STATE. You are in loser denial. I don't know if it happened to you before you went to Lubbock. If it didn't, then it certainly happened to you once you got there. Have fun fornicating with barn animals for three more years!

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm

jgrin wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Dude, everyone in Texas knows that Lubbock SUCKS. Stop trying to make it sound like its not bad. If TT wasn't in Lubbock, then a significantly greater amount of people would go there. I applied there just because I got a fee waiver and sent my app in late. It was never a real option, but i chose to apply because it was free. You are just pissed because you had to spend 4 horrid years there. Get over it


haha jeez buddy. no need to get upset. and I'm not pissed in any way, shape, or form. I loved my time here in Lubbock, and there is no need for you to get all butt hurt when people call you out on why you are advocating for a certain school over another. I'll say it again. QOL is subjective. You can scream all you want about how much you hate lubbock, but you can not speak for everyone that applies to Tech or the 30,000 students that come here year after year. End of story.

jgrin wrote:+1. This guy is a joke if he can actually use Lubbock and a positive word in the same sentence. I am sick of this dude.


I think it's a joke you think this is some sort of propaganda program trying to convince prospective students to move to Lubbock. I'm not some adcom or employee of Tech. I'm just a student, and I couldn't care less if other people like Lubbock. I just want people to know that the majority of students that come here actually like the city. I'm not saying they never want to leave, just that it is not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to be. I didn't come here for the city of Lubbock, I came for the school. And the city eventually grew on me. And I'm sorry you got so offended when I brought up that you didn't get into Tech, but you need to calm down.


I am gonna say this, and I mean it to be quite offensive. Most people that go to Tech go there because it is [strike]there[/strike] their backup and because they didn't get into Texas or ATM. So most people go there not because of preference, but because of lack of options. This is probably the case for you.


First of all, I did get into A&M and UT, as well as TCU and UH. I also know several people that turned down ivy league educations to enroll in Tech's Honor College, which before this whole tier 1 fiasco was one of the best honors college programs in the nation.

Secondly, with this being in a law school forum, you of all people should know that UG has really no significant impact on law school admissions, as long as you have a high GPA and lsat.

Which brings me to my third point. According to your LSN account, I have a higher GPA, LSAT score, got into higher ranked schools, and got more scholarship money at the schools where we were both accepted. Now, what did the "prestige" of going to UT undergrad do for you? UT undergrad provides a great education, and I love Austin, but who in this forum really cares who wanted to go to which UG and why people went to Tech UG? The relevant point is that they (30,000 each year) went and most grew to like Lubbock.

Finally, I apologize for my part in this thread going so off topic. But to try and bring it a little back to the OP.

longhornmarine wrote:Anyone on waitlist at Tech holding a spot, or get accepted off of a waitlist?


My girlfriend was accepted off the waitlist at the beginning of April. I think a couple of things helped her. First, she wrote a LOCI describing how she would be a good fit for the school and what she had done since she last applied (community service, internship in Appeals Court for Chief Justice, participated in Tech BoB mock trials, etc). She also had the benefit of getting a lot of face time, as I was already accepted and she was able to be my guest to the Scholarship Day event and ASD. Now I know you may not have this same situation, but you can still get face time. Schedule a tour and sit in on a class, if you have not already done so. Call and schedule an interview (my girlfriend had one, but I am not sure if they only do one round or if they are still doing them). She also got an additional LOR (from the Chief Justice who was an alum). Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm

jgrin wrote: You were clearly dumb enough to not understand that I was clearly talking about undergraduate institutions, which is why Texas ATM was brought up in the first place. Why in the hell would I ever mention ATM, unless I was talking about undergrad. You went to Texas Tech out of undergrad because of a lack of options, not because it was your choice. Lubbock is everyone in the state's backup, and you know it. You are just in denial of this fact.

This was already addressed in my last post.

jgrin wrote: With regards to law school, you will be screwed there when searching for a summer internship. Even if you do get one in one of the larger markets, your costs will be very high because you would have to move and rent. ST students will have the luxury of already being in the largest legal market in the state.

I don't think you want to get into a money comparison between the schools. The amount of rent money paid over the summer is nothing compared to the difference in tuition, not even mentioning the COL you save just by living in Lubbock.

jgrin wrote: You will have a certain lack of options when it comes to clinics as well.

Actually, Tech has more clinics than STCL. That is a known fact. I'm also pretty sure STCL doesn't even have a criminal prosecution or criminal defense clinic, while Tech does.

jgrin wrote:South Texas dominates, along with UH the Houston legal market, while Texas Tech gets the leftovers of the other 3 remaining legal markets. They aren't even significant in the markets that you claim they have a significant influence.

In every market other than Houston, Tech has more than STCL. Which is why everyone except you has already accepted the premise that if an applicant wants to live in Houston, STCL is the best bet. But with Tech having better numbers (who cares if they dominate Dallas or Houston. Tech just has to have better numbers than South Texas for the purpose of this thread), then the applicant should go to Tech if they want to live any where other than Houston.

jgrin wrote: Have fun fornicating with barn animals for three more years!

good job
Last edited by b.gump81 on Wed May 12, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby wreckem » Wed May 12, 2010 3:09 pm

South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans from STCL would be a long road to hoe financially.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Grad_Student » Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm

wreckem wrote:South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans would be a long road to hoe financially.

STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4

You have failed at trolling my friend.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Going to Tech or STCL is like having the chance to bang Evangeline Lilly, but instead choosing to bang Whoopi Goldberg.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans would be a long road to hoe financially.

STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4

You have failed at trolling my friend.


Wreckem's stats were from a single year's hiring, and your stats represent total employment where STCL has had a 50 year head start on Tech to build up those numbers, connections, and alumni base. Also the STCL numbers you just presented are all in Houston , while Tech's are mostly in cities other than Houston. This bolsters the idea that has already been repeated: STCL is better for houston, and Tech is better for anywhere else. Your trolling does not change anything. Additionally, I think wreckem's stats are more representative of prospects currently coming out of each school because 6 out of 454 is 1.32% while 15 out of 226 is 6.64%. These are both horrible percentiles, which are even worse than normal because of the economy, and no school is really great for biglaw, but if you have some sort of sense that South Texas places well for biglaw, you are sadly mistaken.

User avatar
0 and 16
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby 0 and 16 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:07 pm

kalvano wrote:Going to Tech or STCL is like having the chance to bang Evangeline Lilly, but instead choosing to bang Whoopi Goldberg.


Das Not Compute.

wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby wreckem » Wed May 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans would be a long road to hoe financially.

STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4

You have failed at trolling my friend.


I'm not trolling. Those Numbers are from the class of 2009. As reported by Texas Lawyer. The Firms I listed did not disclose their 2009 hiring information to Texas Lawyer. My bet is your numbers are not from the class of 2009. Because in any given year during BOOM TIMES(2009 was definitely down across the board), STCL puts at best 15-18 students in Texas' Top Firms.
Last edited by wreckem on Wed May 12, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Grad_Student » Wed May 12, 2010 4:11 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans would be a long road to hoe financially.

STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4

You have failed at trolling my friend.


Wreckem's stats were from a single year's hiring, and your stats represent total employment where STCL has had a 50 year head start on Tech to build up those numbers, connections, and alumni base. Also the STCL numbers you just presented are all in Houston , while Tech's are mostly in cities other than Houston. This bolsters the idea that has already been repeated: STCL is better for houston, and Tech is better for anywhere else. Your trolling does not change anything. Additionally, I think wreckem's stats are more representative of prospects currently coming out of each school because 6 out of 454 is 1.32% while 15 out of 226 is 6.64%. These are both horrible percentiles, which are even worse than normal because of the economy, and no school is really great for biglaw, but if you have some sort of sense that South Texas places well for biglaw, you are sadly mistaken.

No, the numbers are posted are in their offices worldwide. Are most of the attorneys in Houston? yes but not all were. Does STCL place well in biglaw? Probably as well as Tech but I'm not going on stats only the folks whom I'm in school with. On the flip side, we are all top 5%, 10% and 20%, on LR or mock trial or are working so I'm sure that plays into who we are working for now and when we graduate.

PS: I'm not sure you understand how trolling works.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Grad_Student » Wed May 12, 2010 4:12 pm

wreckem wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans would be a long road to hoe financially.

STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4

You have failed at trolling my friend.


I'm not trolling. Those Numbers are from the class of 2009. As reported by Texas Lawyer. Your numbers are not from the class of 2009.

I'm not real interested into getting into a pissing match about which school is better. They are comparable in the state. Lets just agree to say that if you want to work east of I-35, go to STCL, you want to work west go to Tech.

wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby wreckem » Wed May 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:South Texas doesn't dominate Houston, that would mean they place alot into big law. They infact do NOT put alot of people in Big Law.

Out of 21 of the 26 largest law firms in Texas. STCL had 6 first year associates start in 2009. STCL Class of 2009 matriculated 454. Texas Tech had 15 and matriculated 226 for that class. Baylor also had 15. UT had 88. SMU had 41. UH 39. St Mary's 4. Weslyan 3. And Texas Southern had 0.

Brown McCarroll, Baker & McKenzie, Fulbright & Jaworski, Greenberg Traurig, and King & Spalding all declined to give information.

To put it bluntly, if you think you are getting Big Law from either Tech or South Texas I have a bridge to sell you as it going to take being at the top + law review + selling yourself extremely well and even then your chances are not that great.

Tech beats STCL in every catagory except job placement in Houston. But I wouldn't want to work small law in Houston. Living on a small law salary in Houston with massive loans would be a long road to hoe financially.

STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4

You have failed at trolling my friend.

I'm not trolling. Those Numbers are from the class of 2009. As reported by Texas Lawyer. The Firms I listed did not disclose their 2009 hiring information to Texas Lawyer. My bet is your numbers are not from the class of 2009. Because in any given year during BOOM TIMES(2009 was definitely down across the board), STCL puts at best 15-18 students in Texas' Top Firms.

I'm not real interested into getting into a pissing match about which school is better. They are comparable in the state. Lets just agree to say that if you want to work east of I-35, go to STCL, you want to work west go to Tech.


Because that's false. If you want to work in Houston, STCL>Tech. The rest of Texas? Tech>STCL. This goes for Big Law, Small Law, and Govt. Lets not forget Tech is alot cheaper than STCL.
Last edited by wreckem on Wed May 12, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Lucidity » Wed May 12, 2010 4:17 pm


You were clearly dumb enough to not understand that I was clearly talking about undergraduate institutions, which is why Texas ATM was brought up in the first place. Why in the hell would I ever mention ATM, unless I was talking about undergrad. You went to Texas Tech out of undergrad because of a lack of options, not because it was your choice. Lubbock is everyone in the state's backup, and you know it. You are just in denial of this fact. With regards to law school, you will be screwed there when searching for a summer internship. Even if you do get one in one of the larger markets, your costs will be very high because you would have to move and rent. ST students will have the luxury of already being in the largest legal market in the state. You will have a certain lack of options when it comes to clinics as well. South Texas dominates, along with UH the Houston legal market, while Texas Tech gets the leftovers of the other 3 remaining legal markets. They aren't even significant in the markets that you claim they have a significant influence. THEY GET THE LEFTOVERS OF THE STATE. You are in loser denial. I don't know if it happened to you before you went to Lubbock. If it didn't, then it certainly happened to you once you got there. Have fun fornicating with barn animals for three more years!


The amount of fail in this post alone is just simply delicious. You are so blinded by your strange seething hatred for tech that you grasp at any and all straws you can to defend your irrational position. Newsflash, i didn't go to tech for undergrad. But I AM calling you out for being a douche. You started out sane enough, arguing with actual facts and numbers. But then when the numbers clearly showed that STCL is a one trick pony with only the (albeit large) Houston market and that outside of the comfort blanket of Houston STCL fades precipitously, you get your panties in a twist and pull out the personal attacks. Who gives a shit about undergrad? We are talking about law schools. Perhaps you missed that when you clicked on the top law schools link. Talk about rc fail.

Seriously, I'm really curious. Did tech rape and murder your family or something? Why the hatred for tech? It can't JUST be simply that you are trying to justify your decision to go to STCL, can it? South Texas is a fine school - for Houston. Normal people would be happy with this and move on. Unless that is you ... i dunno ... got denied by tech and have an axe to grind or something. That can't be it, can it?

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Grad_Student » Wed May 12, 2010 4:50 pm

wreckem wrote:
Because that's false. If you want to work in Houston, STCL>Tech. The rest of Texas? Tech>STCL. This goes for Big Law, Small Law, and Govt. Lets not forget Tech is alot cheaper than STCL.

Whatever dude. If you want to think you got the last word in, go for it.

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Lucidity » Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
wreckem wrote:
Because that's false. If you want to work in Houston, STCL>Tech. The rest of Texas? Tech>STCL. This goes for Big Law, Small Law, and Govt. Lets not forget Tech is alot cheaper than STCL.

Whatever dude. If you want to think you got the last word in, go for it.


So prove him wrong. This isn't me being confrontational, but i am actually in this position. I was accepted to both but do not want to stay in Houston, and all the information here suggests that if i go to stcl, ill more likely than not be stuck in Houston. If you think you are right and can prove him wrong, by all means do so. My second deposit isnt till June. If you are right you will be doing me a favor.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Boy, it's good to see everyone's been having fun in this thread.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Grad_Student wrote:STCL attorneys vs. Texas Tech attorneys at top law firms

Greenburg Trauig: STCL-7 v. Tech-6
VE: STCL-18 v. Tech-6
Fulbright: STCL-23 v. Tech-7
King & Spaulding STCL-7 v. Tech-3
Andrews Kurth: STCL-19 v. Tech-5
Locke Lord & Bissell: STCL-16 v. Tech-7
Bracewell Giuliani: STCL-16 v. Tech-4


For the sake of what I believe has been argued, it would be instructive to look at these numbers broken down by city offices. It would also be helpful to look at this along with the attorney profiles I previously posted from the State of Texas, while also considering how many graduates are produced from each school every year.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Lucidity wrote:

You were clearly dumb enough to not understand that I was clearly talking about undergraduate institutions, which is why Texas ATM was brought up in the first place. Why in the hell would I ever mention ATM, unless I was talking about undergrad. You went to Texas Tech out of undergrad because of a lack of options, not because it was your choice. Lubbock is everyone in the state's backup, and you know it. You are just in denial of this fact. With regards to law school, you will be screwed there when searching for a summer internship. Even if you do get one in one of the larger markets, your costs will be very high because you would have to move and rent. ST students will have the luxury of already being in the largest legal market in the state. You will have a certain lack of options when it comes to clinics as well. South Texas dominates, along with UH the Houston legal market, while Texas Tech gets the leftovers of the other 3 remaining legal markets. They aren't even significant in the markets that you claim they have a significant influence. THEY GET THE LEFTOVERS OF THE STATE. You are in loser denial. I don't know if it happened to you before you went to Lubbock. If it didn't, then it certainly happened to you once you got there. Have fun fornicating with barn animals for three more years!


The amount of fail in this post alone is just simply delicious. You are so blinded by your strange seething hatred for tech that you grasp at any and all straws you can to defend your irrational position. Newsflash, i didn't go to tech for undergrad. But I AM calling you out for being a douche. You started out sane enough, arguing with actual facts and numbers. But then when the numbers clearly showed that STCL is a one trick pony with only the (albeit large) Houston market and that outside of the comfort blanket of Houston STCL fades precipitously, you get your panties in a twist and pull out the personal attacks. Who gives a shit about undergrad? We are talking about law schools. Perhaps you missed that when you clicked on the top law schools link. Talk about rc fail.

Seriously, I'm really curious. Did tech rape and murder your family or something? Why the hatred for tech? It can't JUST be simply that you are trying to justify your decision to go to STCL, can it? South Texas is a fine school - for Houston. Normal people would be happy with this and move on. Unless that is you ... i dunno ... got denied by tech and have an axe to grind or something. That can't be it, can it?


Here is a list of the schools that dominate the legal markets in Texas:

Houston - ST/UH
Austin - UT
Dallas - SMU
Ft. Worth - UT/Tex Wes.

So, if you want to go to a school where you are recruited secondarily in the major legal markets in Texas, the Texas Tech is your choice. If you want to go to a school where you are the primary recruitee, go to ST, UH, UT, SMU, Tex Wes. If you wish to hold on hope that you can be one of the 5%, 11% (a TT high), 6%, and 2% of the lawyers in these markets, go for it. I wouldn't, but then again, I am rational. The numbers are in black and white. By going to Tech you condemn yourself to being a back-up option for the largest legal markets in the state. If you want to work in a large legal market, DON'T go to Tech. The statistics of Tech in Dallas, Tarrant aren't statistically significant either, because most ST graduates self-select to not go to the Dallas and Tarrant markets because they have so many options in Harris. If this were not the case, and I admit this is impossible to prove, the numbers would be vastly different in both Dallas and Tarrant. Even as it is, the difference between the stats in Dallas and Tarrant between TT and ST aren't large enough to warrant the risk of Tech, when you have such a statistically better chance of succeeding(in terms of being in a large legal market) at ST. Face it, Texas Tech people just don't get it. Probably the reason they will end up there, when better options exist.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 5:39 pm

jgrin wrote:Here is a list of the schools that dominate the legal markets in Texas:

Houston - ST/UH
Austin - UT
Dallas - SMU
Ft. Worth - UT/Tex Wes.



Close, but Ft. Worth is still primarily served by SMU. I would choose Tech over Wesleyan. It's cheaper and has better name recognition in Texas.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 5:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
jgrin wrote:Here is a list of the schools that dominate the legal markets in Texas:

Houston - ST/UH
Austin - UT
Dallas - SMU
Ft. Worth - UT/Tex Wes.



Close, but Ft. Worth is still primarily served by SMU. I would choose Tech over Wesleyan. It's cheaper and has better name recognition in Texas.


Agreed, but with regards to representation, tex wes has a larger percentage of lawyers in tarrant county than tt does.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 5:45 pm

jgrin wrote:Here is a list of the schools that dominate the legal markets in Texas:

Houston - ST/UH
Austin - UT
Dallas - SMU
Ft. Worth - UT/Tex Wes.

So, if you want to go to a school where you are recruited secondarily in the major legal markets in Texas, the Texas Tech is your choice. If you want to go to a school where you are the primary recruitee, go to ST, UH, UT, SMU, Tex Wes. If you wish to hold on hope that you can be one of the 5%, 11% (a TT high), 6%, and 2% of the lawyers in these markets, go for it. I wouldn't, but then again, I am rational. The numbers are in black and white. By going to Tech you condemn yourself to being a back-up option for the largest legal markets in the state. If you want to work in a large legal market, DON'T go to Tech. The statistics of Tech in Dallas, Tarrant aren't statistically significant either, because most ST graduates self-select to not go to the Dallas and Tarrant markets because they have so many options in Harris. If this were not the case, and I admit this is impossible to prove, the numbers would be vastly different in both Dallas and Tarrant. Even as it is, the difference between the stats in Dallas and Tarrant between TT and ST aren't large enough to warrant the risk of Tech, when you have such a statistically better chance of succeeding(in terms of being in a large legal market) at ST. Face it, Texas Tech people just don't get it. Probably the reason they will end up there, when better options exist.


I'm not going to respond to any of the invective in this post, but in an attempt to address the rationale of your argument: If I didn't get into UT and I want to work in Austin, should I just give up and not go to law school?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Houzy, xnsch and 7 guests