Texas Tech v South Texas

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

jgrin wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
jgrin wrote:I would assume that is probably for FT and PT. You don't have to get upset because you were wrong about 600 grads...


don't get upset because you got waitlisted at Tech



Thats reason for celebration. No-one wants to go to Lubbock.


Then why'd you apply?

And I know tons of people that love Lubbock, myself being one of them. QOL is all subjective. Just because you don't like it, doesn't everyone feels the same.

Lubbock is by no means Houston. If you an applicant wants the "city life", they should go to a school in a city. But Tech will allow students to live that "city life" (with more free-time) after graduation in Dallas.

After living in Lubbock for four years, I'd argue that Lubbock has big city amenities (concerts, sports, night-life, food, culture, etc) without the major problems usually associated with living in a city like Houston (crime and traffic). Lubbock has ~250,000 people, making it larger than Norman, OK and College Station. Each city has its own problems, and people can trash them as much as they want. But Tech is a great school for the tuition. The COL in Lubbock is lower than anywhere else you can find (I pay $308 in rent/ month), and there is plenty to do.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 5:58 pm

texas man wrote:If you want to practice in Houston/Dallas/Austin, this might be helpful:

From the State Bar of Texas, attorney profiles by county:

Harris:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24268

Dallas:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24266

Tarrant:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24270

Travis:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24271

So, I agree with B.Gump -- if Houston, then South Texas. If anywhere else in Texas, then Texas Tech. Then again, the Lanier Law Firm is in Houston...

Thats reason for celebration. No-one wants to go to Lubbock.


Actually, I'm looking forward to going to Lubbock.


Guess you've never visited Lubbock before have you?

tarheel354
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby tarheel354 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Dude, jgrinn, shut-up. Just trying to come back on this website and get some perspective bc I am also trying to decide btw St. Mary's and STCL, and your ridiculous arguments are taking over the whole board.

Btw, just bc you didn't get in to Texas Tech, doesnt mean you have to argue for STCL just bc you got in.


But on another note... Anyone want to share some wisdom on deciding btw St. Mary's and STCL? Wanting to head to Dallas after school.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 pm

tarheel354 wrote:Dude, jgrinn, shut-up. Just trying to come back on this website and get some perspective bc I am also trying to decide btw St. Mary's and STCL, and your ridiculous arguments are taking over the whole board.

Btw, just bc you didn't get in to Texas Tech, doesnt mean you have to argue for STCL just bc you got in.


But on another note... Anyone want to share some wisdom on deciding btw St. Mary's and STCL? Wanting to head to Dallas after school.


My aunt went to St. Mary's in the 80s and hated it. She has told me horror stories about the school weeding a certain percentage of people out by expelling them after they fail a course. Not sure if this policy is still in place, but you may want to ask about their attrition rate. With that said, my aunt has been very successful in my opinion. She was a prosecutor for 15+ years and was recently elected judge in a pretty good size city.

Unless you get a huge amount of money thrown at you from St. Mary's, I'd say STCL is a clear winner. It is cheaper, has better employment prospects (except for Austin and San Antonio), and has a better reputation.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Thu May 06, 2010 6:51 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Guess you've never visited Lubbock before have you?


I've been there several times.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Thu May 06, 2010 6:59 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
tarheel354 wrote:Dude, jgrinn, shut-up. Just trying to come back on this website and get some perspective bc I am also trying to decide btw St. Mary's and STCL, and your ridiculous arguments are taking over the whole board.

Btw, just bc you didn't get in to Texas Tech, doesnt mean you have to argue for STCL just bc you got in.


But on another note... Anyone want to share some wisdom on deciding btw St. Mary's and STCL? Wanting to head to Dallas after school.


My aunt went to St. Mary's in the 80s and hated it. She has told me horror stories about the school weeding a certain percentage of people out by expelling them after they fail a course. Not sure if this policy is still in place, but you may want to ask about their attrition rate. With that said, my aunt has been very successful in my opinion. She was a prosecutor for 15+ years and was recently elected judge in a pretty good size city.

Unless you get a huge amount of money thrown at you from St. Mary's, I'd say STCL is a clear winner. It is cheaper, has better employment prospects (except for Austin and San Antonio), and has a better reputation.


+1, once again.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:09 pm

texas man wrote:If you want to practice in Houston/Dallas/Austin, this might be helpful:

From the State Bar of Texas, attorney profiles by county:

Harris:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24268

Dallas:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24266

Tarrant:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24270

Travis:
http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Research_and_Analysis&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24271

So, I agree with B.Gump -- if Houston, then South Texas. If anywhere else in Texas, then Texas Tech. Then again, the Lanier Law Firm is in Houston...


This is good information. To me, it shows that Tech is comparable to SMU and UH outside of their respective markets and to Baylor's placement across the entire state. And with UH's tuition increase, it is about half the price of each of these schools. People will spout off statistics, rankings, and biglaw prospects, but with the economy the way it is and the fact that biglaw firms are cutting their recruitment numbers, it just seems common sense to at least seriously consider Tech. Just imagine going to smu or uh or baylor, not being in top quartile, and coming out with $100,000+ in debt just because you thought the chance at biglaw was worth the risk. I believe that as a result of this recession, people will slowly begin to realize the biglaw bubble has popped and will take tuition and COL much more into consideration. People like to say they went to a higher ranked school, but the truth of the matter is that "prestige" only gets you your first job. After that, no one cares where you went.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:23 pm

texas man wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Guess you've never visited Lubbock before have you?


I've been there several times.


My condolences

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:26 pm

b.gump81 wrote: Each city has its own problems, and people can trash them as much as they want.But if you trash on Lubbock and Tech, I'll send you PMs and tell you how much of a know it all you are

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Grad_Student » Thu May 06, 2010 9:41 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
tarheel354 wrote:Dude, jgrinn, shut-up. Just trying to come back on this website and get some perspective bc I am also trying to decide btw St. Mary's and STCL, and your ridiculous arguments are taking over the whole board.

Btw, just bc you didn't get in to Texas Tech, doesnt mean you have to argue for STCL just bc you got in.


But on another note... Anyone want to share some wisdom on deciding btw St. Mary's and STCL? Wanting to head to Dallas after school.


My aunt went to St. Mary's in the 80s and hated it. She has told me horror stories about the school weeding a certain percentage of people out by expelling them after they fail a course. Not sure if this policy is still in place, but you may want to ask about their attrition rate. With that said, my aunt has been very successful in my opinion. She was a prosecutor for 15+ years and was recently elected judge in a pretty good size city.

Unless you get a huge amount of money thrown at you from St. Mary's, I'd say STCL is a clear winner. It is cheaper, has better employment prospects (except for Austin and San Antonio), and has a better reputation.

Yeah, can't say I've heard many good things that come out of St. Mary's.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Definitely don't think St. Mary's a good option. Not sure how portable STCL degree is to Dallas but I would chance it over St. Mary's.

And I wish you guys would stop arguing about Lubbock. Some are going to love it, some are going to hate it. You idea of exciting things to do is not everyone's idea. Agree to disagree and press on. Tech is not and has never been a bad school.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 10:21 pm

merichard87 wrote:Definitely don't think St. Mary's a good option. Not sure how portable STCL degree is to Dallas but I would chance it over St. Mary's.

And I wish you guys would stop arguing about Lubbock. Some are going to love it, some are going to hate it. You idea of exciting things to do is not everyone's idea. Agree to disagree and press on. Tech is not and has never been a bad school.


School ain't bad. Town is.

longhornmarine
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby longhornmarine » Sun May 09, 2010 3:56 am

So the verdict is, South Texas has strong regional value in Houston, and I would benefit from STCL over Tech in Houston, but Tech would be a better shot for markets like Dallas and West texas. Oh well, I am going to visit both and see what impressions I get from either.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby ggocat » Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 am

longhornmarine wrote:So the verdict is, South Texas has strong regional value in Houston, and I would benefit from STCL over Tech in Houston, but Tech would be a better shot for markets like Dallas and West texas. Oh well, I am going to visit both and see what impressions I get from either.

What is your expected debt from each school?

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 09, 2010 9:36 am

Grad_Student wrote:Tech will take you in Dallas
STCL will keep you in Houston
No one gets jobs in Austin


Tech gets jobs in Austin. I can't speak for STCL, but Tech grads can get jobs in Austin. Even good jobs.

Don't let TLS bullshit you, OP. If you represent yourself well, network, and place highly in your class, you can do well anywhere. There are OKC grads who are biglaw partners in Austin. Your chances are better from particular universities, like UT, that have strong reps and large alumni bases in certain areas, but they do not have a monopoly. TLS likes to pretend that a 10% rate is the same as a 0% chance.

Don't let me mislead you--if you want Austin, your best chance is UT. If you want Houston, UH or STCL. Dallas, SMU. Etc. You have to be connected, exceptional, persistent, or any combination of the three, as well as maybe a little lucky, to break outside the norm. But it's possible.

I'd say Tech, unless you have a strong interest in trial advocacy and like the city of Houston.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Grad_Student » Sun May 09, 2010 10:18 am

TCS wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:Tech will take you in Dallas
STCL will keep you in Houston
No one gets jobs in Austin


Tech gets jobs in Austin. I can't speak for STCL, but Tech grads can get jobs in Austin. Even good jobs.

Don't let TLS bullshit you, OP. If you represent yourself well, network, and place highly in your class, you can do well anywhere. There are OKC grads who are biglaw partners in Austin. Your chances are better from particular universities, like UT, that have strong reps and large alumni bases in certain areas, but they do not have a monopoly. TLS likes to pretend that a 10% rate is the same as a 0% chance.

Don't let me mislead you--if you want Austin, your best chance is UT. If you want Houston, UH or STCL. Dallas, SMU. Etc. You have to be connected, exceptional, persistent, or any combination of the three, as well as maybe a little lucky, to break outside the norm. But it's possible.

I'd say Tech, unless you have a strong interest in trial advocacy and like the city of Houston.

I'm sure them do. Just like graduates from New Mexico, San Diego and Colorado get jobs in Austin. I was being factious when I wrote the post. I was born in Austin and worked in Austin at a lobbying firm, so I could go back and get a job. Point is, it's going to be much more difficult to get a job in Austin if you went to Tech or STCL than if you went to UT or Georgetown. It's a small small market that it is expensive to live in.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun May 09, 2010 10:58 am

TCS wrote:Tech gets jobs in Austin. I can't speak for STCL, but Tech grads can get jobs in Austin. Even good jobs.

Don't let TLS bullshit you, OP. If you represent yourself well, network, and place highly in your class, you can do well anywhere.


For the Austin offices, F&J has 2 attorneys that went to Tech, V&E has 0 and Baker Botts has 1. If your point is that, at some point in time someone from Tech will get a biglaw job in Austin, I don't disagree. But going to Tech with an expectation of getting a biglaw job in Austin is likely not going to work out.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Sun May 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
TCS wrote:Tech gets jobs in Austin. I can't speak for STCL, but Tech grads can get jobs in Austin. Even good jobs.

Don't let TLS bullshit you, OP. If you represent yourself well, network, and place highly in your class, you can do well anywhere.


For the Austin offices, F&J has 2 attorneys that went to Tech, V&E has 0 and Baker Botts has 1. If your point is that, at some point in time someone from Tech will get a biglaw job in Austin, I don't disagree. But going to Tech with an expectation of getting a biglaw job in Austin is likely not going to work out.


I agree with your conclusion, and I would add that it is also true for every other school in Texas except UT. I also agree with TCS - Tech grads do get good jobs in Austin. I personally know several - small/solo, mid, & biglaw - who are doing well (and just for a factual correction, Alberto Cardenas is a Tech grad who works at V&E in Austin).

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 pm

longhornmarine wrote:Oh well, I am going to visit both and see what impressions I get from either.


After you visit both, let us know what you think!

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Sun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm

I've heard of Tech grads getting some jobs in Austin. But it is still Lubbock. I got in at Tech and they gave me some money but I'm withdrawing. Hopefully this helps someone.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Sun May 09, 2010 5:04 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I've heard of Tech grads getting some jobs in Austin. But it is still Lubbock. I got in at Tech and they gave me some money but I'm withdrawing. Hopefully this helps someone.


Where will you be going in the fall darknight?

longhornmarine
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby longhornmarine » Sun May 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Waiting out a year is still a consideration for me. I had swine Flu before taking the LSAT and my score was about 10 points less then my 10 or so practice exams. My original plan was to try to go to U of H, maybe even SMU or another top 50 school in the South. But, since i was in the Military for four years, I am hesitant to put it off another year-I'd like to just get it started.

As far as debt, clearly I would be in more debt at ST with tuition being about 20k total more, and cost of living probably being 2x as much in Houston. Getting my MBA while at Tech is an incentive as well, I could make myself more marketable when I graduate. Its a tough choice.. I am finishing up finals right now, and then I will take 4-5 more practice tests to see if I should take the June LSAT or not.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Sun May 09, 2010 5:24 pm

longhornmarine wrote: I am finishing up finals right now, and then I will take 4-5 more practice tests to see if I should take the June LSAT or not.


It might be kind of late to register for the June LSAT & have your choice of venue, depending on where you are - I know the venue made a big difference for me, so it might be worth looking into.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Sun May 09, 2010 10:51 pm

texas man wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:I've heard of Tech grads getting some jobs in Austin. But it is still Lubbock. I got in at Tech and they gave me some money but I'm withdrawing. Hopefully this helps someone.


Where will you be going in the fall darknight?


Not sure. I visited LSU and liked the place. I have put down seat deposits there. Also put down a seat deposit at Arkansas and they gave me some money. Got into my own state school, UNM. I like Albq and getting in state tuition is nice. I'm still waiting to hear back from ASU. I'm riding a waitlist at SMU and William and Mary, but I'm only really serious about William and Mary. If I get in there then I am moving there the next day. Although SMU is nice...the price...Yikes. I'd say right now it is a toss up between LSU and UNM.

One thing about Texas Tech I did like was all the law professors with military backgrounds. I liked that as I wouldn't mind working for JAG or the federal government and it seems their faculty has alot of connections in that area. Maybe something for you guys to look into if that is your interest.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Mon May 10, 2010 1:09 am

darknightbegins wrote:
texas man wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:I've heard of Tech grads getting some jobs in Austin. But it is still Lubbock. I got in at Tech and they gave me some money but I'm withdrawing. Hopefully this helps someone.


Where will you be going in the fall darknight?


Not sure. I visited LSU and liked the place. I have put down seat deposits there. Also put down a seat deposit at Arkansas and they gave me some money. Got into my own state school, UNM. I like Albq and getting in state tuition is nice. I'm still waiting to hear back from ASU. I'm riding a waitlist at SMU and William and Mary, but I'm only really serious about William and Mary. If I get in there then I am moving there the next day. Although SMU is nice...the price...Yikes. I'd say right now it is a toss up between LSU and UNM.

One thing about Texas Tech I did like was all the law professors with military backgrounds. I liked that as I wouldn't mind working for JAG or the federal government and it seems their faculty has alot of connections in that area. Maybe something for you guys to look into if that is your interest.


Looks like you have some pretty good and diverse options. If you get into William and Mary, that would be pretty nice- it's a beautiful place; I've also got a sweet spot for them since Thomas Jefferson went there. UNM is unbelievably cheap - in this economy and job market this becomes more valuable. I also like Albuquerque- I've got relatives out there. I don't know much about Arkansas or ASU. I had to say no to SMU- I liked the campus, but it's over $100k more than Tech for me. I've paid off hundreds of thousands in debt before, and it's not something I want to do again. I've heard good things about LSU, but I'd watch out for that redhead (sorry, couldn't help it - I think that made you a legend on TLS)!

It's too bad you don't like Lubbock, with all of the military connections Tech has. I'm not personally interested in military law, but I was impressed to find out that Dean Huffman is a Four-Star General and he was the top JAG for the entire US Army. He's got some pretty good anecdotes about negotiating with the Chinese and also with the Russians. The Russian story involved a lot of shots of vodka. He also had Alberto Gonzales pop into his National Security Law class this semester to answer questions from his students about why he did what he did. Pretty impressive. A bunch of the other professors and deans have military connections as well.

For me, I've really liked Lubbock each time I've visited - this actually surprised me the first time I was there - I expected that I wouldn't like it. After visiting, it seems like the perfect atmosphere for me to go to law school - not too many distractions (it would be harder for me in Austin), I've found some great restaurants, the campus is really nice, and the swim pool is right by the law school. I'm also a little older than the average law student, so my priorities might be a little different.

For both of us, liking the city/region the school is in is pretty important, and it will have a major influence on where we end up working. I look forward to finding out where you end up, especially if it's at LSU!

Edit: Dean Huffman is actually a Major General (2 star).
Last edited by texas man on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, galeatus, harmcharm, j431e782, joezze, NotAGolfer, studyingeveryday and 22 guests