Texas Tech v South Texas

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0 and 16

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby 0 and 16 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 am

kalvano--how can you not like texas? i can't fathom how someone can simply hate an entire state.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 12:43 am

It's pretty simple, really. It's exactly the opposite of liking it.

0 and 16

Postby 0 and 16 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 am

kalvano wrote:It's pretty simple, really. It's exactly the opposite of liking it.

look dude, i respect the cryptic nature of your tls persona, but if you're going to school in the triple d, that's about as texas as it gets. just looking for specific reasons, thats all.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 10:54 am

0 and 16 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's pretty simple, really. It's exactly the opposite of liking it.

look dude, i respect the cryptic nature of your tls persona, but if you're going to school in the triple d, that's about as texas as it gets. just looking for specific reasons, thats all.

What do you want, a bullet list of talking points? Sorry, don't feel like typing that much. Suffice it to say I don't like it, never have, and would rank it about 3rd-5th from the bottom of states I wish to live in.

Also, "the triple d"? Dallas and chicks with large bewbies?

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

kalvano wrote:
0 and 16 wrote:

What do you want, a bullet list of talking points? Sorry, don't feel like typing that much. Suffice it to say I don't like it, never have, and would rank it about 3rd-5th from the bottom of states I wish to live in.

Ever been here, or are you just basing this sweeping generalization on the media and hollywood's depiction of the south and Texas?

3rd - 5th from the bottom? Dallas and Houston are the fastest growing places in the United States, so obviously there are several people who would rank it 1st. Maybe when you actually come here you will see why Texas is such a great state.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 am

I've lived in Texas all my life.

Edit - Also, the one who is making sweeping generalizations about Lubbock, including that residents there have dominant bestiality tendencies, is going to try and get pissy with me because I don't like Texas?
Last edited by kalvano on Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 am

jgrin wrote:
kalvano wrote:What do you want, a bullet list of talking points? Sorry, don't feel like typing that much. Suffice it to say I don't like it, never have, and would rank it about 3rd-5th from the bottom of states I wish to live in.

Ever been here, or are you just basing this sweeping generalization on the media and hollywood's depiction of the south and Texas?

3rd - 5th from the bottom? Dallas and Houston are the fastest growing places in the United States, so obviously there are several people who would rank it 1st. Maybe when you actually come here you will see why Texas is such a great state.

I think he's from Texas, but doesn't want to work here after law school. I disagree with his opinion about Texas, but don't think he's basing it on sweeping generalizations.

EDIT: Yep, Kal's from Texas.

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

I've lived in Texas for 18 years or so. I love it here. The people here are just so kind and courteous and the financial incentives to living here are huge. Sometimes the state tries something boneheaded, like the current textbook fiasco that is quite /facepalm worthy, but by in large its a wonderful place to live, raise children, etc. And, considering the mass migration into Texas from other states, there are plenty of people with the same mindset.

gunsandfrogs

Postby gunsandfrogs » Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I think jgrin assumed he didn't live in Texas because of all the bad things Kalvano had to say about Texas

Either way, Lubbock is less than optimal. And I agree with jgrin that ST is probably the better choice if you wanna go to a large legal market, but if you want to stay in West Texas, then Tech is the right choice

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Thu May 13, 2010 12:26 pm

kalvano wrote:I've lived in Texas all my life.

Edit - Also, the one who is making sweeping generalizations about Lubbock, including that residents there have dominant bestiality tendencies, is going to try and get pissy with me because I don't like Texas?

Sorry. I think some people who live out of the state and who have never been here do make sweeping generalization about the state of Texas, that are more times than not wrong. The media and Hollywood have such a liberal outlook, while Texas is such a conservative state. We will just say that these two entities don't exactly exist is harmony with one another. For example, I had a cousin from New York come in to Texas for the first time in her life when she was about 15 and asked, "Where are all the horses that Texans ride around on?" I for one thought she was stupid from that moment on, but I know people that have gotten that same exact question from their relatives. I think it serves as a good example that many people that live outside of Texas and who have never been make "sweeping generalizations" about the state based on both Hollywood and the media's depiction of Texas. Lets not forget what the media thinks of George Bush...

So, sorry Kalvano. But do you understand where I am coming from?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 1:48 pm

I understand where you're coming from, but you seem to have an issue with taking things to the absolute extreme. You might want to ratchet that down a notch or two.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Triple D Triple D Dallas Texas thats my city bro! (not sure why Dallas is called Triple D though)

Actually I'm from Houston and would love to move back after law school but would settle for Dallas. And although I loooove Texas I'm sure there are thousands of native Texans who don't enjoy it. Everything ain't for everybody. Get used to it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 2:45 pm

I've never heard Dallas called "Triple D". Is that some sports thing?

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 pm

kalvano wrote:I've never heard Dallas called "Triple D". Is that some sports thing?

Same here. I've only heard it referred to as the "Big D"

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:55 pm

It's a newer nickname. They call it the dirty dirty D so DDD = Triple D.

Also called the damn dirty D.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 3:11 pm

As a native New Mexican I will say that alot of people in New Mexico don't like Texas. It is the arrogance that some Texans about themselves. Also when I was driving through parts of Texas I saw the Texas flag waving higher than the American flag at one point. Pissed me the fuck off.

Overall I don't have a problem with Texas. Much of my family is from there. But I do understand why alot of people don't care for the state.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:28 pm

darknightbegins wrote:As a native New Mexican I will say that alot of people in New Mexico don't like Texas. It is the arrogance that some Texans about themselves. Also when I was driving through parts of Texas I saw the Texas flag waving higher than the American flag at one point. Pissed me the fuck off.

Overall I don't have a problem with Texas. Much of my family is from there. But I do understand why alot of people don't care for the state.

Meh. Your perception of Texans the same perception Texans have of New Yorkers. I mean, Texans, and most others, generally just drive through New Mexico on their way to more interesting destinations like California, Nevada or Arizona.

I'm only kidding of course. :lol:

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Thu May 13, 2010 3:45 pm

darknightbegins wrote:As a native New Mexican I will say that alot of people in New Mexico don't like Texas. It is the arrogance that some Texans about themselves. Also when I was driving through parts of Texas I saw the Texas flag waving higher than the American flag at one point. Pissed me the fuck off.

I'm not sure about HIGHER than the American flag, but i believe Texas is the only state thats allowed to fly their flag at the same level as the American flag. This is because at one point we were our own sovereign nation. This is part of the reason why Texans have such pride in themselves. In a way, we followed the American path to independence, a rag tag group of explorers and settlers beating back the superpower of the time to gain it's own independence. There's a lot of rich history there, and I think for the most part we have a right to be proud. Texas kicks ass. Our taxes are low, our cost of living is half what it is in New York, and our economy has always been stronger than the national average. And, in the past year or so, more people are flocking to become a Texan than any other state. http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/12/24 ... ion-began/. It aint bragging if it's true.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Texas flag <3

RSN_M3 wrote:

Meh. Your perception of Texans the same perception Texans have of New Yorkers. I mean, Texans, and most others, generally just drive through New Mexico on their way to more interesting destinations like California, Nevada or Arizona.

lol you weren't kidding

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Lucidity wrote:but i believe Texas is the only state thats allowed to fly their flag at the same level as the American flag.

Urban legend, though they actually teach it in high schools.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

Lucidity wrote: And, in the past year or so, more people are flocking to become a Texan than any other state. http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/12/24 ... ion-began/. It aint bragging if it's true.

That's not because Texas is so great. It's because it's so cheap.

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Thu May 13, 2010 4:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
Lucidity wrote:but i believe Texas is the only state thats allowed to fly their flag at the same level as the American flag.

Urban legend, though they actually teach it in high schools.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

Lucidity wrote: And, in the past year or so, more people are flocking to become a Texan than any other state. http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/12/24 ... ion-began/. It aint bragging if it's true.

That's not because Texas is so great. It's because it's so cheap.

Learn something new every day i guess. Thanks for that. And cheap + strong economy/job prospects ITE = great to me. I'm not really sure what metric you use to determine greatness, since you've been pretty vague on what bones you have to pick with the state.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Just because a place is cheap to live in doesn't make it a great place. It just makes it a place that's cheap to live in.

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Thu May 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Ok ... if we are just going around in circles like this i'll be the first to give after this. I'll state my point one more time and ask for further clarification from you. If you decide not to clarify, then we can just drop it and say we value different criteria when it comes to living locales.

We're not really disagreeing on anything. Texas is cheap. Texas has a strong economy and an unemployment rate roughly 1% lower than the national average. When the economy is circling the toilet, the fact that the state has a strong economy relative to other states, compounded by low cost of living and no state income tax to me makes this a pretty great place to live. See what i did there? What makes a place a GREAT place to live is subjective and can vary from person to person. I didn't just casually drop "great" as an ambiguous word, i explained why to me these traits make Texas great.

You're free to disagree, but it seems all you're giving as justification is "because it just is".

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 4:51 pm

There's a reason why I don't normally do this. People from Texas have some weird need to argue for hours that Texas is perfect and there is absolutely nothing bad about it whatsoever. They will argue incessantly over what is a subjective matter.

And something tells me I am going to regret this.

* Ever notice how, when people list their reasons for moving to Texas, it usually begins and ends with "cost of living"? When was the last time you heard someone say they want to move to Texas for the vibrant culture or the thriving city life?

* The weather is godawful. We have hot, not so hot, and really damn hot. I can remember many Christmases where I was outside in shorts and a t-shirt. That's plain ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that it's insanely hot for about half the year. Not just overly warm, but swimming-through-the-air humid combined with triple-digit temperatures. And unlike other places, where it can get just as warm, it lasts forever and there is no promise of a beautiful fall or white Christmas to offset the temperature.

* Football. I can't wait to live in a place where football is a sport, not a damn religion. They were seriously considering building a $60M (yes, million) high school football stadium. $60 million. For high school football.

* There seems to be some pathological need to tear down history and replace it with a brand-new shopping mall. Most major cities in Texas want to replace anything that's over 10 years old. It has to be shiny and new and by God, we need more malls and strip malls and McDonald's. I'm so sick of seeing Wal-Mart's every 6 blocks. It's disgusting. And it makes for bland and boring cities.

Most major cities have an identity, something unique about them. If you were to be set down in the middle of Boston or New York City or London or Chicago or San Francisco, you know immediately where you are. They have a feel that nothing in Texas matches. Austin and San Antonio aren't quite as bad, but especially Dallas and Houston - get set down in the middle of them, and you could be in any one of a 1,000 cities.

* Very tired of the Christian conservatism.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 5:59 pm

merichard87 wrote:Texas flag <3

RSN_M3 wrote:

lol you weren't kidding

Hey there is plenty wrong with New Mexico and I'm more than willing to go over it, if you wish. Outside of Albq and Santa Fe there isn't much in the state save for huge chunks of land that have no one living on them. Something else about Texas when I drive through I see all these signs about littering that say "Don't Mess with Texas". Another thing that makes me think Texans have a huge ego.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”