Texas Tech v South Texas

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm

b.gump81 wrote:the only real advantages SMU and UH have on Tech is their placement in Biglaw in their respective markets.



That's flat-out wrong.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby JordynAsh » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:the only real advantages SMU and UH have on Tech is their placement in Biglaw in their respective markets.



That's flat-out wrong.


LULZ inorite?

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 10:10 pm

kalvano wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:the only real advantages SMU and UH have on Tech is their placement in Biglaw in their respective markets.



That's flat-out wrong.


Even though you should probably start a new thread for this, I'm interested (a little) in hearing your argument for this.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 10:13 pm

It doesn't matter what you want to do for a job, going to the school that feeds that market is hugely advantageous.

Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 pm

kalvano wrote:It doesn't matter what you want to do for a job, going to the school that feeds that market is hugely advantageous.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you on this.


kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 10:25 pm

texas man wrote:
kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?



Yes. To say that the only advantage they have is Biglaw is asinine.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 pm

texas man wrote:
kalvano wrote:It doesn't matter what you want to do for a job, going to the school that feeds that market is hugely advantageous.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you on this.


kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?


HILARIOUS. Tech doesn't feed into a major market dumbass. You basically just affirmed everything I have said. ST does feed into a major market. Here is your rebuttal: But, but, we place in Dallas. Sure you do at a whopping 6% - Only a Tech tard would consider that significant enough to claim being able to "feed into a major market." ST feeds into a major market and thus is advantageous. By this same logic, TT does not, and thus is not as advantageous in this regard as ST.

Thats called Game. Set. Match.

SUCK IT Lubbock incest loving morons.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
texas man wrote:
kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?



Yes. To say that the only advantage they have is Biglaw is asinine.


I'm not saying it isnt an advantage to go to SMU for DFW or UH for Houston....I agree with you. I was just saying that I'm not sure it is worth the extra money to attend these schools over a school that costs half the price to attend, especially when someone is not dead set on a certain city and if the person realizes they can reach the same city (even if it takes a couple of years to get there)...again I am talking about non-big law

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 10:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
texas man wrote:
kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?



Yes. To say that the only advantage they have is Biglaw is asinine.


Agreed. Just wanted to make sure that's what you meant (I don't think B.Gump was arguing this - I think he was referring to the the comparison of the schools advantages in the state as a whole, not that in their respective markets this is the only advantage they have - I can see how it can be read both ways.)

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 pm

jgrin wrote:
texas man wrote:
kalvano wrote:It doesn't matter what you want to do for a job, going to the school that feeds that market is hugely advantageous.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you on this.


kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?


HILARIOUS. Tech doesn't feed into a major market dumbass. You basically just affirmed everything I have said. ST does feed into a major market. Here is your rebuttal: But, but, we place in Dallas. Sure you do at a whopping 6% - Only a Tech tard would consider that significant enough to claim being able to "feed into a major market." ST feeds into a major market and thus is advantageous. By this same logic, TT does not, and thus is not as advantageous in this regard as ST.

Thats called Game. Set. Match.

SUCK IT Lubbock incest loving morons.


haha i think people are just done listening to you. you are in your own world. and your argument is flawed, and you don't seem to get it, despite people telling you repeatedly.

your argument is similar to me saying 4th tier Cooley is better than Baylor because it places first in its lansing market while Baylor spreads its grads over several markets

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
texas man wrote:
kalvano wrote:Biglaw or not, people that go to SMU / UofH will have a myriad of opportunities not available to Tech students.
In their respective markets?



Yes. To say that the only advantage they have is Biglaw is asinine.


I'm not saying it isnt an advantage to go to SMU for DFW or UH for Houston....I agree with you. I was just saying that I'm not sure it is worth the extra money to attend these schools over a school that costs half the price to attend, especially when someone is not dead set on a certain city and if the person realizes they can reach the same city (even if it takes a couple of years to get there)...again I am talking about non-big law


This is pretty funny - it's good to know we're all on the same page (except jgrin, that is).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 10:46 pm

jgrin wrote:HILARIOUS. Tech doesn't feed into a major market dumbass. You basically just affirmed everything I have said. ST does feed into a major market. Here is your rebuttal: But, but, we place in Dallas. Sure you do at a whopping 6% - Only a Tech tard would consider that significant enough to claim being able to "feed into a major market." ST feeds into a major market and thus is advantageous. By this same logic, TT does not, and thus is not as advantageous in this regard as ST.

Thats called Game. Set. Match.

SUCK IT Lubbock incest loving morons.



I can't wait for your first "contempt of court" citation.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm done with this thread. But I think this quote kind of sums it up.

“Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do.” - James Harvey Robinson

It is human nature to justify our past actions to make ourselves feel better.

Jgrin- only got into STCL, so he feels the need to justify that his life will be ok. Which it will. STCL is a great school for a great legal market. And you will be fine if you kick ass and get in the top quartile.

Me- I am justifying passing on some ranked schools to attend a cheaper school. I hope it is the right decision as I do not want to take on huge debts, but time will tell

Kalvano- you have stated before the cycle how much you hate texas and never want to live here, but then when SMU gave you a great incentive to go with a good scholarship, you seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon. SMU is great, and I wish you the best. I hope you change your mind about Texas or are able to at least leave if you dont.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 pm

b.gump81 wrote:I'm done with this thread. But I think this quote kind of sums it up.

“Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do.” - James Harvey Robinson

It is human nature to justify our past actions to make ourselves feel better.

Jgrin- only got into STCL, so he feels the need to justify that his life will be ok. Which it will. STCL is a great school for a great legal market. And you will be fine if you kick ass and get in the top quartile.

Me- I am justifying passing on some ranked schools to attend a cheaper school. I hope it is the right decision as I do not want to take on huge debts, but time will tell

Kalvano- you have stated before the cycle how much you hate texas and never want to live here, but then when SMU gave you a great incentive to go with a good scholarship, you seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon. SMU is great, and I wish you the best. I hope you change your mind about Texas or are able to at least leave if you dont.


So, finally raising the white flag, ay?

longhornmarine
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby longhornmarine » Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 pm

I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because clearly the better options would be UT/UH/SMU in Texas.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 11:14 pm

b.gump81 wrote:Kalvano- you have stated before the cycle how much you hate texas and never want to live here, but then when SMU gave you a great incentive to go with a good scholarship, you seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon. SMU is great, and I wish you the best. I hope you change your mind about Texas or are able to at least leave if you dont.



Oh, I still hate Texas. But I've never thought SMU was a bad school, and if I have to "settle" for SMU with a 60% scholarship, I will count myself very lucky as I actively pursue employment outside of Texas.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 pm

longhornmarine wrote:I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because [strike]clearly[/strike] the better option[strike]s[/strike] would be UT[strike]/UH/SMU[/strike] in Texas....or SMU and UH with a decent scholarship

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 pm

longhornmarine wrote:I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because clearly the better options would be UT/UH/SMU in Texas.



If that's a viable option, then I would say definitely do that. A higher LSAT will always be more beneficial. Re-take, apply early, and get some scholarship money.

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby Lucidity » Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 pm

longhornmarine wrote:I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because clearly the better options would be UT/UH/SMU in Texas.


Only happened because an idiot decided he'd shit all over your thread because he had an axe to grind over being rejected. But if you are in no rush to go to law school, retaking is definitely something you should think about. You'd have an entire year to prep and ace the test, just be sure you are fine with postponing your education for another year. I know personally i would go insane taking a year off.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 pm

kalvano wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:Kalvano- you have stated before the cycle how much you hate texas and never want to live here, but then when SMU gave you a great incentive to go with a good scholarship, you seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon. SMU is great, and I wish you the best. I hope you change your mind about Texas or are able to at least leave if you dont.



Oh, I still hate Texas. But I've never thought SMU was a bad school, and if I have to "settle" for SMU with a 60% scholarship, I will count myself very lucky as I actively pursue employment outside of Texas.


whats with putting settle in quotes? It is obvious you settled when looking at the other schools you applied to and only got into wake and smu

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 pm

longhornmarine wrote:I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because clearly the better options would be UT/UH/SMU in Texas.


Nice to see another longhorn on the board. What year did you graduate?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 11:22 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:Kalvano- you have stated before the cycle how much you hate texas and never want to live here, but then when SMU gave you a great incentive to go with a good scholarship, you seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon. SMU is great, and I wish you the best. I hope you change your mind about Texas or are able to at least leave if you dont.



Oh, I still hate Texas. But I've never thought SMU was a bad school, and if I have to "settle" for SMU with a 60% scholarship, I will count myself very lucky as I actively pursue employment outside of Texas.


whats with putting settle in quotes? It is obvious you settled when looking at the other schools you applied to and only got into wake and smu



I got into others as well, and probably could have gotten in to more if I had applied to them, but I wasn't interested.

I put "settle" in quotes because for a lot of other people, SMU wouldn't be settling, it would be a dream.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby jgrin » Wed May 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Lucidity wrote:
longhornmarine wrote:I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because clearly the better options would be UT/UH/SMU in Texas.


Only happened because an idiot decided he'd shit all over your thread because he had an axe to grind over being rejected. But if you are in no rush to go to law school, retaking is definitely something you should think about. You'd have an entire year to prep and ace the test, just be sure you are fine with postponing your education for another year. I know personally i would go insane taking a year off.


Job in a large legal market in Texas = UT, SMU, UH, and ST.

Job outside a large legal market in Texas = TSU, TW, and TT.

Its up to the poster. If he would like to work in a large legal market then, ST is the better option. If he would like to work in po-dunk west Texas, then TT is the best option. So when comparing the two, it is essential to know what the OP has in mind.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby texas man » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 pm

longhornmarine wrote:I didnt realize the can of worms this post would open. I am still considering retaking the LSAT because clearly the better options would be UT/UH/SMU in Texas.


Yes - thanks for starting this thread - it has been entertaining. If you want to work in Dallas or Houston (especially biglaw), retaking the LSAT isn't a bad idea. And, if you retake and can get into UT, you'll have good options anywhere in Texas (and beyond). Even so, make sure and visit the schools personally before choosing.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 12:12 am

God damn. Tech along with Miami have to be two of the most controversial schools on this site.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: potatocowpower and 3 guests