Texas Tech v South Texas Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mpasi

Bronze

Re: Texas Tech v South Texas

Post by mpasi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:51 pm

kalvano wrote:
mpasi wrote:I think kalvano is confusing Dallas County with the actual city itself. Carrollton, Richardson, Rowlett, Farmers Branch, Las Colinas et al. are not Dallas. Dallas County is full of suburbs and the much-maligned strip malls. Dallas proper (Uptown, Oak Cliff, East Dallas, West Dallas, Highland Park, Vickery Meadows, et al.) is a huge metropolis, and getting more urban every second. It's where the good clubs and good eats are. Yeah, it's behind when compared to NYC or DC, but it's making up for it without losing its slight Southern charm. I practically grew up downtown. That is where life is interesting. My family lives in Suburbia thirty minutes away, and I hate it. It's boring as shit out here. And whoever suggested Uptown needs to point out how pricey Uptown is.

I'm not confusing anything.

I grew up in Lakewood / UP. I've lived all over the city and outskirts.

I disagree. You seem to be lumping all of Dallas County into one thing you really, really dislike. :D To each their own.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:07 pm

mpasi wrote:I haven't been to Victory Park yet, so I can't speak as to what kind of crowd it draws, but it's not the only spot in Dallas. I do know that you can go to a Mavs or Stars game for less than $20.

Victory Park is damn near deserted unless there is something going on. Business are folding quite a bit.

And a Stars game for less than $20? When is that, pre-season?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:08 pm

mpasi wrote:
kalvano wrote:
mpasi wrote:I think kalvano is confusing Dallas County with the actual city itself. Carrollton, Richardson, Rowlett, Farmers Branch, Las Colinas et al. are not Dallas. Dallas County is full of suburbs and the much-maligned strip malls. Dallas proper (Uptown, Oak Cliff, East Dallas, West Dallas, Highland Park, Vickery Meadows, et al.) is a huge metropolis, and getting more urban every second. It's where the good clubs and good eats are. Yeah, it's behind when compared to NYC or DC, but it's making up for it without losing its slight Southern charm. I practically grew up downtown. That is where life is interesting. My family lives in Suburbia thirty minutes away, and I hate it. It's boring as shit out here. And whoever suggested Uptown needs to point out how pricey Uptown is.

I'm not confusing anything.

I grew up in Lakewood / UP. I've lived all over the city and outskirts.

I disagree. You seem to be lumping all of Dallas County into one thing you really, really dislike. :D To each their own.

That's because Dallas is basically one unattractive, unappealing lump.

Yay! It's cheap to live there! It's for a reason.

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Grad_Student wrote:Tech will take you in Dallas
STCL will keep you in Houston
No one gets jobs in Austin

Why does no one get a job in Austin? Only UT, you mean?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Not that many jobs in Austin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:22 am

kalvano wrote:
mpasi wrote:I haven't been to Victory Park yet, so I can't speak as to what kind of crowd it draws, but it's not the only spot in Dallas. I do know that you can go to a Mavs or Stars game for less than $20.

Victory Park is damn near deserted unless there is something going on. Business are folding quite a bit.

And a Stars game for less than $20? When is that, pre-season?

Regular season, three years ago. Some friends and I went to a Mavs game in March for $12 each, but we had a discount. The cheapest regularly-priced ones were $20.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 pm

The funniest thing in this thread is "jgrin"(I think?) constantly asserting that STCL is on par with UH (and to a lesser extent, asserting that it's on par with UT/UH/SMU).

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Neither of these schools, Tech or South Texas, is on part with those other bigger schools. Now that doesn't mean those bigger schools are the better buy or necessarily the wiser choice, depends on a person's personal situation, but Tech and South just aren't on their level.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Ty Webb wrote:The funniest thing in this thread is "jgrin"(I think?) constantly asserting that STCL is on par with UH (and to a lesser extent, asserting that it's on par with UT/UH/SMU).
Not on par. STCL has relatively high representation in a major law market as does the three other schools aforementioned. UT/UH/SMU > STCL when it comes to your education. Nevertheless, the numbers indicate that they have representation that is on par with the tier, which doesn't mean they are on par with them as a whole. Obviously I am aware that other components go into judging a school than just their representation, which is what differentiates the tier one schools from the rest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:13 pm

longhornmarine wrote:So the verdict is in and here is my report of both...
It's good to hear that you were able to visit both and evaluate them first-hand. It's also nice to hear of your discovery that Lubbock isn't as bad as the general consensus believes it to be (for me it turned out to be far better), although I didn't think the facilities at Tech seemed old - the original building was built in 1967 (still very nice I thought) and the addition was built in 2008. In comparison, if you have visited SMU, the law school (from 1925) seems old, but for me this was an antiquated charm, while the campus at U of H lacked the charm (I do like their library though). I definitely agree that many at Tech are proud, but I don't see this in the negative sense of the word - they truly love and believe in the quality of the education they are getting - not a bad thing. I have also heard that South Texas has great facilities, and it is a really good school (especially for litigation).

Each one of these schools has great professors, and if you find the right fit for you and what you see in your future, then any of these can be the "right" choice.

Also, I think it's definitely not imprudent to retake the LSAT and possibly increase your options, especially if UT can become one of them - good luck.

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:14 pm

South Texas Dominates Houston?? Umm, no it doesn't. U of H and UT Austin dominate Houston's legal market. Like it or not South Texas Law school is still a tier 4 school; granted it is one of the better tier 4s out there (Yes, there is a difference!). Texas Tech is a decent law school that places their graduates throughout the state. I will give the poster who brought this up one thing...the school does place more if its graduates in Houston then Tech does. However, that maybe because the school is in Houston don't you think??? The school DOES NOT place well in big law EVEN IN Houston. If you are in the top 10% of the class then yes, you have a SHOT at big law (But even that is not a guarantee). On the other hand, Texas Tech also does not place well in big law either. I am not sure if this is the original posters goal though... I just transferred to Texas Tech and yes, I can admit the limits of my soon to be law school. South Texas is by no means a bad school though don't get me wrong, but to say the school DOMINATES Houston is absurd! Its almost like cooley law school claiming they are a top 20 law school in the country.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:40 pm

South Texas Dominates Houston?? Umm, no it doesn't.
Who actually said this? I haven't seen anyone argue this point, unless you are taking it out of context a little bit. Since the thread is titled TT V ST I think UH and UT were taken out of the equation. It is widely accepted that ST and TT are in an entirely different league.

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:17 pm

"You are missing what I am saying and what the forum is about completely. It is what is a better option, Texas Tech or South Texas. I argue that it is South Texas because it dominates the legal market in Houston. Texas Tech does not dominate a major legal market."

jgrin was arguing that South Texas dominates the Houston legal market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hookpiece

New

Post by Hookpiece » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:02 pm

For what it's worth, I spoke with a current big wig at Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell based in Houston. He informed me that they consider the top 15% of graduates from TTU for employment, but only the top 5% from STCL. I've been looking in depth at both schools, and it seems like they both have positive and negative aspects to them. From who I have spoken to in the legal community (not anywhere close to a representative body of the entire community), Texas Tech has a much better reputation.

In my opinion, I would say the nod goes to Tech in this discussion. Take it easy jgrin if you are still on this forum, I didn't kick your dog...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”