Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MoS

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby MoS » Sun May 09, 2010 10:32 pm

krj02004 wrote:
MoS wrote:Any aid money?

They said it's in the mail... so waiting to review the package. Hopefully it's substantial.

I do too.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:25 pm

MoS wrote:
krj02004 wrote:

They said it's in the mail... so waiting to review the package. Hopefully it's substantial.

I do too.

+1

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:06 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
MoS wrote:
krj02004 wrote:

I do too.

+1

Thank you for the well wishes. Just got my package...full scholly. Whoo hoo!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Full scholly from a waitlist offer? My God what are your numbers?

I think there might be something seriously wrong with Iowa's admissions dept when people admitted right off the bat get nothing but their WL's get fully scholly's (not to diminish the joy you should have for your full scholly, bc that's great, but wtf)

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Regionality wrote:Full scholly from a waitlist offer? My God what are your numbers?

I think there might be something seriously wrong with Iowa's admissions dept when people admitted right off the bat get nothing but their WL's get fully scholly's (not to diminish the joy you should have for your full scholly, bc that's great, but wtf)

I don't think it's Iowa in particular. Generally when I they offer admission with scholarship money, and that person later denies the acceptance, they replace that admitted student and his/her scholarship with a similar background person off the WL.

From my experience and talks with finaid and admissions offices at numerous schools, this seems to be a normal practice. It makes sense too.. they are just "replacing" the candidate with another, similar one.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Minnesota is known for full scholarships off the WL as well. Some schools have a penchant for it, and care deeply about 75th percentile numbers (or filling a certain niche).

Congrats OP. A good friend just graduated from Iowa Law this year, and loved his time there. He's off to Kansas City in the fall with a solid job offer. Best of luck!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 8:51 pm

krj02004 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Full scholly from a waitlist offer? My God what are your numbers?

I don't think it's Iowa in particular. Generally when I they offer admission with scholarship money, and that person later denies the acceptance, they replace that admitted student and his/her scholarship with a similar background person off the WL.

From my experience and talks with finaid and admissions offices at numerous schools, this seems to be a normal practice. It makes sense too.. they are just "replacing" the candidate with another, similar one.

This makes no sense. 95% of what these schools look for are high GPA's and high LSAT scores. If someone wasn't strong enough to be accepted in the first place, why would they all of a sudden be strong enough to get a full ride scholarship? There are people already accepted to Iowa who got in in the first place who were told they were nominated for partial scholarship but ended up getting nothing...

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:00 pm

krj02004 wrote:

I understand this happens and certainly Iowa is perfectly within its rights to do this but given how they've been handling scholarships this year in general, I can't help but think it's pretty shady. Iowa has notified those who were admitted off the bat whether or not they had been nominated for a scholarship but weren't awarded one. There are over 75 people on that nominated list. Dean Byrd made it clear that turned down money would be reallocated to people on this list when it became available.

Congrats to the OP and by all means this is wonderful news for you. But I can't help but think that Iowa is really screwing up and frankly, pissing off a lot of its new students this year.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sun May 23, 2010 10:29 pm

The OP got in with small money at Vandy, I am pretty sure she deserves money at Iowa. Plus you have to realize some people are on the waitlist not because they weren't good enough to accept at first, nor even because of yield protection, but because they don't have enough space left because they have accepted too many people. I imagine the OP falls in the last and at the very least the second category. And where Iowa really messed up was not how it distributes its scholarships, it was in letting people know they were nominated but didn't receive one. But thats the messed up part of transparency, more people seem to complain when they know how the sausage is made.

PS:Congratulations krj02004 I hope you make the choice that makes you the happiest. Maybe I will see you in Iowa City

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:04 pm

MoS wrote:The OP got in with small money at Vandy, I am pretty sure she deserves money at Iowa. Plus you have to realize some people are on the waitlist not because they weren't good enough to accept at first, nor even because of yield protection, but because they don't have enough space left because they have accepted too many people. I imagine the OP falls in the last and at the very least the second category. And where Iowa really messed up was not how it distributes its scholarships, it was in letting people know they were nominated but didn't receive one. But thats the messed up part of transparency, more people seem to complain when they know how the sausage is made.

I agree with all this. Notifying people they were nominated and that they'd reallocate turned down money to these people as they could is really the only "wrong" thing Iowa did in this situation. But obviously I doubt these practices are abnormal in LS admissions across the board. Their problem was that they were too honest.

I don't think anyone is saying the OP doesn't deserve the money (I certainly didn't mean to imply that) as I'm sure she has great qualifications and deserves fantastic opportunities. Good luck with your decision, OP!

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:12 am

MoS wrote:The OP got in with small money at Vandy, I am pretty sure she deserves money at Iowa. Plus you have to realize some people are on the waitlist not because they weren't good enough to accept at first, nor even because of yield protection, but because they don't have enough space left because they have accepted too many people. I imagine the OP falls in the last and at the very least the second category. And where Iowa really messed up was not how it distributes its scholarships, it was in letting people know they were nominated but didn't receive one. But thats the messed up part of transparency, more people seem to complain when they know how the sausage is made.

PS:Congratulations krj02004 I hope you make the choice that makes you the happiest. Maybe I will see you in Iowa City

Thank you! And my situation is a bit unique. I was very surprised that I was WL at Iowa because I got into higher ranked schools, but I did apply last minute and I think that was a huge factor. Also after only 1 week on the WL the dean called me and told me that they just really didn't think I would move to Iowa with kids when I was living in California and now on th East Coast. I didn't know they even thought about those things.

But if Iowa has notified that they were giving out scholly $ to people and didn't, I can see how that would be upsetting.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I will see you all in Iowa City to those who are going.... I've decided debt load of $200k at Vandy prolly isn't a better tradeoff.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”