Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 am

So I was WL at Iowa 2 weeks ago. They emailed today that they have an opening, however they would like me to respond to a couple questions before an Admissions Rep calls me. Here are the Q's:

1) Am I still Interested?
2) How likely am I to accept an offer of Admission


Here's my dilemna... I got into Vandy but they gave me crappy financial aid. I'm very open to going to the MidWest but ONLY if they give me a significant amount of financial aid. I doubt I should email those exact words to Iowa, but it's the truth that I need them to give me $$. I'm a single mom so I have other costs to factor in, namely childcare expenses.

I'm trying to figure out a way to tell Iowa I'm very interested in them academically, but only with significant scholarship $$ without sounding completely unprofessional and ending up without an official offer of Admission. How do I approach these questions? Or, should I completely forget mentioning financial aid?

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby missinglink » Tue May 04, 2010 1:48 am

krj02004 wrote:So I was WL at Iowa 2 weeks ago. They emailed today that they have an opening, however they would like me to respond to a couple questions before an Admissions Rep calls me. Here are the Q's:

1) Am I still Interested?
2) How likely am I to accept an offer of Admission


Here's my dilemna... I got into Vandy but they gave me crappy financial aid. I'm very open to going to the MidWest but ONLY if they give me a significant amount of financial aid. I doubt I should email those exact words to Iowa, but it's the truth that I need them to give me $$. I'm a single mom so I have other costs to factor in, namely childcare expenses.

I'm trying to figure out a way to tell Iowa I'm very interested in them academically, but only with significant scholarship $$ without sounding completely unprofessional and ending up without an official offer of Admission. How do I approach these questions? Or, should I completely forget mentioning financial aid?


I would write back that you are interested and would accept. You're right that it isn't really the right venue to talk financial aid. Once you're on the phone with the admissions rep is the time to talk cash, I think.

I'll let some other people chime in here, as I'm just an uninformed 0L, but this is my best sense of the situation.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby im_blue » Tue May 04, 2010 1:52 am

I'm surprised you got into Vandy (3.71/168 medians) but got WL at Iowa (3.61/161). Are you an extreme splitter, URM, or other special case?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 04, 2010 1:54 am

If your acceptance of the offer is contingent upon financial aid, then let them know ASAP. Your chat with the admissions rep will probably be more productive if he/she knows the situation before calling you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:38 am

JOThompson wrote:If your acceptance of the offer is contingent upon financial aid, then let them know ASAP. Your chat with the admissions rep will probably be more productive if he/she knows the situation before calling you.


Fuck that, let them take the yield hit if they won't pay up. What they are doing is cheating.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:31 am

im_blue wrote:I'm surprised you got into Vandy (3.71/168 medians) but got WL at Iowa (3.61/161). Are you an extreme splitter, URM, or other special case?



My merits speak for themself :)

I've been accepted and waitlisted all over the place...accepted at Cornell but waitlisted at American. Makes no sense.


So it seems I'm getting split advice.... maybe I should call a rep and ask about what's left of financial aid at Iowa before submitting my "official" response?

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 am

Having visited Iowa two weeks ago and spoken with Dean Byrd about financial aid, I honestly doubt any will become available. There are 78 people who were admitted and nominated for scholarships but who aren't receiving any money because they ran out of cash. I was told that if money were to become available it would be reallocated to those nominated for full rides before anyone else. Dean Byrd made it sounds like only 4-5 people out of this 78 might get some more money.

Like I said, I doubt they'll be able to throw cash your way but I suppose it's worth a try. With that said, it's always been my understanding that if you get in off the WL you should be expecting to pay full price. I'm thinking this is their understanding as well. When you email them back I might just ask if they think there's any chance of some financial assistance outside of the loans. That way you're not telling them you'll only go with money, but you still get your answer.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:47 am

JOThompson wrote:If your acceptance of the offer is contingent upon financial aid, then let them know ASAP. Your chat with the admissions rep will probably be more productive if he/she knows the situation before calling you.


TITCR. Be honest but professional. At worst, they'll just ultimately reject you and you'd be going to Vandy anyway. At best, they'll give you a better offer.

Vandy's a bargaining chip in my mind.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 am

I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

krj02004 wrote:I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!


This is great news for you. Congrats!

I do have to say though that this is somewhat disappointing for others who were admitted months ago and have been hoping for scholarship money to be reallocated to them. I can't help but feel like this is somewhat unfair.

letsgo
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby letsgo » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am

krj02004 wrote:I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!


I wouldn't pick Iowa over Vandy under any circumstance.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 am

letsgo wrote:
krj02004 wrote:I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!


I wouldn't pick Iowa over Vandy under any circumstance.


I wouldn't either but OP is a single parent so their considerations are slightly different than the average law student.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:25 am

krj02004 wrote:I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!


Did you mention that your other offer is from Vandy? I think this is an important detail...

letsgo
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby letsgo » Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

webbylu87 wrote:
letsgo wrote:
krj02004 wrote:I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!


I wouldn't pick Iowa over Vandy under any circumstance.


I wouldn't either but OP is a single parent so their considerations are slightly different than the average law student.


Mmm..yeah tough call.

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby Sias » Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
JOThompson wrote:If your acceptance of the offer is contingent upon financial aid, then let them know ASAP. Your chat with the admissions rep will probably be more productive if he/she knows the situation before calling you.


Fuck that, let them take the yield hit if they won't pay up. What they are doing is cheating.


+1

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby MoS » Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 am

krj02004 wrote:I took people's advice, and I decided to call Dean Bird first before writing him back to tell him how very interested I am in Iowa, but wanted to know the possibility of any scholarship availability for WL candidates.

He said that he had my file right in front of him actually, and that that recent scholarship money came available ... and he is confident they can offer me an attractive financial aid package.

We'll see.... it would have to be a crap load of money if I'm going to turn down Vandy. I'm crossing my fingers though!

Did Dean Byrd tell you Rodney Dangerfield jokes? Just curious.

My guess is that they want some part of your numbers if they are letting you in off the waitlist. And you told them the truth so kudos to you. If they offer you money, which I hope they do, they have only handed out full scholarships this year so far, you won't be disappointed. If they don't, well you told them the situation and that is all you can do. But be wary of their contingencies.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:58 am

Yeah, I totally understand that possible picking Iowa over Vandy is a head-scratcher. But I have TWO babies, a divorce I'm paying for, and my ex-husband is unreliable when it comes to the child support.

I loved Vandy when I visited.... but they only gave me $10k.... I have to take out an additional $10k for childcare loans, so basically I would be paying full sticker price at Vandy and come out with around $200k in debt.

If I was single with no children, I would be at Vandy in a heartbeat...or hope to get off the WL at Columbia and head to NY :). But I honestly think that when you have kids, there are so many unknowns in the future that I have to take into account. I want my kids to go to good schools and have a good quality of life... that's going to be hard to do with $200k in debt and I feel even more pressure to make sure to get a high paying job when I graduate in biglaw.... but my heart is in public interest. ANd what if one of my children became ill and it was necessary for me to work only PT... or some other unexpected life event? SO many things to consider. And also, I'm trying ot be realistic here... to graduate top of your class at a highly ranked school requires A LOT of time... time I may not have while raising 2 children. But I don't know... I will find out. But the last thing I need to happen is to graduate bottom of my class at Vandy... or anywhere... that won't look good to any employer.

I think for me I have to go where the money is, even if it isn't my top 20 dream school. Hey, at least I'm GOING to law school and for me, with everything I've been through, that's a success story in itself :). And Iowa is still ranked 26th!


What do you think? Am I way off base?

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:21 pm

krj02004 wrote:Yeah, I totally understand that possible picking Iowa over Vandy is a head-scratcher. But I have TWO babies, a divorce I'm paying for, and my ex-husband is unreliable when it comes to the child support.

I loved Vandy when I visited.... but they only gave me $10k.... I have to take out an additional $10k for childcare loans, so basically I would be paying full sticker price at Vandy and come out with around $200k in debt.

If I was single with no children, I would be at Vandy in a heartbeat...or hope to get off the WL at Columbia and head to NY :). But I honestly think that when you have kids, there are so many unknowns in the future that I have to take into account. I want my kids to go to good schools and have a good quality of life... that's going to be hard to do with $200k in debt and I feel even more pressure to make sure to get a high paying job when I graduate in biglaw.... but my heart is in public interest. ANd what if one of my children became ill and it was necessary for me to work only PT... or some other unexpected life event? SO many things to consider. And also, I'm trying ot be realistic here... to graduate top of your class at a highly ranked school requires A LOT of time... time I may not have while raising 2 children. But I don't know... I will find out. But the last thing I need to happen is to graduate bottom of my class at Vandy... or anywhere... that won't look good to any employer.

I think for me I have to go where the money is, even if it isn't my top 20 dream school. Hey, at least I'm GOING to law school and for me, with everything I've been through, that's a success story in itself :). And Iowa is still ranked 26th!


What do you think? Am I way off base?


I think your logic is sound. Not everyone can afford to take the risk of high loans and honestly the financial health of your family must come first. I don't think anyone should fault you if you decide on Iowa with a large scholarship over Vandy in your circumstances. Did Dean Byrd have any inclination when you might know your financial package?

letsgo
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby letsgo » Tue May 04, 2010 12:25 pm

krj02004 wrote:Yeah, I totally understand that possible picking Iowa over Vandy is a head-scratcher. But I have TWO babies, a divorce I'm paying for, and my ex-husband is unreliable when it comes to the child support.

I loved Vandy when I visited.... but they only gave me $10k.... I have to take out an additional $10k for childcare loans, so basically I would be paying full sticker price at Vandy and come out with around $200k in debt.

If I was single with no children, I would be at Vandy in a heartbeat...or hope to get off the WL at Columbia and head to NY :). But I honestly think that when you have kids, there are so many unknowns in the future that I have to take into account. I want my kids to go to good schools and have a good quality of life... that's going to be hard to do with $200k in debt and I feel even more pressure to make sure to get a high paying job when I graduate in biglaw.... but my heart is in public interest. ANd what if one of my children became ill and it was necessary for me to work only PT... or some other unexpected life event? SO many things to consider. And also, I'm trying ot be realistic here... to graduate top of your class at a highly ranked school requires A LOT of time... time I may not have while raising 2 children. But I don't know... I will find out. But the last thing I need to happen is to graduate bottom of my class at Vandy... or anywhere... that won't look good to any employer.

I think for me I have to go where the money is, even if it isn't my top 20 dream school. Hey, at least I'm GOING to law school and for me, with everything I've been through, that's a success story in itself :). And Iowa is still ranked 26th!


What do you think? Am I way off base?


Follow the Money work really hard at Iowa ---> profit....i gave up a full scholarship at Iowa ...maybe it will go to you...But you should call them and tell them ur situation and i can see a full ride coming your way.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 04, 2010 12:31 pm

If PI is your ambition, you may want to consider Vandy at sticker over an Iowa full ride. Vanderbilt is going to offer the best boost to your career and you need every edge ITE. IBR is an imperfect safety net, but still a decent fallback. Using that logic, If Vandy offers me admission, I know I'd readily take the offer and forego my scholly at Iowa.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:32 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
krj02004 wrote:Yeah, I totally understand that possible picking Iowa over Vandy is a head-scratcher. But I have TWO babies, a divorce I'm paying for, and my ex-husband is unreliable when it comes to the child support.

I loved Vandy when I visited.... but they only gave me $10k.... I have to take out an additional $10k for childcare loans, so basically I would be paying full sticker price at Vandy and come out with around $200k in debt.

If I was single with no children, I would be at Vandy in a heartbeat...or hope to get off the WL at Columbia and head to NY :). But I honestly think that when you have kids, there are so many unknowns in the future that I have to take into account. I want my kids to go to good schools and have a good quality of life... that's going to be hard to do with $200k in debt and I feel even more pressure to make sure to get a high paying job when I graduate in biglaw.... but my heart is in public interest. ANd what if one of my children became ill and it was necessary for me to work only PT... or some other unexpected life event? SO many things to consider. And also, I'm trying ot be realistic here... to graduate top of your class at a highly ranked school requires A LOT of time... time I may not have while raising 2 children. But I don't know... I will find out. But the last thing I need to happen is to graduate bottom of my class at Vandy... or anywhere... that won't look good to any employer.

I think for me I have to go where the money is, even if it isn't my top 20 dream school. Hey, at least I'm GOING to law school and for me, with everything I've been through, that's a success story in itself :). And Iowa is still ranked 26th!


What do you think? Am I way off base?


I think your logic is sound. Not everyone can afford to take the risk of high loans and honestly the financial health of your family must come first. I don't think anyone should fault you if you decide on Iowa with a large scholarship over Vandy in your circumstances. Did Dean Byrd have any inclination when you might know your financial package?




24-48 hours

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby webbylu87 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 am

Just out of curiosity, did Iowa ever get back to you?

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:57 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Just out of curiosity, did Iowa ever get back to you?



Yes... In! Good luck to everyone :).

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby MoS » Sun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Any aid money?

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Iowa WL-- Response from Admissions

Postby krj02004 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:44 pm

MoS wrote:Any aid money?



They said it's in the mail... so waiting to review the package. Hopefully it's substantial.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, Assasindowntheavenue, at593, BrainsyK, Dcc617, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Houzy, Kaziende, Keilz, Kungfu Wontons, LawSchoolTitan, mav1993, mccracal, okf731, proteinshake, Smc1994, SweetTort, The_Pluviophile, Yahoo [Bot] and 29 guests