Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 pm

I paid my first deposit at Emory and it was hard to turn down their generous scholarship offer, but I'd really prefer to be in DC.

Has anyone heard about people getting off the GWU waitlist, and know of any numbers?

rockstar4488
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby rockstar4488 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 am

170/3.0 PT, still waiting!

sk08
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby sk08 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 am

kathyo894 wrote:I paid my first deposit at Emory and it was hard to turn down their generous scholarship offer, but I'd really prefer to be in DC.

Has anyone heard about people getting off the GWU waitlist, and know of any numbers?



on the waitlist as well. spoke with admissions office yesterday and they have no update on the waitlist. deposits did not have to be postmarked until May 1 so they will be rolling in all week. [strike]I think next week at the earliest there may be movement...[/strike]

Edited: Just received e-mail from Dean Richard - they will not know how they stand with the waitlist until May 15.
Last edited by sk08 on Tue May 04, 2010 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 am

sk08 wrote:
on the waitlist as well. spoke with admissions office yesterday and they have no update on the waitlist. deposits did not have to be postmarked until May 1 so they will be rolling in all week. I think next week at the earliest there may be movement...


Thanks - that is helpful. And for the record I'm 166 LSAT/3.4 GPA at an Ivy (don't know if that means anything)

sk08
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby sk08 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 am

kathyo894 wrote:
sk08 wrote:
on the waitlist as well. spoke with admissions office yesterday and they have no update on the waitlist. deposits did not have to be postmarked until May 1 so they will be rolling in all week. I think next week at the earliest there may be movement...


Thanks - that is helpful. And for the record I'm 166 LSAT/3.4 GPA at an Ivy (don't know if that means anything)



are you FT or PT? I'm on waitlist for PT

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 am

sk08 wrote:
are you FT or PT? I'm on waitlist for PT


Full time. I wouldn't go to GWU part time when I can go to Emory practically for free full time.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby stayway » Tue May 04, 2010 1:12 pm

kathyo894 wrote:
sk08 wrote:
are you FT or PT? I'm on waitlist for PT


Full time. I wouldn't go to GWU part time when I can go to Emory practically for free full time.


if you can go to emory almost for free why the hell are you on the waitlist?

go to emory!

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 pm

I got an update email from GW today. Dean Richard writes:

" 2. Our wait list is large. It is impossible for me to tell you exactly how large because it is a "moving target." Each day some wait-listed candidates ask to be withdrawn from the list. I can tell you that currently there are more than 450 applicants on our wait list."

At least she does say that all admitted students from the waitlist will be able to apply for need-based financial aid (3k-15k per year).

and I think that being in DC offers a lot more government internship, clerkship opportunities than Atlanta
Last edited by kathyo894 on Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby stayway » Tue May 04, 2010 2:01 pm

maybe its just me but i'm surprised at how much people are willing to suffer for their relationships. so you would choose $100k+ debt for your boyfriend?

aulburch
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby aulburch » Thu May 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Did everyone on the waitlist get this email from Dean Richard? I e-mailed them and this was the response to my question, so I'm not sure if this was an autoreply, a mass email to the whole waitlist or a message to a sub-set of the waitlist.

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 pm

aulburch wrote:Did everyone on the waitlist get this email from Dean Richard? I e-mailed them and this was the response to my question, so I'm not sure if this was an autoreply, a mass email to the whole waitlist or a message to a sub-set of the waitlist.


Did she say anything besides the "update on the waitlist" information? Or respond specifically to your question?

Also - I got an email yesterday that their office is closing this Friday at 2:45.

aulburch
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby aulburch » Thu May 06, 2010 12:12 pm

I emailed about the waitlist and this was the same response I received.

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

aulburch wrote:I emailed about the waitlist and this was the same response I received.


ah...well that makes sense. It was a pretty detailed response.

aulburch
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby aulburch » Fri May 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Admitted from the waitlist this morning! So excited! Good luck to the rest of you on the waitlist!

sk08
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby sk08 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm

congrats!
but i was looking forward to not worrying until May 15 :(

how were you notified? are you FT or PT?

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby stayway » Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 am

aulburch wrote:Admitted from the waitlist this morning! So excited! Good luck to the rest of you on the waitlist!


what were your numbers? omg.

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am

I got an email yesterday from Dean Richards that they are reviewing applications from the waitlist this week, and if you are chosen off the waitlist you will be notified by phone or email plus sent the official admittance package (probably if you indicate acceptance over the phone/email).

So - good luck everyone. At least it will be nice to not have to worry one way or the other after this week.

Cognoscenti
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby Cognoscenti » Tue May 11, 2010 6:12 pm

kathyo894 wrote:I got an email yesterday from Dean Richards that they are reviewing applications from the waitlist this week, and if you are chosen off the waitlist you will be notified by phone or email plus sent the official admittance package (probably if you indicate acceptance over the phone/email).

So - good luck everyone. At least it will be nice to not have to worry one way or the other after this week.


...unless we don't hear this week...then the worrying will continue until the next round of acceptances...

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 pm

[quote=
...unless we don't hear this week...then the worrying will continue until the next round of acceptances...[/quote]


I actually got the impression that they don't have all that many spots open, so this round of acceptances will fill the class....that was just my impression, though - I could be wrong.

Mocker21
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby Mocker21 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:44 pm

kathyo894 wrote:I actually got the impression that they don't have all that many spots open, so this round of acceptances will fill the class....that was just my impression, though - I could be wrong.


I got the exact opposite impression -- when it said "a limited number of offers", to me that just meant "a preliminary round of offers." And, if you look at previous years, there are always a couple of May offers, and then a whole lot of late June offers after the second seat deposits are in.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby SummerLaw » Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 am

Also on the GW WL for PT here

I got the exact opposite impression -- when it said "a limited number of offers", to me that just meant "a preliminary round of offers." And, if you look at previous years, there are always a couple of May offers, and then a whole lot of late June offers after the second seat deposits are in.[/quote]

Didn't know that about June - that is good news! Thanks!

sk08
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby sk08 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 am

SummerLaw wrote:Also on the GW WL for PT here

I got the exact opposite impression -- when it said "a limited number of offers", to me that just meant "a preliminary round of offers." And, if you look at previous years, there are always a couple of May offers, and then a whole lot of late June offers after the second seat deposits are in.


Didn't know that about June - that is good news! Thanks![/quote]

I think the point is that the waiting game is not over at the end of this week. They have a second seat deposit, people could defer, get jobs, etc. All schools will keep waiting lists till the end b/c there simply is no way of telling what will happen and their budget is contingent on so many people being enrolled. So even his/her point about June is not static - people could get in in July and August as well.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby SummerLaw » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 am

sk08 wrote:
SummerLaw wrote:Also on the GW WL for PT here

I got the exact opposite impression -- when it said "a limited number of offers", to me that just meant "a preliminary round of offers." And, if you look at previous years, there are always a couple of May offers, and then a whole lot of late June offers after the second seat deposits are in.


Didn't know that about June - that is good news! Thanks!


I think the point is that the waiting game is not over at the end of this week. They have a second seat deposit, people could defer, get jobs, etc. All schools will keep waiting lists till the end b/c there simply is no way of telling what will happen and their budget is contingent on so many people being enrolled. So even his/her point about June is not static - people could get in in July and August as well.[/quote]

Yeah that is true - I am pleased to know that empirically this has happened. I was under the impression that they only took about 3-5 people off the WL last year and it was around this time... so just stretching out the time frame for an acceptance is good news.

kathyo894
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Anyone off the GWU waitlist? Wanna share numbers?

Postby kathyo894 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Just to keep everything up to date, I got an email today from Dean Richards stating that they "admitted a limited number of wait-listed candidates this week...[but] anticipate that [they] will be making some additional offers in the upcoming weeks." So I guess those who posted before me were correct, but I called her up and she said that June 15th is the second deposit day which will signal another round of waitlist offers. I doubt that I'll be sticking around for that...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests