Duke Waitlist 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
madcherrylimas
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby madcherrylimas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:33 am

Same here. Sent it in on the weekend and got the letter yesterday.. Kind of really excited now - even excited about the year off, though I wasn't at first...

I was torn between the scholarship at UCI or Duke and didn't know which would be better for the public service career I have in mind, though in the end the lawyers at the office I intern at convinced me. Everyone was pulling for Duke. It's hitting me how amazing this is, and how many options this opens up, and what an experience going to a school like that will be (not to mention just living in the South.. it's almost like studying abroad in an English-speaking country, it sounds so different from California)... I feel a bit awed.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:46 am

madcherrylimas wrote:Same here. Sent it in on the weekend and got the letter yesterday.. Kind of really excited now - even excited about the year off, though I wasn't at first...

I was torn between the scholarship at UCI or Duke and didn't know which would be better for the public service career I have in mind, though in the end the lawyers at the office I intern at convinced me. Everyone was pulling for Duke. It's hitting me how amazing this is, and how many options this opens up, and what an experience going to a school like that will be (not to mention just living in the South.. it's almost like studying abroad in an English-speaking country, it sounds so different from California)... I feel a bit awed.


Wow, congratulations to you too!! You are going to have an amazing time at Duke and, as you said, have so many opportunities available to you with your hard work and great legal education. I really really hope I will be joining you next year, but either way...CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN! :)

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby PDaddy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:55 am

This is a good opportunity. Duke is not my first choice, but I got the offer too. I'm mulling it over until the last minute. I think this is going to be the new trend...stockpiling talent from WL's for the following year's class(es). This way, fewer people get hurt, and more people get what they want. It also gives more people a chance to get additional work experience, earn money to pay for school, take law prep programs, etc. It's a wonder schools haven't been doing this for years as a matter of practice. This creates a different kind of competition between schools, but it's a good idea. It greatly increases the likelihood that repeatedly WL'd applicants at elite programs have a better shot at getting into those programs.

night06
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby night06 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 am

Congrats, guys! That's an amazing turnaround time.

Like PDaddy, I'll also be mulling this over until the last minute. I'd be giving up another T14 if I take the offer, so it's not an easy choice.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 am

night06 wrote:Congrats, guys! That's an amazing turnaround time.

Like PDaddy, I'll also be mulling this over until the last minute. I'd be giving up another T14 if I take the offer, so it's not an easy choice.


Wow, that is a tough choice. Is there any scholly $ in place? donno how I'd make the choice if I were in your shoes (although, Duke has always been my dream school so I guess that changes things a bit) but good luckkk and let us know what you decide!

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby paralegal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 pm

jj55 wrote:I'm having a hell of a time deciding between this ED offer and Fordham. I eventually want to work in New York, and was thrilled at the idea of being there starting next month (Durham is hard to get excited about), but Duke may be the more logical choice in the long run. My goal is a firm job with enough of a salary to cover loan payments (sticker at either) and the cost of living in New York, so while I don't require V10, I need to at least be able to make a decent salary (ideally "market" salary, but somewhat less is ok). I also have some personal reasons for favoring New York for the next few years. Any thoughts? Is Duke that much better for NYC than Fordham?


Duke’s major US market is NYC with a close second DC. Each year, generous numbers of Duke grads place into the most reputable and prestigious Vault firms in NYC. Certainly, Fordham grads place into Vault NYC firms; however, the percentages are dramatically different. For example, yesterday on a TLS Employment Forum, a Fordham Law student said that the top 25% of the class had a shot at V100 and no shot at V50. In comparison, here are the summer employment stats for the Duke Class of 2011:

V10: 11%, V20: 18%, V50: 31%, V100: 39%
62-65% of the class got SA positions at firms

These percentages include all major legal markets, as did Fordham’s percentage mentioned above; however, they do illustrate my point nicely.

You will have to academically place MUCH higher in your class at Fordham to have the same employment opportunities as having academically placed in the top 25% at Duke, top 1% at Fordham for V10….Yikes….

You’re going to pay sticker at Fordham or sticker at Duke, and you state your “goal is a firm job with enough of a salary that will cover your loan payments”…..Duke stats clearly speak for themselves….. “hands down” Duke is the better choice…..

Fordham ranked 34 with almost 400 students per class; Duke ranked 11 with 200 students per class.
Last edited by paralegal on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm

just got off the phone with an admissions officer. apparently the response to this offer has been overwhelming given that it's the first year they do this and didn't know what to expect. I was told there's only a limited spots that they can fill with this offer, so it doesn't sound as promising as we initially thought on this thread.

so congrats to those already in! and good luck to those waiting!

nightngale
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby nightngale » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:03 pm

-
Last edited by nightngale on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:22 pm

nightngale wrote:I faxed my form yesterday thinking I had nothing to lose, since I was still waitlisted at Northwestern, UCLA, and USC.
I received my acceptance to Duke this morning!! Then, with my luck, UCLA calls me an hour later and tells me I'm admitted for Fall 2010.

I don't know what to do!! I have lived in Southern California all my life, so a new experience was really important to me, but I also want to find employment in California after graduation. Thoughts?


whoa, crazy, congratulations! as tough as that decision is, it's a great position to be in.

did duke call you or did you get an email? and wait, is duke even giving you an option not to accept their offer? since it's a binding ED contract, don't you HAVE to accept?

nightngale
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby nightngale » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 pm

-
Last edited by nightngale on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 pm

peeker82 wrote:just got off the phone with an admissions officer. apparently the response to this offer has been overwhelming given that it's the first year they do this and didn't know what to expect. I was told there's only a limited spots that they can fill with this offer, so it doesn't sound as promising as we initially thought on this thread.

so congrats to those already in! and good luck to those waiting!


I won't lie and say my heart didn't sink reading that. But I'm very excited for all of you who have already gotten in and I'm praying that somehow I'll be able to join you.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 pm

nightngale wrote:Duke sent me an email this morning. It is an ED, but I'm not quite sure what would happen if I did not accept it. People I've known in the past have backed out of ED contracts, but I don't know the reasons. The form says they have the right to inform other schools that I enrolled in Duke. UCLA is already aware of that fact. Now I just need to decide!!! My problem is UCLA is just a 45 minute drive away, whereas I probably won't get a chance to visit Duke anytime soon. If anyone has any sort of perspectives on the two schools, I would really appreciate it.


Not sure of the actual consequences should you attempt to not attend, but I'm pretty sure the situation is serious. You signed a contract with that early decision certification form and I can't imagine it would go over well to not attend. Honestly not sure, but that's what I was thinking. Also, I know you weren't expecting to find out the UCLA waitlist, but when you signed an ED contract you agreed to withdraw from others if admitted and thus that Duke was your absolute first choice for law school. I'm sure others will know more than I do about this situation but that's just what I would assume. Good luck with this and your decision :)

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby paralegal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

nightngale wrote:I faxed my form yesterday thinking I had nothing to lose, since I was still waitlisted at Northwestern, UCLA, and USC.
I received my acceptance to Duke this morning!! Then, with my luck, UCLA calls me an hour later and tells me I'm admitted for Fall 2010.

I don't know what to do!! I have lived in Southern California all my life, so a new experience was really important to me, but I also want to find employment in California after graduation. Thoughts?


Congratulations....

I work at a top Vault 20 biglaw firm with offices all over the US and international offices as well. I'm at one of the CA offices. Duke is highly regarded here, and we have several partners and associates from Duke. Plus, it's not a regional school; it has a national reputation, even international. This CA V20 biglaw firm hires deeper into Duke's graduating class than UCLA's.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Congrats to everybody who got in so far. It has to feel great that the suspense is over.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Congrats to everybody who got in so far. It has to feel great that the suspense is over.

This. I didn't apply to Duke, but this whole WL-ED thing seems like a brilliant idea. I wish more schools would do that. :?

madcherrylimas
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby madcherrylimas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:08 am

peeker82 wrote:just got off the phone with an admissions officer. apparently the response to this offer has been overwhelming given that it's the first year they do this and didn't know what to expect. I was told there's only a limited spots that they can fill with this offer, so it doesn't sound as promising as we initially thought on this thread.


oh man.. good luck

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby sternc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:10 pm

I decided to stick with my home state's school, Texas, after lots of going back and forth. Good luck to everyone that is faxing in the agreement.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:33 pm

sternc wrote:I decided to stick with my home state's school, Texas, after lots of going back and forth. Good luck to everyone that is faxing in the agreement.


cant really go wrong there, congrats on your decision! cycle over then? that's gotta be a good feeling...

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:46 pm

peeker82 wrote:
sternc wrote:I decided to stick with my home state's school, Texas, after lots of going back and forth. Good luck to everyone that is faxing in the agreement.


cant really go wrong there, congrats on your decision! cycle over then? that's gotta be a good feeling...



ditto :) congrats! enjoy texas!

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby sternc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 pm

My cycle was over until this whole Duke thing came out of nowhere and made the past week pretty interesting. It is officially over now, as I will be withdrawing from Duke's wait-list. Good luck to all.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm

any more offers? rejections from this ED waitlist??

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm

peeker82 wrote:any more offers? rejections from this ED waitlist??


no news here yet...7 more days to go :?

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby dukelawguy144 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Duke accepted so many people this year. They allowed me defer for a year with my scholarship offer so they could fit in the people they accepted and are enrolling and the people on the waitlist. Good luck guys. I think they are inviting many of you to apply ED next year, if so, I hope to see you the following year when I start

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:42 pm

for the lucky accepted ones:

were you guys PR wait list or the regular one prior to this offer? Just curious who they've been taking so far :)

fallofrome213
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby fallofrome213 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:46 am

terpette wrote:for the lucky accepted ones:

were you guys PR wait list or the regular one prior to this offer? Just curious who they've been taking so far :)



i applied relatively late (mid january) and didnt hear about being put on the waitlist until around March 20th. the waitlist email said nothing about priority reserve.

hope that helps!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests