Duke Waitlist 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby terpette » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:56 pm

nesnejnes06 wrote:im going to call. for those of us that were admitted: what are you all doing with your year? i'm having enormous trouble finding work that does not require a two year commitment or significant previous legal experience--i've only been a "paralegal intern"--but will still give me a leg up later in my legal career. do you all recommend administrative jobs? is it worth my time to do secretarial work at a top law firm, or will i just end up overworked, underpaid, and unhappy?

aghhhh. maybe i should just work at a coffee shop?!


I would give anything to be in your position, just sayin'. haha but congratulations, and please lie to us rejects if they tell you they admitted 90% of those who submitted the ED certification ;)

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 pm

nesnejnes06 wrote:im going to call. for those of us that were admitted: what are you all doing with your year? i'm having enormous trouble finding work that does not require a two year commitment or significant previous legal experience--i've only been a "paralegal intern"--but will still give me a leg up later in my legal career. do you all recommend administrative jobs? is it worth my time to do secretarial work at a top law firm, or will i just end up overworked, underpaid, and unhappy?

aghhhh. maybe i should just work at a coffee shop?!



i actually got incredibly lucky. they day we got that ED email offer was the last day to apply for an opening at my company's legal department, so i applied immediately just in case i got the duke offer. both came thru for me within a day of each other.

honestly, at this point, you're admitted, doesn't really matter what you do this year IMO. most definitely do not get overworked, you'll have plenty of time for that at duke :D

If you call, let us know what they say!

fallofrome213
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby fallofrome213 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:23 pm

agreed.

congrats to fellow c/o '14ers. so sorry to hear about the disappointment for others though, that really sucks. nonetheless im sure everyone has great schools lined up!

im also curious as to how much demand there was for this offer, how many people were admitted, the rationale behind making the offer, etc.

nesnejnes06 please fill us in if you end up making that call.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby MURPH » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 pm

The data from LSN shows that Duke is dropping students with GPAs less then their median. They are dropping people without regard to LSAT score since about half the people dropped are above the median and half below. Only one WL-->rejection student had a GPA above the median. The one person accepted was probably accepted ED for next cycle.

jj55 170 3.41 WL, Accepted ED A 6 days
wildpitch20 169 3.5 WL, Rejected 25 days
Goozer 163 3.98 WL, Rejected 1 month
michan17 169 3.5 WL, Rejected 5 days
2010LSApplicant 169 3.51 WL, Rejected 1 month
barrinmb 175 3.21 WL, Rejected 29 days
lulumae URM 161 3.3 WL, Rejected 30 days
JKS 169 3.48 WL, Rejected 16 days

75th GPA: 3.85 75th LSAT: 169
Median GPA: 3.78 Median LSAT: 168
25th GPA: 3.66 25th LSAT: 165

jj55
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby jj55 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:26 am

MURPH wrote:The data from LSN shows that Duke is dropping students with GPAs less then their median. They are dropping people without regard to LSAT score since about half the people dropped are above the median and half below. Only one WL-->rejection student had a GPA above the median. The one person accepted was probably accepted ED for next cycle.

jj55 170 3.41 WL, Accepted ED A 6 days
wildpitch20 169 3.5 WL, Rejected 25 days
Goozer 163 3.98 WL, Rejected 1 month
michan17 169 3.5 WL, Rejected 5 days
2010LSApplicant 169 3.51 WL, Rejected 1 month
barrinmb 175 3.21 WL, Rejected 29 days
lulumae URM 161 3.3 WL, Rejected 30 days
JKS 169 3.48 WL, Rejected 16 days

75th GPA: 3.85 75th LSAT: 169
Median GPA: 3.78 Median LSAT: 168
25th GPA: 3.66 25th LSAT: 165


Correct, my acceptance is ED for next cycle.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 pm

was there really no one else out there? it seems only about 5 of us here on TLS got in thru the 2014-ED offer.

nesnejnes06 did you ever make that call??

ptacs72
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby ptacs72 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:13 pm

i also got in via this process. i was traveling in europe at the time and just got back, i also have no idea what i'm going to do for the year. i'm thinking about going to teach english in china or moving to australia. but yeah, i had already quit my job, sublet my apartment etc when i found out. so, as exciting as it is to go to duke i have a lot to figure out.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby peeker82 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 pm

ptacs72 wrote:i also got in via this process. i was traveling in europe at the time and just got back, i also have no idea what i'm going to do for the year. i'm thinking about going to teach english in china or moving to australia. but yeah, i had already quit my job, sublet my apartment etc when i found out. so, as exciting as it is to go to duke i have a lot to figure out.



oh man, well, first, congrats! second, good luck figuring out your year!

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby legalease9 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Now that classes have started, anyone heard anything on the waitlist?

anonym1202
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby anonym1202 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:35 pm

classes started at duke? hmm...i just checked my status checker still waitlist since april. i'm starting at gwu this year although I got the duke email about next year but weird that they haven't released their waitlist groups

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby legalease9 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Yep, their orientation at least.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby legalease9 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Well, its over. No one got admitted from the waitlist, at least that's what they said in the email.

MsWilliams
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby MsWilliams » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 pm

noo thats not true they took someone off of the GWU list last week

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Postby androstan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:56 pm

The thing about GPA and LSAT. Sure, LSAT is a curved exam so there are only ~2600 LSATs above 170 each year. There are ~3000 seats in the top 10. So yes schools like Duke are interested in locking in those 170/1/2's early on. There can theoretically be any number of 3.8 GPA's. I don't KNOW if there are more 3.8's than 170's, but my guess is that there are.

But later on, off the waitlist, a school more or less knows its lineup and has locked in a fair number of LSATs at their target median. Taking a low LSAT at this point just moves the median from one person with a 170 LSAT to the next person with a 170 LSAT. Taking a low GPA at this point, however, can easily cost them a few hundredths of a GPA point. That's a small but tangible difference and this environment is insanely competitive. So it seems unlikely to get in off the WL by virtue of your LSAT.

Unfortunately LSATs are very discrete whereas GPAs are more continuous. So, although good GPA's are more plentiful, a school has to carefully consider taking someone with a GPA under their target median, because the admitted person at the median GPA and the person under him/her probably don't have identical GPAs. Unlike with the LSAT, where the median person and the next person probably have the same score anyway.

So splitters probably only get in off the WL in a strange scenario where the school's current median LSAT is only a few notches below someone with a higher LSAT. In this case taking a few people off the WL can be a big win for the school.

The reverse strategy, to ED in splitters early is riskier because you don't know what your pool is going to look like or who is going to withdraw. Still, it's an opportunity to lock in several people above your LSAT median, which lets you game your GPA by taking reverse splitters in RD. Still, seems very risky, and since admissions keep getting ever more competitive, people with low GPA/high lsat are going to be competing directly with people who have med GPA/high lsat.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, Baby Gaga, bleakchimera2, carasrook, carlos_danger, ChodeAnalBead, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino, Lawl_Schoolz, masterz, mse2020, Nickel94, potterotter, zot1 and 41 guests