Duke Waitlist 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
terpette

Bronze

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Post by terpette » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:17 pm

fallofrome213 wrote:
terpette wrote:for the lucky accepted ones:

were you guys PR wait list or the regular one prior to this offer? Just curious who they've been taking so far :)

i applied relatively late (mid january) and didnt hear about being put on the waitlist until around March 20th. the waitlist email said nothing about priority reserve.

hope that helps!
thanks! :) I wasn't PR either, I was just curious if those were the people that had done the ED that Duke was taking first. But I guess not necessarily :)

nesnejnes06

New

Post by nesnejnes06 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:04 pm

In as of this morning. I sent in my form on Thursday.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:23 pm

nesnejnes06 wrote:In as of this morning. I sent in my form on Thursday.
Wow! Congrats! (would you mind PMing your stats?) Things aren't looking so great for me then...I submitted mine before that and haven't heard anything yet. :cry:

Congratulations again!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:28 pm

terpette wrote:
Wow! Congrats! (would you mind PMing your stats?) Things aren't looking so great for me then...I submitted mine before that and haven't heard anything yet. :cry:

Congratulations again!
ditto on congrats and numbers please?

and wait, they're working on saturday?

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm

peeker82 wrote:
terpette wrote:

Congratulations again!
ditto on congrats and numbers please?

and wait, they're working on saturday?
I guess they're busy with these applications and someone said they got more than they expected so in order to meet that 7/16 deadline, they may have to do weekends too

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

You're absolutely right that they decided to work weekends. I got my email yesterday (Sunday) late afternoon and I'm IN! Couldn't be happier. On top of that got a new job within my own company for the next year, so i don't have to worry about anything else until orientation in 2011. woooohooooo!

Best of luck to the rest of you that sent this form in!

EDIT: by the way, I was on PR and sent in my form Thursday.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm

peeker82 wrote:You're absolutely right that they decided to work weekends. I got my email yesterday (Sunday) late afternoon and I'm IN! Couldn't be happier. On top of that got a new job within my own company for the next year, so i don't have to worry about anything else until orientation in 2011. woooohooooo!

Wow! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! And Sunday? Wow, I feel bad for Dean Hoye and his crew :(

I'm starting to lose the little hope I had...I submitted Wednesday and haven't heard a peep...praying for a miracle :(

chadxviii

New

Post by chadxviii » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:40 pm

this is interesting. does anyone else find it slightly insensitive to offer this option to people and then potentially reject them 2 weeks later anyhow?

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:54 pm

chadxviii wrote:this is interesting. does anyone else find it slightly insensitive to offer this option to people and then potentially reject them 2 weeks later anyhow?
Sorry, but I don't really follow your line of thinking....this is an "opportunity" for an acceptance not a guarantee....that's how the law school admissions process works...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

peeker82 wrote:You're absolutely right that they decided to work weekends. I got my email yesterday (Sunday) late afternoon and I'm IN! Couldn't be happier. On top of that got a new job within my own company for the next year, so i don't have to worry about anything else until orientation in 2011. woooohooooo!

Congratulations....you are in a win - win situation......Duke and a deferral....OCI in 24 months instead of 12 months...

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:16 pm

terpette wrote:

Wow! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! And Sunday? Wow, I feel bad for Dean Hoye and his crew :(

I'm starting to lose the little hope I had...I submitted Wednesday and haven't heard a peep...praying for a miracle :(

THANKS!!

yea, sunday, and during the world cup final, so i'm sure they were plugging away, not watching, haha.

don't lose hope yet, still got 5 days, hang in there!!

chadxviii

New

Post by chadxviii » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:23 pm

paralegal wrote:
chadxviii wrote:this is interesting. does anyone else find it slightly insensitive to offer this option to people and then potentially reject them 2 weeks later anyhow?
Sorry, but I don't really follow your line of thinking....this is an "opportunity" for an acceptance not a guarantee....that's how the law school admissions process works...
i dunno it just seems they would have rejected people two weeks ago thats all. instead of saying "we'll look at your app again before all other 2011 apps...oh damn you weren't good enough to get in anyway...sorry about that." it just seems like weird process to me.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:56 pm

chadxviii wrote:i dunno it just seems they would have rejected people two weeks ago thats all. instead of saying "we'll look at your app again before all other 2011 apps...oh damn you weren't good enough to get in anyway...sorry about that." it just seems like weird process to me.
From what I've heard, 2009-2010 cycle for Duke was by far their most competitive, and they received a record-breaking number of applications, over 8,000. I've mentioned this on other TLS threads and posters have responded that all of the T14s have received an increase in applications, which is true. However, in comparison to other T14s such as Penn and Berkeley (to name a few) where there has been waitlist movement, Duke has not accepted anyone off of their waitlist...

It's my understanding that the waitlisters offered this opportunity to defer to 2011 are strong applicants and had expressed that Duke was their first choice..... And once again, Duke received an overwhelming response to this opportunity....

Duke is an underrepresented minority on TLS.... but in the real world, Duke is highly regarded.... and the facts speak for themselves... 2009-2010 was a really competitive cycle....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fallofrome213

New

Post by fallofrome213 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:43 pm

chadxviii wrote:i dunno it just seems they would have rejected people two weeks ago thats all. instead of saying "we'll look at your app again before all other 2011 apps...oh damn you weren't good enough to get in anyway...sorry about that." it just seems like weird process to me.
the way that i see it, is that duke cut a bunch of people from their waitlist, leaving them with a handful of strong candidates. then, to those candidates, they offered this 2011 ED proposal. They can obviously only take a certain amount of people from the handful that were offered this opportunity. In order to figure out who would get accepted for next year, they had to wait and see what the response to this opportunity was. Since, as someone stated earlier in the thread, the response was more than they expected, the remaining handful given this ED opportunity essentially has to then compete with each other for the few spots allocated. So I guess from Duke's perspective, they arent just stringing people along just to reject them two weeks later, they legitimately want to narrow the pool down from people given the offer>>people who accept the offer>>to the most appealing applicants that competed with the other applicants and get a spot for next year. They have to first wait for the response to this offer, THEN decide out of the people who accept the offer who makes the final cut, since it's hard to say in the beginning without first having a clear look at the 2011 ED applicant pool.

to me it makes sense. my apologies if i didnt explain myself well enough, though haha

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 pm

This is almost making me regret telling Duke 'thanks but no thanks' for the 2014 ED offer. Hmm.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:03 am

T14 - October Term 2010 Supreme Court Clerk Hires (as of July 7, 2010):

Yale: 8

Harvard: 7

Duke: 3

UVA: 3

Michigan: 2

Stanford: 1

Columbia: 1

Chicago: 1

NYU: 1

Northwestern: 1

Cornell: 1

Berkeley: 0

Penn: 0

Georgetown: 0

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm

anyone hear anything today?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

heyyyyyyyyy

New

Post by heyyyyyyyyy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Did anyone who is taking this originally apply for any of the summer start joint programs?

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 pm

I guess some things just aren't meant to be.

Just got rejected from the ED opportunity via email. Not shocked but still disappointed.

:cry:

night06

New

Post by night06 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:05 pm

terpette wrote:I guess some things just aren't meant to be.

Just got rejected from the ED opportunity via email. Not shocked but still disappointed.

Same here. But I sent my form in late, so I had already assumed my chances were low. Oh well.

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:12 pm

night06 wrote:

Same here. But I sent my form in late, so I had already assumed my chances were low. Oh well.
oh wow, so sorry to hear that guys. what's their excuse this time, too many people took the offer? and what happens to you guys now? do you stay on the current waitlist for this fall or are you now considered rejected? i'm just curious how this all went down.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 pm

peeker82 wrote:
night06 wrote:

oh wow, so sorry to hear that guys. what's their excuse this time, too many people took the offer? and what happens to you guys now? do you stay on the current waitlist for this fall or are you now considered rejected? i'm just curious how this all went down.
Basically that, just like the regular admissions cycle, they received an overwhelming response from the offer. From the text of the e-mail it seems as though we may still be considered for this fall if seats become available, although, from the sounds of things, that probably won't happen. Plus, by that point I'm sure I'd be locked into a 12-month lease anyway. Oh well :cry:

nesnejnes06

New

Post by nesnejnes06 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 pm

nobody got anything today? really?

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:27 pm

nesnejnes06 wrote:nobody got anything today? really?
i wonder how many were admitted through this WL-ED offer. doesn't look like many. has anyone asked?

nesnejnes06

New

Post by nesnejnes06 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:32 pm

im going to call. for those of us that were admitted: what are you all doing with your year? i'm having enormous trouble finding work that does not require a two year commitment or significant previous legal experience--i've only been a "paralegal intern"--but will still give me a leg up later in my legal career. do you all recommend administrative jobs? is it worth my time to do secretarial work at a top law firm, or will i just end up overworked, underpaid, and unhappy?

aghhhh. maybe i should just work at a coffee shop?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”