Duke Waitlist 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
macunaima

New

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Post by macunaima » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Kicked off the waitlist today. :(

But they assure me that they were very impressed with my application. :?

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:35 pm

macunaima wrote:Kicked off the waitlist today. :(

oh nooo, i'm so sorry macunaima. did you send LOCI's??

do you know where you're going now??

i guess that means we can some movement now??

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:41 pm

actually, just found this post on the Duke Waitlist website updated today:

Fall-starting JD
Our deadline for tuition deposits for the fall term has passed and the class is currently full. Since it appears that will only be able to make a limited number of additional offers of admission, we have begun to release people from our waitlist. (Notification is sent by e-mail.) We expect to provide an update to those who remain on the waitlist by the end of June. We will continue to monitor the class closely; seats may become available at any time before the mandatory orientation program starts on August 16. (updated June 17)

not looking good guys, but good luck to everyone!

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Oh nooo...I'm so sorry :(

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:17 pm

I got the same email. :(

Oh well, I've already put down a deposit at Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 pm

peeker82 wrote:

oh nooo, i'm so sorry macunaima. did you send LOCI's??

do you know where you're going now??

i guess that means we can some movement now??
I'm (probably) going to UT Austin. I'm sure I'll be happy there, but I would've preferred Duke. Still, I'm on the waitlist at Columbia, Harvard and NYU but those (obviously) don't look too promising.

No, I didn't send a LOCI since I didn't have anything new to report. Though now I'm thinking that simply reiterating my interest couldn't have hurt. Oh well.

rjfried

New

Post by rjfried » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm

I also got the same email today but I did send a LOCI. Oh well. Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 am

I sent my LOCI yesterday. When I got dumped from the waitlist this morning I checked my sent box to make sure I didn't do anything stupid like sent the Penn LOCI to Duke. I double checked for spelling and grammar errors... anything to explain why they would dump me after reading my LOCI. Good thing I came here and found out I wasn't the only one to get that letter today. At least it was nothing personal, I just got dumped along with everyone else.

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 pm

any more movement recently??? losing hope....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jeeli

New

Post by jeeli » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 am

for the people who got rejected from the waitlist, did your status checker change?

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:11 pm

and has anybody been admitted from the WL yet??? has anyone heard of recent offers?

aulburch

New

Post by aulburch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:54 pm

peeker82 wrote:and has anybody been admitted from the WL yet??? has anyone heard of recent offers?
Summer start was overenrolled and the fall class is still overenrolled by at least 30 students (240ish for a target class of 205); heard they are likely to drop most of the remaining WL in July with no offers at all...

MeredithGrey

New

Post by MeredithGrey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:30 am

Just got the below email. Works out perfect for my situation. Good thing I didn't tell them I really wanted to try my luck deferring with them if offered a position off their waitlist (and could have been subsequently booted off the waitlist for wanting a deferral)

Dear *******,

I am writing to update you on the status of the Duke Law waitlist for this fall's incoming class. Since our tuition deposit deadline at the end of April, the class has been completely full. Although a few people have requested deferrals or otherwise changed their plans for the fall, we have not yet been able to make any additional offers of admission. It's hard to predict what will happen in the coming weeks, but it appears that we may be able to admit only a few people between now and the start of our fall classes.

Accordingly, we have recently released a large number of people from our waitlist, and you are among the smaller group remaining under consideration for any openings in this fall's class. We will move quickly to fill any spots that become available, so please be sure that we know how to contact you if the need arises.

This has been an unusual year in many respects. The quality and size of our applicant pool (up nearly 25% over last year) was unprecedented, and we waitlisted many strong candidates in the hope that we would be able to admit some of them. Because of the surprisingly strong response to our initial offers of admission, we have been unable to do so.

Because the chances are slim that we will be able to make any additional offers of admission for 2010, we'd like to offer another option for you to consider. That you have remained on our waitlist to this point suggests that you have a strong interest in attending Duke Law. If Duke is your unequivocal top choice, you may convert your current application to a binding Early Decision application for 2011 by submitting this form: http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/downloads ... cation.pdf. If you do so by July 9, you will receive a decision on your 2011 application by July 16. (You may submit the Early Decision form after July 9, but the decision will be made later in the summer.)

The usual caveats of Early Decision application apply: This is only appropriate if Duke is clearly your first choice of law school and you don't anticipate the need to compare offers of financial aid from other schools. If admitted, you must immediately withdraw all your applications with other law schools for fall 2010, and refrain from submitting additional applications for 2011.

Obviously, this option is not suitable for everyone, especially if you are not prepared to delay your law school matriculation for a year. However, given the unusual nature of this year's admission cycle, we hope that offering another opportunity to consider will be helpful to some of our applicants.

If you'd like to be considered as an Early Decision applicant for 2011, please submit the form (http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/downloads ... cation.pdf) to us by e-mail or fax. You don't need to take any specific action if you wish to remain in consideration for fall 2010, though we continue to welcome any updates or additional information you may wish to send. If you reach the point where you are no longer able to consider an offer of admission from Duke for this fall, please let us know.

Thank you for your patience through this lengthy admission process. We appreciate your interest in Duke Law School.

Sincerely,

Mark Hill
Director of Admissions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

got the same email, so torn....

night06

New

Post by night06 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 pm

peeker82 wrote:got the same email, so torn....
Same here. It's a tempting offer, but... another year?

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Just got the same email and I have no idea what to do. Completely torn/confused.

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm

I got that same email. Do you think the reapply/ED is a guaranteed acceptance? I'm all but headed to UT Austin next year, but Duke would be hard to turn down...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

sternc wrote:I got that same email. Do you think the reapply/ED is a guaranteed acceptance? I'm all but headed to UT Austin next year, but Duke would be hard to turn down...
the email kinda makes it sound like that doesn't it? especially since the turnaround for a resonse is a week (July 16). if they didn't want us, they would've dropped us with the rest of the waitlist. it would seem silly for them to offer this otherwise, in my opinion (maybe wishful thinking). i guess the absolute worst that could happen is that you get your July 16 decision and it's another waitlist, for another full year...haha

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 am

don't all binding applicants recieve a response within 10 days? I just don't want to get my hopes up assuming this means an auto-acceptance.

I think I'm going to go for it although I am really starting to like GW so if it's not meant to be, I'll be happy in DC (which is where I want to end up post-law school anyway) :)

good luck with this tough decision everyone

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 am

sternc wrote:I got that same email. Do you think the reapply/ED is a guaranteed acceptance? I'm all but headed to UT Austin next year, but Duke would be hard to turn down...
I got this email too. The nice thing about it is that if they reject you, it will be so quick that you can still go to your other choice for 2010-2011. So if you WOULD be willing to defer a year if you got accepted by Duke, then you should apply ED no question.

I personally wont be doing this b/c I don't want to wait another year, but if you are willing to... APPLY!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:41 am

i wonder what happens if we submit this ED Certification form and we don't get admitted in the 2014 class. would we be able to remain on the waitlist for this year? or is our application just done with? any thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:40 pm

peeker82 wrote:i wonder what happens if we submit this ED Certification form and we don't get admitted in the 2014 class. would we be able to remain on the waitlist for this year? or is our application just done with? any thoughts?

somone posted the e-mail and it said:
If Duke is your unequivocal top choice, you may convert your current application to a binding Early Decision application for 2011 by submitting this form
I would think that "convert" implies you are no longer on the WL for Fall 2010.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 pm

peeker82 wrote:i wonder what happens if we submit this ED Certification form and we don't get admitted in the 2014 class. would we be able to remain on the waitlist for this year? or is our application just done with? any thoughts?
The waitlist at Duke is hopeless this year anyways. If they reject your summer ED app you won't be one of the lucky one or two people they will be taking from the waitlist if someone drops out.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:56 pm

I think I'm gonna have to go for it :)

MeredithGrey

New

Post by MeredithGrey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Im definitely going for it. Ive never heard of a law school offer such a sweet deal. And I think it also speaks of the dire outlook for people on the waitlist... especially if they are overenrolled which I would have to believe that information. Not a single person has gotten off the waitlist at Duke while all other top schools like Harvard Yale Stanford have had waitlist movement. They have to be overenrolled. And they probably dont want to lose their top applicants so this is a pretty sweet deal. And I think those of us still on board have a almost certain chance of getting in. Why would they ask us then to withdraw from the waitlist to take this offer. If they didnt like us they would have booted us from the waitlist like everyone else.

If we get in, are we treated like deferrals where we cant apply or commit to anywhere else starting this summer, or like ED applicants and get to apply elsewhere next year and have until winter to give a commitment. Does anyone know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”