Duke Waitlist 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
terpette

Bronze

Duke Waitlist 2010

Post by terpette » Mon May 03, 2010 5:56 pm

a place to share hope, sadness, joy, etc.
:lol:

I'm on the WL (obviously) and sent a LOCI...hoping for some good luck to come my way. :)

MURPH

Silver

Re: Duke Waitlist 2010

Post by MURPH » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 am

I am on the waitlist for summer. I may ask to be taken off the summer waitlist this week. I still want to go there but I don't think Ill be ready if they pull me off the summer waitlist now.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am

woooops wrong thread

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm still confused by Duke's whole waitlist process. I received a letter saying I'm in the Priority Reserve List. Is this the same thing as the WL? or are they different?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Torvon wrote: I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I'll share the information I've gathered.

1) You can go from RD to PR or from PT straight to the waitlist, so it isn't just a waitlist for people that were on Priority Track.
2) Last year they sent out an email in mid-late February asking all those that had been placed on Priority Reserve to respond and let them know if they wish to remain on the Priority Reserve list so they could try and get them seats in the entering class.
3) Last year they started accepting people off of PR in December, this year the first person I am aware of was just accepted a few days back and was really only put on PR because he didn't write the "Why Duke?".

It seems like the best way to move from PR to being accepted is to turn in a Why Duke? if you haven't already. Last year someone was put on PR in February, wrote a LOCI and was accepted a day or so later. So a lot of the time they are just looking for genuine interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 pm

hmm, don't think it's so cut and dry. I applied in January (not priority track), I submitted a Why Duke with my application. Was PR'd early April. Visited, met with and adcom (went really well), turned in an LOCI right after my visit indicating they're my top choice and that I'd attend if admitted.

Do we have any clue how big the PR list and regular waitlist are?

jmesser

New

Post by jmesser » Tue May 04, 2010 3:21 pm

From their website:

Waitlist Updates
Summer-starting JD/LLM, JD/MA, JD/MS
The summer class is currently full. We will continue to monitor the class closely; seats may become available at any time before classes start in June. (updated May 3)

Fall-starting JD
Our deadline for tuition deposits for the fall term has passed and the class is currently full. We will continue to monitor the class closely; seats may become available at any time before the mandatory orientation program starts on August 16. (updated May 3)

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 pm

jmesser wrote:From their website:

Waitlist Updates
The summer class is currently full. We will continue to monitor the class closely; seats may become available at any time before classes start in June. (updated May 3)

Fall-starting JD
Our deadline for tuition deposits for the fall term has passed and the class is currently full. We will continue to monitor the class closely; seats may become available at any time before the mandatory orientation program starts on August 16. (updated May 3)

shit... this doesn't sound good guys...

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Waitlist Updates

Fall-starting JD
where do you find those updates jmesser???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jmesser

New

Post by jmesser » Tue May 04, 2010 4:02 pm

peeker82 wrote:

Waitlist Updates

Fall-starting JD
http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/waitlist

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Tue May 04, 2010 4:19 pm

jmesser wrote:
peeker82 wrote:

Waitlist Updates

Fall-starting JD
I think my heart just broke.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Tue May 04, 2010 4:32 pm

terpette wrote:
jmesser wrote:
peeker82 wrote:

Waitlist Updates

Fall-starting JD
+1

jmesser

New

Post by jmesser » Tue May 04, 2010 4:34 pm

terpette wrote:
jmesser wrote:
peeker82 wrote:

Waitlist Updates

Fall-starting JD
Mine too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:42 pm

jmesser wrote:

:cry:

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue May 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Keep the faith. There will likely be some people who bail out before classes start in the fall.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Tue May 04, 2010 6:51 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Keep the faith. There will likely be some people who bail out before classes start in the fall.
trueee. gotta hold out for that. (because of your 'tar)....go try and scare some of your future classmates off for us? hahaha kidding, of course!

terpette

Bronze

woahhh triple post, sorry
Last edited by terpette on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

terpette

Bronze

woahhh triple post, sorry
Last edited by terpette on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Wed May 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Just withdrew from the waitlist today-- I'm fully committed to Northwestern. Best of luck to you all!

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 am

Updates as of 5/27 people. from the duke waitlist website:

Orientation for the summer term has begun, and the class is fully enrolled. We have released people from the summer waitlist and offered a few the option of moving into consideration for the fall. If you are on the summer waitlist and have not heard from us, please check in to confirm your status. (updated May 27)

Fall-starting JD
Our deadline for tuition deposits for the fall term has passed and the class is currently full. We will continue to monitor the class closely; seats may become available at any time before the mandatory orientation program starts on August 16. (updated May 27)

Needless to say, not looking very good for us... any encouraging thoughts anyone??

rjfried

New

Post by rjfried » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:46 am

This is not looking good at all. Do you think they will release some of us soon or will all of us be held until the orientation? Anyone know how big the waitlist is?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aulburch

New

Post by aulburch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 pm

From speaking with Dean Hoye last week, they are currently over-enrolled by 45 students. In his words, it is not likely that they will take anyone off the waitlist and that they may have to hire another 1L professor due to the size of the incoming class. Tough news. I was released off the WL last week. Good luck to anyone still riding it out.

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 am

aulburch wrote:From speaking with Dean Hoye last week, they are currently over-enrolled by 45 students. In his words, it is not likely that they will take anyone off the waitlist and that they may have to hire another 1L professor due to the size of the incoming class. Tough news. I was released off the WL last week. Good luck to anyone still riding it out.
wow.... so brutal.... I hope Dean Hoye was just messing with you...

aulburch

New

Post by aulburch » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:01 pm

peeker82 wrote:
aulburch wrote:From speaking with Dean Hoye last week, they are currently over-enrolled by 45 students. In his words, it is not likely that they will take anyone off the waitlist and that they may have to hire another 1L professor due to the size of the incoming class. Tough news. I was released off the WL last week. Good luck to anyone still riding it out.
wow.... so brutal.... I hope Dean Hoye was just messing with you...
Quite certain he was not. He has told everyone I know at Duke undergrad and law (including other deans) that they are well overextended this year.

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 pm

wow - does not sound promising. still - crazier things have happened...

as long as I'm still on the waitlist, I'm not giving up completely

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”