Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby gdane » Mon May 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey, as someone that really wants to go to AU and would be truly elated to get accepted off the waitlist, youre really getting annoying. Be appreciative. If I got that phone call no joke I'd be jumping for joy, crying tears of joy and my family would no doubt be extremely happy.

You've had months to decide whether or not you want to go this school. If youre unsure about your prospects at other schools' waitlists, then just submit the deposit and wait out the other lists. Thats it.

Im sorry if im coming off jerkoffish.

NYCG8TR
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby NYCG8TR » Mon May 03, 2010 4:21 pm

peeker82 wrote:well, so that backfired... just got a call from American with the offer and the demand for $900 with 24 hours to go and NO extension, even tho i asked for one. dammit. what's funny is that the letter says that they wanted to gauge my interest BEFORE sending it to committee for review. I doubt they sent it to committee and approved it in the last 57 minutes since I sent my LOCI.

the positive is that she actually did tell me that if I can't come up with the $900 right now, she'll withdraw my acceptance, but if i come up with it at a later time she'll resubmit my file for another review. although she can't assure that I will be offered admission again.

thoughts??? plunge with the $900 or take my chances?


Not that my opinion matters, but unless the $900 was going to completely break you, I would just go ahead and pay the deposit.

You are in a position that many would envy. You were accepted off of a waitlist. It's a good thing, IMO.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:38 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hey, as someone that really wants to go to AU and would be truly elated to get accepted off the waitlist, youre really getting annoying. Be appreciative. If I got that phone call no joke I'd be jumping for joy, crying tears of joy and my family would no doubt be extremely happy.

You've had months to decide whether or not you want to go this school. If youre unsure about your prospects at other schools' waitlists, then just submit the deposit and wait out the other lists. Thats it.

Im sorry if im coming off jerkoffish.



sorry man, didn't mean to come off like that. i'm just really annoyed at the $900 when i have a bunch of waitlists that i have to stick with.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 pm

NYCG8TR wrote:
peeker82 wrote:
Not that my opinion matters, but unless the $900 was going to completely break you, I would just go ahead and pay the deposit.


That's the problem, the $900 will completely devastate my bank account right now.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby jks289 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 pm

OP, assuming you don't get off any waitlists is American your first choice? Would you pick American over not attending law school next year? If so, pay the deposit. If you get off a waitlist you can ask yourself if it is worth walking away from the $900 for it. If you don't get off any of them, you haven't screwed yourself out of school. This cycle WLs are very very unpredictable. I would plan (and have planned) for their being no movement.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm

jks289 wrote:OP, assuming you don't get off any waitlists is American your first choice? Would you pick American over not attending law school next year? If so, pay the deposit. If you get off a waitlist you can ask yourself if it is worth walking away from the $900 for it. If you don't get off any of them, you haven't screwed yourself out of school. This cycle WLs are very very unpredictable. I would plan (and have planned) for their being no movement.



i'm already in at wake. so right now i'm trying to decide whether i'd go to wake over american, in which case i wouldn't submit the AU deposit. If I decide that I'd rather go to American over Wake, then I guess I really have no choice but to submit the deposit to cover my bases.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby jks289 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:50 pm

peeker82 wrote:
jks289 wrote:OP, assuming you don't get off any waitlists is American your first choice? Would you pick American over not attending law school next year? If so, pay the deposit. If you get off a waitlist you can ask yourself if it is worth walking away from the $900 for it. If you don't get off any of them, you haven't screwed yourself out of school. This cycle WLs are very very unpredictable. I would plan (and have planned) for their being no movement.



i'm already in at wake. so right now i'm trying to decide whether i'd go to wake over american, in which case i wouldn't submit the AU deposit. If I decide that I'd rather go to American over Wake, then I guess I really have no choice but to submit the deposit to cover my bases.


Yes. If you are waffling on going to American over Wake then maybe it is smart to just withdraw. But I think it would be foolish to assume you'll get in off another waitlist or to have this deposit be the deciding factor in American vs Wake. Good luck, I know you have a tough decision in front of you.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:53 pm

jks289 wrote:
peeker82 wrote:
jks289 wrote:Yes. If you are waffling on going to American over Wake then maybe it is smart to just withdraw. But I think it would be foolish to assume you'll get in off another waitlist or to have this deposit be the deciding factor in American vs Wake. Good luck, I know you have a tough decision in front of you.


Thanks jks289 and everyone else for all your input, it's been really helpful. :D

Fergie
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby Fergie » Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 pm

I believe the $900 is half refundable before June 1. Sooo if you decide to pay - and then get off a 'better' waitlist before then, you're only out $450. $450 may be worth your're peace of mind to have a seat in the fall...

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby gdane » Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Negative. Waitlisted candidates do not get a refund. Nor can they request a deferment.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 pm

oh wow, this would be huge. are you positive this is not an option gdane5? When I was on the phone with the lady from admissions earlier I told her that I was concerned that I may not be able to come up with the $900. She didn't mention anything about a possible refund. I guess I didn't ask that directly either. I may call them tomorrow morning to verify. That would make my decision sooo much easier.

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby darklighter13 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 am

1) That's a huge deposit.
2) The 24-hour policy seems super-shady, especially since the school has to know that there are tons of people on like a million waitlists.
3) That in and of itself would turn me off the school.
4) I'd still probably try to come up with the cash anyway...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:12 am

For me, peace of mind is easily worth the $900 in this case.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby gdane » Tue May 04, 2010 1:44 am

Acceptance
Upon acceptance for fall 2010 admission, you will need to submit a tuition deposit of $900.00 by April 15th or by your deposit deadline . If you receive a merit scholarship, your deposit deadline is April 1st . Your seat deposit must be made within the specified time, or you will forfeit your place in the entering class. The deposit is credited against fall semester tuition charges. We will enclose complete instructions with your admission letter.

2010 Seat Deposit Partial Refund Policy
A partial seat deposit refund is available to non-matriculating candidates who meet the following requirements:
1. You were not offered admission through our Early Decision Option.
2. You were not offered admission off the waiting list.
3. You were not a transfer or visitor candidate.
4. You did not defer your admission from a previous year.
5. You were not a Public Interest/Public Service Scholarship recipient.
6. You have submitted the Not Attending Notifcation Form via the web http://www.wcl.american.edu/admiss/not_attending.cfm
7. If the Admissions Office receives this form no later than June 30, 2010 5:00pm EDT, a $450.00 refund is available. Please note failure to submit this form electronically by the June 30, 2010 5:00pm EDT deadline will result in a forfeiture of all deposit funds

User avatar
skamike
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby skamike » Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 am

Confirmed. When I talked to an admissions lady, she specifically told me there was no opportunity for a refund, even partially.

User avatar
smartin
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby smartin » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 am

This just seems extreme to me. As I said earlier in the thread, not everyone can come up with $900 in 24 hours. Completely unreasonable -- either they should lower the amount or allow an admit more time to come up with the cash.

Good luck, peeker82. I feel for you.

User avatar
skamike
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby skamike » Tue May 04, 2010 10:14 am

smartin wrote:This just seems extreme to me. As I said earlier in the thread, not everyone can come up with $900 in 24 hours. Completely unreasonable -- either they should lower the amount or allow an admit more time to come up with the cash.

Good luck, peeker82. I feel for you.


I dunno...quick timeframes equal quick decision making. It benefits the people that actually want to be at American. Yeah, the 900 is a bit steep, but what's 900 in the grand scheme of things? It helps to weed out those who aren't 100% committed. As soon as you get waitlisted, they tell you the stipulations of getting of the list. It's not like they spring it on you or anything

User avatar
smartin
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby smartin » Tue May 04, 2010 10:20 am

skamike wrote:
smartin wrote:This just seems extreme to me. As I said earlier in the thread, not everyone can come up with $900 in 24 hours. Completely unreasonable -- either they should lower the amount or allow an admit more time to come up with the cash.

Good luck, peeker82. I feel for you.


I dunno...quick timeframes equal quick decision making. It benefits the people that actually want to be at American. Yeah, the 900 is a bit steep, but what's 900 in the grand scheme of things? It helps to weed out those who aren't 100% committed. As soon as you get waitlisted, they tell you the stipulations of getting of the list. It's not like they spring it on you or anything



Yeah, if you have a >month to raise it -- not a big deal. But what if you're wait listed, and a week later admitted. I'm sure it's happened. Full disclosure: I was waitlisted at American back in February and knew then I'd have 24 hours to pay up.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby gdane » Tue May 04, 2010 10:27 am

Skamike hit it right. Plus he's been through this so he knows what hes talking about.

The $900 is a little much, but its not much than what other schools would ask for at this point and the 24 hours is a courtesy to the other waitlisted students. When one is waitlisted they should look into the terms so that there are no surprises. When waitlisted AU makes you fill out a form and at the bottom it clearly states that one will have to pay $900 within 24 hours or they will forfeit their spot.

The $900 in 24 hours is not new news and everyone, not just the OP, should have been prepared for that. Its like being given 2 months to write a 20 page research paper and then complaining when the professor tells you you have to hand it in at the end of the week and its Wednesday. You knew you had to do it, you had the time to do it, so you shouldve had it done.

Anyway, I hope Mr. Peeker came to a decision that he felt comfortable with. I know its a tough decision. Im fortunate to
have cleared my slate and im only waiting on AU, but having to wait for some t14's is so tough to deal with.

EDIT: While there are people that are waitlisted and accepted just days or a few weeks later, this is rare. Most people that were waitlisted have been for some time.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am

alright guys, i slept on it and I've decided I'm not going to submit the deposit. The admissions lady told me that if I come up with the deposit later on that I could contact her and she'd "check with the committee" to see whether they could find a spot for me, though it's not guaranteed. I interpret that as they're pretty much putting me back on the waitlist, i'm not necessarily burning that bridge. Truth is I can't let go of the $900 right now. And you guys are right, I expected it, it wasn't a surprise. I got the WL letter a month ago, so I knew this was a possibility. It just still is a tough choice to make, even when you know it's coming.

Thanks to all of you for your great advice. it definitely helped a lot in thinking through this whole process. I hope my spot goes to one of you still in the WL. I wish you could choose who your spot goes to :D

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby Sias » Tue May 04, 2010 3:10 pm

peeker82 wrote:this is so ghetto tho. no letter of acceptance congratulating me for being awesome or anything. just an emotionless email with a link for the $900 deposit. i want my letter telling me i'm awesome!


You get the letter saying you're awesome after you deposit.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby peeker82 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:15 pm

yea, figured that one. this is a very sneaky way for American to protect their yield. Because they're technically not admitting me by telling me to submit a deposit before sending me the offer. So if/when I decide I don't want to attend I won't count like an admit that decided not to got there....
Last edited by peeker82 on Tue May 04, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Ask to remain on Waitlist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:26 pm

peeker82 wrote:yea, figured that one. this is a very sneaky way for American to protect their yield. Because they're technically not admitting me by telling me to submit a deposit before sending me the offer. So if/when I decide don't I won't count like an admit that decided not to got there....


Yes they technically are admitting you.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”