I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DanInALionsDen

Bronze

I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm stressing like crazy.

GULC essentially gave me a full tuition scholarship, 40k/yr for three years +5k/yr work study. The scholarship has no GPA condition or anything of that kind. In the director of admissions' own words: "As long as you don't plagiarize or get yourself thrown out of the law school in some other way, the money is yours." The catch: they want an answer by Friday.

I'm on waitlists at Columbia, NYU, Penn, and my question is this: how far up the t14 list would I have to climb to make giving up the near free-ride at GULC worth it? (I know if this were someone's else's thread and I was the one reading it, I'd immediately reply "Cornell," but seriously)

Additional information: I'd like to clerk after law school, at the federal level.
Last edited by DanInALionsDen on Sat May 01, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Post by A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:14 pm

A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.
Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:16 pm

What are u interested in doing if you're not big law or bust I'd say your pretty solid with a free gulc degree even if u want big laW its pretty solid since it's free

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 4:17 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.
Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.
Well, I guess I should take that back. GULC full ride (for me) > Penn, maybe Berkeley, and probably NYU.

Michigan (for personal reasons) would make it a hard decision. U of Chicago, Columbia, would make it a VERY hard decision, and HYS is a no brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:28 pm

A'nold wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
Well, I guess I should take that back. GULC full ride (for me) > Penn, maybe Berkeley, and probably NYU.

Michigan (for personal reasons) would make it a hard decision. U of Chicago, Columbia, would make it a VERY hard decision, and HYS is a no brainer.
If I have any rational reason for questioning the offer, its this: According to GULC, only 3-4 of its grads gain a clerkship in DC, 2nd or 9th circuit courts of appeal--the ones I am most interested in (and everyone else). That seems like very, very few, considering how huge GULC's student body is. As for SCOTUS, the Georgetown reps said roughly one GULC grad gets a clerkship there every year (I think thats an exaggeration actually; Leitner reports 5 from 2000-08), and that person has always been first in their class apparently.

So I guess I'm worried that I'm sacrificing my clerking odds for some money upfront. The flipside is, if I have to pay sticker at Columbia/Chicago/NYU, will I even be able to afford to clerk? Is that a valid concern?

Also, I'd want to do biglaw after the clerkship.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:34 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:

If I have any rational reason for questioning the offer, its this: According to GULC, only 3-4 of its grads gain a clerkship in DC, 2nd or 9th circuit courts of appeal--the ones I am most interested in (and everyone else). That seems like very, very few, considering how huge GULC's student body is. As for SCOTUS, the Georgetown reps said roughly one GULC grad gets a clerkship there every year (I think thats an exaggeration actually; Leitner reports 5 from 2000-08), and that person has always been first in their class apparently.

So I guess I'm worried that I'm sacrificing my clerking odds for some money upfront. The flipside is, if I have to pay sticker at Columbia/Chicago/NYU, will I even be able to afford to clerk? Is that a valid concern?

Also, I'd want to do biglaw after the clerkship.
I don't think you should factor SCOTUS clerkships into you decision.

(for obvious reasons)

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
I don't think you should factor SCOTUS clerkships into you decision.

(for obvious reasons)
No, no. I'm not. It was just a sort-of side note. Really I would just like to clerk on the federal level, wherever I can. Obviously DC>2nd>9th>everything else, but I'd be happy with any circuit.
Last edited by DanInALionsDen on Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
That is the simple and correct answer. The fact is that law hiring is largely elitist. However, a GULC is certainly elite enough that I'd take it for free if I was offered it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm stressing like crazy.

GULC essentially gave me a full tuition scholarship, 40k/yr for three years +5k/yr work study. The scholarship has no GPA condition or anything of that kind. In the director of admissions' own words: "As long as you don't plagiarize or get yourself thrown out of the law school in some other way, the money is yours." The catch: they want an answer by Friday.

I'm on waitlists at Columbia, NYU, Penn, and my question is this: how far up the t14 list would I have to climb to make giving up the near free-ride at GULC worth it? (I know if this were someone's else's thread and I was the one reading it, I'd immediately reply "Cornell," but seriously)

Additional information: I'd like to clerk after law school, at the federal level.
That's ridiculous man. I would only consider giving up this deal from GULC for Columbia, and even then I think it woudl be a tough choice.

Don't let Desert Fox have that much control over your life. Full ride from GULC >>> MVP at sticker IMO.

SuperCool23

New

Post by SuperCool23 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:43 pm

What were your numbers(GPA, LSAT score)?

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:44 pm

dk8 wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm stressing like crazy.

That's ridiculous man. I would only consider giving up this deal from GULC for Columbia, and even then I think it woudl be a tough choice.

Haha. I meant that I would have said that as a joke.

Don't let Desert Fox have that much control over your life. Full ride from GULC >>> MVP at sticker IMO.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat May 01, 2010 4:45 pm

OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

The money is hard to turn down, but I'm worried about Goergetown's OCI. It does seem like there's a substantial Biglaw hiring difference between the two.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm

SuperCool23 wrote:What were your numbers(GPA, LSAT score)?
They're in my profile, but:

3.77, 171 (retake from 166).

If I decide to wait and reapply (after this semesters grades are factored in), it'll be a 3.8

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Sat May 01, 2010 4:48 pm

scribelaw wrote:OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

The money is hard to turn down, but I'm worried about Goergetown's OCI. It does seem like there's a substantial Biglaw hiring difference between the two.
Out of curiosity, where does one find OCI numbers? I'm interested in this as well, for similar reasons.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:48 pm

scribelaw wrote:OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

10%

But then I think... how much does LSAT/GPA correlate to success in law school? I would be a median candidate at NYU... at GULC, I'm the very top. If there is a strong correlation, then it should be easier for me to get to the top of GULC then the top of NYU. And the top of any t14 is an amazing thing.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:49 pm

pertristis wrote:

Out of curiosity, where does one find OCI numbers? I'm interested in this as well, for similar reasons.
Google NLJ "go-to law schools"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I just talked to my wife about this. We are both certain that we would take this offer over sticker anywhere but HYS.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

A'nold wrote:I just talked to my wife about this. We are both certain that we would take this offer over sticker anywhere but HYS.
I'm going to say that TITCR.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Sat May 01, 2010 5:07 pm

GULC dude. Unless you have good $$ from a T10.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sat May 01, 2010 5:09 pm

A'nold wrote:[strike]I just talked to my wife about this. We are both certain that we would[/strike] take this offer over sticker anywhere but HYS.
+1
With your numbers, this is an AWESOME offer. I would take it. MVPB and CCN arent worth ticket when Gtown still places great in biglaw and has awesome name prestige outside of law (even more then everyone but Columbia in the above groups). G-town also has great dual degree options (at least ones I would have like to try, had i been given the opportunity you have).

As Steve Miller would say "take the money and run"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat May 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Yup, in this case, follow the money. Scribe, I think you're in a more difficult situation and I'm not sure what to tell you.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:19 pm

clintonius wrote:Yup, in this case, follow the money. Scribe, I think you're in a more difficult situation and I'm not sure what to tell you.
Where are you going? NYU? Would you have taken this offer over your offer at NYU?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sat May 01, 2010 5:23 pm

It is not financially sound to pass up GLUC with this kind of money for any of the schools you've listed. Remember, there are people who can find no substantial employment from the schools you've listed; people in the top quarter missing out on federal clerkships, biglaw, etc.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:26 pm

sumus romani wrote:It is not financially sound to pass up GLUC with this kind of money for any of the schools you've listed. Remember, there are people who can find no substantial employment from the schools you've listed; people in the top quarter missing out on federal clerkships, biglaw, etc.
Yes, yes, but the ELITISM!!!! I don't want my future fellow associates snickering behind me back saying I went to GTTTOWN. :shock: Hahaha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”