I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm stressing like crazy.

GULC essentially gave me a full tuition scholarship, 40k/yr for three years +5k/yr work study. The scholarship has no GPA condition or anything of that kind. In the director of admissions' own words: "As long as you don't plagiarize or get yourself thrown out of the law school in some other way, the money is yours." The catch: they want an answer by Friday.

I'm on waitlists at Columbia, NYU, Penn, and my question is this: how far up the t14 list would I have to climb to make giving up the near free-ride at GULC worth it? (I know if this were someone's else's thread and I was the one reading it, I'd immediately reply "Cornell," but seriously)

Additional information: I'd like to clerk after law school, at the federal level.
Last edited by DanInALionsDen on Sat May 01, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Postby A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:14 pm

A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.


Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Postby jcunni5 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:16 pm

What are u interested in doing if you're not big law or bust I'd say your pretty solid with a free gulc degree even if u want big laW its pretty solid since it's free

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Postby A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 4:17 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.


Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.


Well, I guess I should take that back. GULC full ride (for me) > Penn, maybe Berkeley, and probably NYU.

Michigan (for personal reasons) would make it a hard decision. U of Chicago, Columbia, would make it a VERY hard decision, and HYS is a no brainer.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:28 pm

A'nold wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.


Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.


Well, I guess I should take that back. GULC full ride (for me) > Penn, maybe Berkeley, and probably NYU.

Michigan (for personal reasons) would make it a hard decision. U of Chicago, Columbia, would make it a VERY hard decision, and HYS is a no brainer.


If I have any rational reason for questioning the offer, its this: According to GULC, only 3-4 of its grads gain a clerkship in DC, 2nd or 9th circuit courts of appeal--the ones I am most interested in (and everyone else). That seems like very, very few, considering how huge GULC's student body is. As for SCOTUS, the Georgetown reps said roughly one GULC grad gets a clerkship there every year (I think thats an exaggeration actually; Leitner reports 5 from 2000-08), and that person has always been first in their class apparently.

So I guess I'm worried that I'm sacrificing my clerking odds for some money upfront. The flipside is, if I have to pay sticker at Columbia/Chicago/NYU, will I even be able to afford to clerk? Is that a valid concern?

Also, I'd want to do biglaw after the clerkship.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:34 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.


Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.


Well, I guess I should take that back. GULC full ride (for me) > Penn, maybe Berkeley, and probably NYU.

Michigan (for personal reasons) would make it a hard decision. U of Chicago, Columbia, would make it a VERY hard decision, and HYS is a no brainer.


If I have any rational reason for questioning the offer, its this: According to GULC, only 3-4 of its grads gain a clerkship in DC, 2nd or 9th circuit courts of appeal--the ones I am most interested in (and everyone else). That seems like very, very few, considering how huge GULC's student body is. As for SCOTUS, the Georgetown reps said roughly one GULC grad gets a clerkship there every year (I think thats an exaggeration actually; Leitner reports 5 from 2000-08), and that person has always been first in their class apparently.

So I guess I'm worried that I'm sacrificing my clerking odds for some money upfront. The flipside is, if I have to pay sticker at Columbia/Chicago/NYU, will I even be able to afford to clerk? Is that a valid concern?

Also, I'd want to do biglaw after the clerkship.


I don't think you should factor SCOTUS clerkships into you decision.

(for obvious reasons)

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
I don't think you should factor SCOTUS clerkships into you decision.

(for obvious reasons)


No, no. I'm not. It was just a sort-of side note. Really I would just like to clerk on the federal level, wherever I can. Obviously DC>2nd>9th>everything else, but I'd be happy with any circuit.
Last edited by DanInALionsDen on Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC schol. v. t13 question

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
A'nold wrote:Basically graduating for free from GULC sounds like a pretty decent opportunity. I'd probably say Mich on up would give me some pause.

Why? I basically feel the same way, but I can't put my finger on the reason without arriving at the simple answer: elitism.

That is the simple and correct answer. The fact is that law hiring is largely elitist. However, a GULC is certainly elite enough that I'd take it for free if I was offered it.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby dk8 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm stressing like crazy.

GULC essentially gave me a full tuition scholarship, 40k/yr for three years +5k/yr work study. The scholarship has no GPA condition or anything of that kind. In the director of admissions' own words: "As long as you don't plagiarize or get yourself thrown out of the law school in some other way, the money is yours." The catch: they want an answer by Friday.

I'm on waitlists at Columbia, NYU, Penn, and my question is this: how far up the t14 list would I have to climb to make giving up the near free-ride at GULC worth it? (I know if this were someone's else's thread and I was the one reading it, I'd immediately reply "Cornell," but seriously)

Additional information: I'd like to clerk after law school, at the federal level.


That's ridiculous man. I would only consider giving up this deal from GULC for Columbia, and even then I think it woudl be a tough choice.

Don't let Desert Fox have that much control over your life. Full ride from GULC >>> MVP at sticker IMO.

SuperCool23
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:56 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby SuperCool23 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:43 pm

What were your numbers(GPA, LSAT score)?

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:44 pm

dk8 wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm stressing like crazy.

GULC essentially gave me a full tuition scholarship, 40k/yr for three years +5k/yr work study. The scholarship has no GPA condition or anything of that kind. In the director of admissions' own words: "As long as you don't plagiarize or get yourself thrown out of the law school in some other way, the money is yours." The catch: they want an answer by Friday.

I'm on waitlists at Columbia, NYU, Penn, and my question is this: how far up the t14 list would I have to climb to make giving up the near free-ride at GULC worth it? (I know if this were someone's else's thread and I was the one reading it, I'd immediately reply "Cornell," but seriously)

Additional information: I'd like to clerk after law school, at the federal level.


That's ridiculous man. I would only consider giving up this deal from GULC for Columbia, and even then I think it woudl be a tough choice.

Haha. I meant that I would have said that as a joke.

Don't let Desert Fox have that much control over your life. Full ride from GULC >>> MVP at sticker IMO.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby scribelaw » Sat May 01, 2010 4:45 pm

OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

The money is hard to turn down, but I'm worried about Goergetown's OCI. It does seem like there's a substantial Biglaw hiring difference between the two.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm

SuperCool23 wrote:What were your numbers(GPA, LSAT score)?


They're in my profile, but:

3.77, 171 (retake from 166).

If I decide to wait and reapply (after this semesters grades are factored in), it'll be a 3.8

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby pertristis » Sat May 01, 2010 4:48 pm

scribelaw wrote:OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

The money is hard to turn down, but I'm worried about Goergetown's OCI. It does seem like there's a substantial Biglaw hiring difference between the two.


Out of curiosity, where does one find OCI numbers? I'm interested in this as well, for similar reasons.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:48 pm

scribelaw wrote:OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

The money is hard to turn down, but I'm worried about Goergetown's OCI. It does seem like there's a substantial Biglaw hiring difference between the two.


10%

But then I think... how much does LSAT/GPA correlate to success in law school? I would be a median candidate at NYU... at GULC, I'm the very top. If there is a strong correlation, then it should be easier for me to get to the top of GULC then the top of NYU. And the top of any t14 is an amazing thing.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 4:49 pm

pertristis wrote:
scribelaw wrote:OP, I'm in a similar boat -- deciding between $90k at GULC versus sticker at NYU.

The money is hard to turn down, but I'm worried about Goergetown's OCI. It does seem like there's a substantial Biglaw hiring difference between the two.


Out of curiosity, where does one find OCI numbers? I'm interested in this as well, for similar reasons.


Google NLJ "go-to law schools"

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I just talked to my wife about this. We are both certain that we would take this offer over sticker anywhere but HYS.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

A'nold wrote:I just talked to my wife about this. We are both certain that we would take this offer over sticker anywhere but HYS.

I'm going to say that TITCR.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby D Brooks » Sat May 01, 2010 5:07 pm

GULC dude. Unless you have good $$ from a T10.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby underachiever » Sat May 01, 2010 5:09 pm

A'nold wrote:[strike]I just talked to my wife about this. We are both certain that we would[/strike] take this offer over sticker anywhere but HYS.


+1
With your numbers, this is an AWESOME offer. I would take it. MVPB and CCN arent worth ticket when Gtown still places great in biglaw and has awesome name prestige outside of law (even more then everyone but Columbia in the above groups). G-town also has great dual degree options (at least ones I would have like to try, had i been given the opportunity you have).

As Steve Miller would say "take the money and run"

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby clintonius » Sat May 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Yup, in this case, follow the money. Scribe, I think you're in a more difficult situation and I'm not sure what to tell you.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:19 pm

clintonius wrote:Yup, in this case, follow the money. Scribe, I think you're in a more difficult situation and I'm not sure what to tell you.


Where are you going? NYU? Would you have taken this offer over your offer at NYU?

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby sumus romani » Sat May 01, 2010 5:23 pm

It is not financially sound to pass up GLUC with this kind of money for any of the schools you've listed. Remember, there are people who can find no substantial employment from the schools you've listed; people in the top quarter missing out on federal clerkships, biglaw, etc.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: I apologize in advance... GULC $$$$. v. t13 question

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:26 pm

sumus romani wrote:It is not financially sound to pass up GLUC with this kind of money for any of the schools you've listed. Remember, there are people who can find no substantial employment from the schools you've listed; people in the top quarter missing out on federal clerkships, biglaw, etc.


Yes, yes, but the ELITISM!!!! I don't want my future fellow associates snickering behind me back saying I went to GTTTOWN. :shock: Hahaha.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Google Adsense [Bot], l3g@l33s3, Majestic-12 [Bot], Zoe107 and 8 guests