UNC Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Emma1

Silver

Re: UNC Waitlist 2013

Post by Emma1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I don't think they will have a problem picking from the waitlist. There are plenty of people who would be thrilled to go there.

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 am

Litigious, I spoke to Mr. Gallo in UNC's admissions office a few weeks ago. He said that currently there were only about 200 remaining on the waitlist. My initial reaction - what a shocker. I, like you, was thinking of a number closer to 400.
You know, I'm not so sure that UNC will have such an easy time picking people off the waitlist based on my research. I ran that scenario myself and here is a "for example" of the top 22 people, statistically speaking, that are waitlisted per LSN. (and the school they are most likely to attend based on their own info)

domeafavor 160 4.08 UofI
JDhopeful2010 U 157 3.94 WUSL
scuba35steve 161 3.94 W&L
DBoysen527 160 3.93
mustang27 157 3.92 Santa Clara
yngepicurus 158 3.92 Alabama
Skidz85 158 3.82 George Mason
nhfla 160 3.82 Miami
tomindavis N 163 3.81
rxbandit 163 3.76 Tulane
noleinny 165 3.75
CH88 165 3.75 W&M
MarineVet N 161 3.72 Wisconsin
lostineden 164 3.71 W&M
LittleMissLawyer 161 3.7 Wake
daydreamscene 164 3.7 FSU ?
bmcinto 157 3.68
StrawberryRed89 167 3.67 Boston University
LadyTarHeelian 161 3.66
juevonate 165 3.66 W&M
psychedeliclax 162 3.64 Temple
ThisIsMadness 163 3.63
afinnst 166 3.63 Emory
MountainMan38 164 3.61 Wisconsin
minkins 164 3.6 Wake
traehekat 164 3.59 Iowa
jcw0705 161 3.57
dailykosak 162 3.57
JayTal 168 3.55 BU
lcsoccer 165 3.48 UGA

Keep in mind the following:

1. People that admit elsewhere don't always update LSN for the benefit of others
2. People don't withdraw even after picking another school because they like the ego stroke of a call from a dean (that they can turn down bragging "I got into X" instead)

Now that my preface is over, my point is that the top 1/3 of the WL according to the data available is effectively "off limits". If that turns out to be a WL of 361 (my prediction) or a WL of 200 (2nd hand claim attributed to P.J. Gallo) then we're talking about making dozens or even hundreds of phone calls down a list to get a "yes, I will go to UNC!" response.

Keep in mind that UNC is not known to do the ranking in order to choose a list of people to grant offers, but I think it is telling that the overall qualified WL is shrinking. I also think it is human nature to not do more work than necessary so UNC is likely to call those that have shown some indication of interest in the past 90 days. (fast response to the WL form, LOCI sent, additional LOR, etc)

That concludes this morning's reading of tea leaves for the UNC waitlist.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Hey I'm in your top 22!! :D

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 pm

In my statistical babbling I forgot to mention a key piece of information. The top 22 people listed above are representative of the top 1/3rd to 40% of all Waitlisted applicants at UNC.

-Now I'm going back to my nerd lair for more computations of admission odds.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Litigious wrote:In my statistical babbling I forgot to mention a key piece of information. The top 22 people listed above are representative of the top 1/3rd to 40% of all Waitlisted applicants at UNC.

I enjoy reading your computations. UNC however don't necessarily pick from the top 1/3...they pick geographically (according to what I have read in earlier posts). Also you have to address how many people they need to pull off the waitlist, maybe there aren't that many they need.
Last edited by Emma1 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Emma1 wrote:
Litigious wrote:In my statistical babbling I forgot to mention a key piece of information. The top 22 people listed above are representative of the top 1/3rd to 40% of all Waitlisted applicants at UNC.

I enjoy reading your computations. UNC however don't pick necessarily from the top 1/3...they pick geographically (according to what I have read in earlier posts). Also you have to address how many people they need to pull off the waitlist, maybe there aren't that many they need.
That is one thing they take into account. It's really a culmination of things from what I understand. Hopefully there will be some action after the June 14th deposit deadline.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:27 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens. I read that they fill their waitlist for OOS spots geographically to round out the class but it would also makes sense for them to look at the individuals as well.

No new offers for today?????

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 pm

RonArtest wrote:
Litigious wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have information on who is in-state vs. out of state for statistical analysis.

I will say that a 163/3.81 is above both of the published medians for UNC so your stats certainly do not harm your chances.

It *appears* (just my conjecture) that UNC fills the class up with the most diverse, highest scoring and most accomplished group of North Carolina residents as possible. Then, they go ahead and fill the remaining areas of the class with non-residents as necessary to get a full class. How can I come up with this claim? It seems to me that UNC never meets their 75% residency targets and it also seems that the majority of waitlist accepts are non-residents. So, it appears to me that the end of the cycle comes up, UNC can't find any more qualified residents OR they need more revenue and then they go grab people OOS on the WL.

My voodoo statistics lead me to believe that the waitlist has 361 people on it. My data also shows that about 7.9% of the waitlist consists of URMs. (I find this percentile to be too low considering over 15% of the admitted class is URM)

So if math matters, I'd say that you're EXTREMELY likely to be admitted considering you are NT, Female (guessing) and OOS.

If math doesn't matter (which I'm afraid is partially the case) I have no idea if you'll get the call.

Some very positive news about the waitlist. I did a quick perusal of the waitlisted student data I had access to. Of the 62 waitlisted students I picked a statistically meaningful 32 of them...the TOP GPA/LSAT 32. Why did I do this? I believe the top half of the WL students I looked at are representative of the top 50% of all UNC's WL students. Over 80% of the top half of the WL are CLEARLY not interested in UNC. Vast majority had either signaled their acceptance of another offer or they had huge $$$$s at a higher ranked university.

In conclusion, I think the ever shrinking UNC waitlist is very promising for applicants. I also believe that if math/ranking of the WL does occur people with above medians stand a very good chance of being accepted. If URMs are desired off the WL (they may not be if they've had a good URM/Resident accept rate) , then the URM waitlist is extremely promising for people with numbers at/around the medians.

That concludes my interpretation of speculative admission statistics at UNC.
Litigious, I spoke to Mr. Gallo in UNC's admissions office a few weeks ago. He said that currently there were only about 200 remaining on the waitlist. My initial reaction - what a shocker. I, like you, was thinking of a number closer to 400.
This seems highly unlikely. I spoke to admissions about 3 weeks ago or so and he said they were over 300 and probably still had a little growth to come. I hope you are right, but I really doubt it.

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 pm

tarheel87 wrote:This seems highly unlikely. I spoke to admissions about 3 weeks ago or so and he said they were over 300 and probably still had a little growth to come. I hope you are right, but I really doubt it.
I agree it does seem unlikely, but that's what he said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:56 pm

I have nothing important to add.. I just really, really want to get accepted off of this damn waitlist.
:|

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Nothing exciting to add here other than I want to get off the waitlist even more than littlemisslawyer does. (So UNC, if you're listening, pick me instead!)

Yes, I'm a non-resident male. But if it takes being a resident female to get off the waitlist, I'll see what I can do!

LML09, honestly, I have no idea why on earth you got waitlisted in the first place. Have you done any soul searching to assign cause? Your grades and LSAT seem fine to me, leading me to believe you had a problem in one of these areas:

1. No signficant work experience
2. Bad or uninspiring personal statement
3. Average letters of recommendation
4. Applied at the 11th hour
5. You simply have the world's worst luck

I would think that you would get in 100% if you worked this coming year, honed your PS, added another good LOR and applied the very first day of applications. I'm envious of your GPA and residency status when it comes to getting into UNC.

Regardless, I wish you lots of luck. I'm thinking you're going to get the call from Dean States and if I may be so bold, I think you're going to get the call around the 20th-25th of June.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Litigious wrote:Nothing exciting to add here other than I want to get off the waitlist even more than littlemisslawyer does. (So UNC, if you're listening, pick me instead!)

Yes, I'm a non-resident male. But if it takes being a resident female to get off the waitlist, I'll see what I can do!

LML09, honestly, I have no idea why on earth you got waitlisted in the first place. Have you done any soul searching to assign cause? Your grades and LSAT seem fine to me, leading me to believe you had a problem in one of these areas:

1. No signficant work experience
2. Bad or uninspiring personal statement
3. Average letters of recommendation
4. Applied at the 11th hour
5. You simply have the world's worst luck

I would think that you would get in 100% if you worked this coming year, honed your PS, added another good LOR and applied the very first day of applications. I'm envious of your GPA and residency status when it comes to getting into UNC.

Regardless, I wish you lots of luck. I'm thinking you're going to get the call from Dean States and if I may be so bold, I think you're going to get the call around the 20th-25th of June.

Well, I know a few in staters with better numbers than I have that also got waitlisted, so who knows. But...

1. I have 3 years experience working in international biomedical ethical law (the field I want to go in to)
2. A very interesting, unique and insightful PS (in my opinion, but i'm sure everyone thinks they are interesting)
3. Superb LORs (they let me read them)
4. Submitted my application the second day it was available
5. Maybe not bad luck...I think this year was just really tough, a lot of people with stronger LSATs applied to UNC.

I actually emailed them after I got my waitlist to see if there was anything glaringly offensive on my app that I should address in a letter and they said no, they thought my app was very strong and appealing and that they hoped that I would remain on the waitlist so they can continue to consider my app.

We shall see. I'm moving into my new apartment July 12, so I'm holding out until July 11. But June 16 would be a lot better!

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:47 pm

I think you were waitlisted because of your LSAT score, period. Hopefully you will get off the waitlist if they need more in state people:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 am

Can any current UNC students provide any information regarding the July versus August dates for consideration on the waitlist? Was UNC merely making us do the work for them and eliminate ourselves so they would have less work? Or is there more to it? Are they really going to consider a candidate more if they are willing to pack their bags and move to Chapel Hill the day before class starts?

Alyosha

Bronze

Post by Alyosha » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 am

actorlaw wrote:Can any current UNC students provide any information regarding the July versus August dates for consideration on the waitlist? Was UNC merely making us do the work for them and eliminate ourselves so they would have less work? Or is there more to it? Are they really going to consider a candidate more if they are willing to pack their bags and move to Chapel Hill the day before class starts?
I'm a UNC student and I was accepted off the waitlist last year. I didn't send in any LOCI's, extra recommendations, or anything other than the required forms. My LSAT was over the 75%, and GPA was below median (possibly below 25% I can't remember). I am a resident as well. On the waitlist letter I checked I was willing to wait until late August, but I was accepted around the middle of July. I think this is what the quote above is asking about.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about UNC in general or the waitlist. You can search my posts and see the decision I had to make last July. It was difficult, to say the least.

I don't know if I can give any insight into who is taken off the waitlist. The few people I saw accepted last year on TLS off the waitlist (not more than 2 or 3 people other than me) tended to have greater than 75% LSATs. Having met with Dean States a few times I have found him extremely genuine and down to earth, so whatever he has said about how they take people off the waitlist I would tend to believe.

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:41 pm

So, I sent my LOCI and two LOR today. My intention is they will get them right at the deadline and draw attention to my application. They were really good LOR and I hope it helps. Does anyone know if they actually help any at all?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 pm

let0927 wrote:So, I sent my LOCI and two LOR today. My intention is they will get them right at the deadline and draw attention to my application. They were really good LOR and I hope it helps. Does anyone know if they actually help any at all?

It can't hurt, but demographics are really important at this point. However, I did email Dean States the second I found out they activated the wait list. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:22 pm

When did they?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:13 am

let0927 wrote:When did they?

First people to get off the waitlist were called Friday, May 21 in the evening.

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Withdrawing from unc this coming tuesday. Hopefully one of u will get my spot.

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:21 pm

I withdrew off the waitlist today. Best of luck to everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sques001

New

Post by sques001 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 am

hello everyone!

I'm also in the UNC waitlist but the more I read here the less hope I have of being admitted since I'm OOS..I truly hope to get some info by the end of this month. Anyways, I just joined for the sake of keeping my sanity because my friends couldnt take talking about waitlists anymore.. :D

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 pm

If anyone hears any movement on the waitlist post it immediately please. I know its a long shot but I still want to go to Carolina. It sucks right now because I am planning on going to Campbell but my wife got a teaching job in Fayettville. We are looking at Benson because of its location on I40 and I95 but if Carolina actually accepts me then I'll be stuck in a house an hour and ten minutes away. Another option is Sanford because it is about the same distance from Campbell and UNC. Anyone else in a similar situation? If so, please provide your plans etc.

Thanks

sierrakat

New

Post by sierrakat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 pm

I just got a phone call 30 minutes ago letting me know I was accepted! Obviously this is great news for me (I was accepted at U of Oregon, U of Kentucky, and U of Georgia, but UNC was my first choice.)

Best of luck to everyone who's waiting to here back from them, at least you know they're taking people.

Here are my stats, if you're interested.

I'm a female OOS (Oregon) with a 166 LSAT and a 3.7 GPA. I applied quite late (the day before the due date actually.) Hope this helps!

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:43 pm

sierrakat wrote:I just got a phone call 30 minutes ago letting me know I was accepted! Obviously this is great news for me (I was accepted at U of Oregon, U of Kentucky, and U of Georgia, but UNC was my first choice.)
That's great! So, we'll see you in August?
Last edited by d-cannon on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”