UNC Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lml09

Re: UNC Waitlist 2013

Postby lml09 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:44 pm

sierrakat wrote:I just got a phone call 30 minutes ago letting me know I was accepted! Obviously this is great news for me (I was accepted at U of Oregon, U of Kentucky, and U of Georgia, but UNC was my first choice.)

Best of luck to everyone who's waiting to here back from them, at least you know they're taking people.

Here are my stats, if you're interested.

I'm a female OOS (Oregon) with a 166 LSAT and a 3.7 GPA. I applied quite late (the day before the due date actually.) Hope this helps!

Congrats! Did they give you a timeline to give them an answer back by?

I don't think UNC is going to be showing us in staters any love this year :cry:

TargusTargus

Postby TargusTargus » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Just got the call a few hours ago letting me know I'm in! White male, IN-state, 3.4/163. Sent in a LOCI and two new letters of recommendation.

This has been the longest six months of my life. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

uncgirl09

Postby uncgirl09 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:56 pm

female- instate unc graduate. 160/3.5...any thoughts about me getting off the waitlist?

sierrakat

Postby sierrakat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:57 am

d-cannon: yep, I confirmed that I would love to take the seat and I am headed that way in the fall! I'm very excited.

lml09: I actually just told them I would accept right then, so I'm not sure what the timeline looks like for making a decision.

targustargus: Yeah, I think waitlists for law school are torturous :( But now it's over!

uncgirl09: I don't know much about the demographics they're looking for, but I'd say being a female might help, and if any in-staters pull out at the last minute, they'll want to replace them with other in-staters. Good luck!

Also, I didn't mention that I didn't send any LOCIs, any additional LORs, or even my final transcript (The U of Oregon just had graduation Monday so I didn't have time for my final transcript to even get mailed). So if you haven't done those things, there's still a chance!

let0927

Postby let0927 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Ok, I called today and spoke with Dean States. I told him I was just inquiring about the waitlist and not my status.

Here were the questions and answers:

1. When will the waitlist be in full effect?
a- "In the next three weeks, we want our class filled by August first."

2. Does it matter if my LSAT was lower than other peoples?
a- "No, we fill the waitlist by order of need as in OOS, IS, Male, Female, Undergrad representation, etc. We like to keep the ratio of IS to OOS at 70% to 30% and we will look at that in the coming weeks."
(We already knew that part)

3. Does a LOCI help?
a- " Actually it does because we want to offer admittance to people who are serious about coming here and who will not decide to go elsewhere if they get in off of another school's waitlist."

4. Do you have any idea of the number you will be accepting off of the waitlist?
a- "Not yet, we will have a better idea within the next 3 weeks, I can't give an accurate answer at this time."

5. If i do get a call, if I do not answer will that forfeit my spot?
a- "No, we will leave a message for you to call back.

There were probably more questions but I cannot remember them right off hand. The person I first spoke to didn't have much information and said that Dean States would know so I asked was he available. She took down my name and he picked up like 5 minutes later. Hopefully this reconaissance mission was not done in vain or hurt my chances of being accepted.

I hope you all benefit from my initiative and that this relieves some of your curisoties.

Sias

Postby Sias » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:58 pm

How are people sending LOCIs?

kickthebcket

Postby kickthebcket » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54 pm

let0927 wrote:1. When will the waitlist be in full effect?

Thanks a lot let0927, but this answer is weird...Shouldn't the waitlist be in "full effect" now? They've already "activated" it. Clarification please? I'm expecting to hear this week if I am to hear at all, given the June 14 seat deposit.

Sias wrote:How are people sending LOCIs?

I attached mine to my waitlist form. 8)

kickthebcket

Postby kickthebcket » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:10 pm

One more thing...

let0927 wrote:2. Does it matter if my LSAT was lower than other peoples?
a- "No, we fill the waitlist by order of need as in OOS, IS, Male, Female, Undergrad representation, etc. We like to keep the ratio of IS to OOS at 70% to 30% and we will look at that in the coming weeks."

Hmm...did we already know that part? I was under the impression that they SELECT from the waitlist by order of need as in OOS, IS, etc. I think that's what you meant. Otherwise, it sounds like the waitlist is ranked by demographic need...which doesn't make sense because they won't know what kinds of people they'll end up needing. :roll:

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks let0917, I was wondering if after last Friday's wait list acceptances they were done for now and would only be accepting people if someone dropped out. Maybe they still have a few more open spots :P

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:14 pm

kickthebcket wrote:One more thing...

let0927 wrote:2. Does it matter if my LSAT was lower than other peoples?

Hmm...did we already know that part? I was under the impression that they SELECT from the waitlist by order of need as in OOS, IS, etc. I think that's what you meant. Otherwise, it sounds like the waitlist is ranked by demographic need...which doesn't make sense because they won't know what kinds of people they'll end up needing. :roll:

I don't think Dean States was being entirely accurate here (not that I want to speak for him). I mean, all other things equal, I imagine that LSAT and GPA scores would indeed matter to a certain extent.

re: LOCIs: I sent my first one by letter on nice paper, just to make a first impression. My second one, of several days ago, was simply an attachment by email. I haven't gotten the sense that they prefer either one, although with some schools I have called just to see if their office has an administrative preference for either one.

let0927

Postby let0927 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 pm

kickthebcket wrote:
let0927 wrote:1. When will the waitlist be in full effect?

Thanks a lot let0927, but this answer is weird...Shouldn't the waitlist be in "full effect" now? They've already "activated" it. Clarification please? I'm expecting to hear this week if I am to hear at all, given the June 14 seat deposit.

Sias wrote:How are people sending LOCIs?

I attached mine to my waitlist form. 8)

I got the impression that they either haven't reviewed the class as of today or he was spewing bs. Plus, I checked their website and the application for transfer and visiting students deadline is June 15 if I am not mistaken.

Also, since Gruter v. Bollinger, we all know that law schools are legally allowed to distinguish their classes based on demographics, such as race and sex, and that they all try to maintain a representative balance based on the demographic of the population.

I sent my LOCI via snail mail with two LORs. As for the rest of the information that Dean States said, those are his words. We have been asking people those questions on here and elsewhere and now that we have the answers, we still question the validity. Dean States may very well be spewing bs but the fact is that he took the time to give me answers. He sounded very truthful on the phone.I think the reason they have no clue of the demographics of the waitlist is because June 15 was just last week. Also, Mr. Gallo already told me that they are reasonable and give late acceptances a few weeks to submit seat deposits. Meaning that if you were accepted today, they would not expect your deposit tomorrow.

kickthebcket

Postby kickthebcket » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

just noticed a new WL, Accepted on LSN...165/3.48/male, but no indication of OOS/IS or an actual decision date. Also says he withdrew...potentially good news for us still waiting?!

bta422

Postby bta422 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:04 pm

kickthebcket wrote:just noticed a new WL, Accepted on LSN...165/3.48/male, but no indication of OOS/IS or an actual decision date. Also says he withdrew...potentially good news for us still waiting?!

that was me. OOS. got phone call last week. goodluck to everyone!

kickthebcket

Postby kickthebcket » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 pm

bta422 wrote:
kickthebcket wrote:just noticed a new WL, Accepted on LSN...165/3.48/male, but no indication of OOS/IS or an actual decision date. Also says he withdrew...potentially good news for us still waiting?!

can you share which state you're from and which undergrad you went to? thanks man

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Why do you want his undergrad institution?

bta422

Postby bta422 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 pm

kickthebcket wrote:
bta422 wrote:

can you share which state you're from and which undergrad you went to? thanks man

umm..no sorry lol. Ill give ya a hint to what state I'm from...Its not NC..

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Perhaps a state known for their peaches among other things?:)

bta422

Postby bta422 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Emma1 wrote:Perhaps a state known for their peaches among other things?:)

getting warmer...but no

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 pm

hmmmm.......I saw that you posted that you were eligible for instate tuition there so I presumed you also were a resident. Notice however that I didn't ask what college you graduated from because I think it is irrelevant to most admission decisions! (UGA? cough cough)

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 pm

bta422 wrote:

getting warmer...but no

Roll tide?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:58 pm

That would have been my next pick as well!

kickthebcket

Postby kickthebcket » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 pm

bta422 wrote:
kickthebcket wrote:
bta422 wrote:

umm..no sorry lol. Ill give ya a hint to what state I'm from...Its not NC..

is it a state west of the Mississippi?

bta422

Postby bta422 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Emma1 wrote:hmmmm.......I saw that you posted that you were eligible for instate tuition there so I presumed you also were a resident. Notice however that I didn't ask what college you graduated from because I think it is irrelevant to most admission decisions! (UGA? cough cough)

yea ill be at UGA next yr. they gave me instate 1st yr

Regionality wrote:
bta422 wrote:

getting warmer...but no

Roll tide?

Nope. still warm though

kickthebcket wrote:is it a state west of the Mississippi?

no its east.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Florida. :)
What do I win?

bta422

Postby bta422 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Florida. :)
What do I win?

Nope!! getting colder. you guys are pretty bad at this game