UNC Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: UNC Waitlist 2013

Post by tommytahoe » Sat May 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Anybody here get an email today saying that that the UNC Waitlist process has begun, and that if you need to pay any seat deposits at other schools before June 1st that we should feel free to do so b/c they don't know how quickly, or at what times, they will go to the list?

ms.ballerina

New

Post by ms.ballerina » Sat May 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Yep just got that email.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Yep, got it. Someone's working on a Saturday, and it ain't me!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat May 22, 2010 5:13 pm

ms.ballerina wrote:Yep just got that email.
That was my guess. I imagine this is them being informative, letting us know that the process has begun. I didn't feel as though it was sent to me because I am preferred or anything... no hints to that effect. What's your read?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Got it too, I figure it's just a blanket email. But nice to have some contact! Anyone not get the email?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 5:16 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
ms.ballerina wrote:Yep just got that email.
That was my guess. I imagine this is them being informative, letting us know that the process has begun. I didn't feel as though it was sent to me because I am preferred or anything... no hints to that effect. What's your read?
Highlights:

I am writing to inform you that UNC is officially activating its waitlist...This does not mean that we can tell you when you will be added from the waitlist...

Our advice to you is to pay the seat deposit at the school you would attend if you were not admitted at UNC so you don't lose the place...

... We ask that you please resist the urge to contact the office to ask. Again, we will call or email those who will be offered seats from the waitlist and this will continue until the first day of orientation if necessary...

My assessment: Just a mass email to all waitlisters...no preference or priority indication whatsoever

ms.ballerina

New

Post by ms.ballerina » Sat May 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Agreed I think it's a general "here's whats going on" email...

Although the whole "Our advice to you is to pay the seat deposit at the school you would attend if you were not admitted at UNC so you don't lose the place" is a bit annoying/odd... I mean, yes UNC, obviously we will hold a spot at another law school since we are JUST on your waitlist....riiiiiight?? Maybe not...maybe full tuition scholarships?!? HA

Wishful thinking.

fizze

New

Post by fizze » Sat May 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I just got accepted off the wait list.
165/3.5 in state.

Keep hopes up!
(Also, I still might go to Wake)

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:46 pm

fizze wrote:I just got accepted off the wait list.
165/3.5 in state.

Keep hopes up!

Phone or email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:57 pm

165/3.5 in state.

Keep hopes up!

Congrats, btw!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 6:26 pm

165/3.5 in state.

Keep hopes up!
Damn, on a saturday?? They may be old-school but they appear to be burning the midnight oil!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Where can I find detailed employment stats about UNC?

minkins

New

Post by minkins » Mon May 24, 2010 9:46 am

That waitlist email was pretty surprising! Communication... from UNC?? Crazy!

LSAT: 164
GPA: 3.6
Out-of-state

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fizze

New

Post by fizze » Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 pm

Regionality wrote:
165/3.5 in state.

Keep hopes up!
Damn, on a saturday?? They may be old-school but they appear to be burning the midnight oil!

Yeah; I think I got called on a Friday.
Regionality wrote:Where can I find detailed employment stats about UNC?
The only meaningful information I could find online (besides the admissions sat/ugpa grids) was on the lsac website; it was in the ABA law school data section, center right of the second page:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA5816.pdf

kickthebcket

New

Post by kickthebcket » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 am

So... is it the general consensus that we can expect another wave of acceptances after the June 14 deposit due date?

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 am

I don't know what the concensus is on the matter, but the actual truth (whether everyone votes to agree or not) is that we will see some WL movement around June 14th. UNC is a great school but it is a very tricky one to predict when it comes to admissions. They are very cautious to keep the 70% resident / 30% non-resident mixture at UNC. We have no idea who is withdrawing and therefore no idea who will be pulled from the WL. Up until this point, the WL has been used quite sparingly at UNC but a big wave should be coming.

I wish everyone lots of luck as we brace for whatever news is coming our way.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:15 am

Litigious wrote:I don't know what the concensus is on the matter, but the actual truth (whether everyone votes to agree or not) is that we will see some WL movement around June 14th. UNC is a great school but it is a very tricky one to predict when it comes to admissions. They are very cautious to keep the 70% resident / 30% non-resident mixture at UNC. We have no idea who is withdrawing and therefore no idea who will be pulled from the WL. Up until this point, the WL has been used quite sparingly at UNC but a big wave should be coming.

I wish everyone lots of luck as we brace for whatever news is coming our way.

I agree that we have no idea of who will be withdrawing so we don't know who will be pulled from the waitlist but I don't think we are going to see a big wave. :( I mean, last year they only accepted 23 people off of the waitlist and we know that they have accepted at least 5 from it this year. Here's to hoping this year is different though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:17 am

Oh! I forgot to mention that the ad comm said that of those 23 who were accepted, 18 were oos.

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Here is a little solace through statistics for the waitlisted at UNC:

URM Average LSAT 155
URM Average GPA 3.514

Waitlist Average LSAT 161.46
Waitlist Average GPA 3.52

Nontraditional WL LSAT 162.43
Nontraditional WL GPA 3.37

WL Without URM LSAT 161.88
WL Without URM GPA 3.52

WL Without URM/NT LSAT 161.92
WL Without URM/NT GPA 3.55

Accepted Average URM LSAT 159.67
Accepted Average URM GPA 3.58

Accepted Nontraditional LSAT 161
Accepted Nontraditional GPA 3.56

Just working off the data I have available, even if it has a margin of error.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Litigious wrote:Here is a little solace through statistics for the waitlisted at UNC:

URM Average LSAT 155
URM Average GPA 3.514

Waitlist Average LSAT 161.46
Waitlist Average GPA 3.52

Nontraditional WL LSAT 162.43
Nontraditional WL GPA 3.37

WL Without URM LSAT 161.88
WL Without URM GPA 3.52

WL Without URM/NT LSAT 161.92
WL Without URM/NT GPA 3.55

Accepted Average URM LSAT 159.67
Accepted Average URM GPA 3.58

Accepted Nontraditional LSAT 161
Accepted Nontraditional GPA 3.56

Just working off the data I have available, even if it has a margin of error.
Nice work. What I'd like to know is how in-state and out-of-state mediate those stats. I'm an NT, non-URM, 163/3.81, and i have to believe that the one thing that would hurt me is my being OOS.

Favor2010

New

Post by Favor2010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Nice work. What I'd like to know is how in-state and out-of-state mediate those stats. I'm an NT, non-URM, 163/3.81, and i have to believe that the one thing that would hurt me is my being OOS.
I am not sure if being OOS on the waitlist is something you need to worry too much about. From what I hear (not sure how reliable this is), more admitted OOS students withdraw to attend other schools than in-state students. For many in-staters, UNC is their "dream" school. So if this true (and since we know UNC accepts waitlisted students on demographics), you can assume that in any given year more OOS students will be pulled of the waitlist that in-staters. Good luck to all of you. Hope to see you in the fall.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have information on who is in-state vs. out of state for statistical analysis.

I will say that a 163/3.81 is above both of the published medians for UNC so your stats certainly do not harm your chances.

It *appears* (just my conjecture) that UNC fills the class up with the most diverse, highest scoring and most accomplished group of North Carolina residents as possible. Then, they go ahead and fill the remaining areas of the class with non-residents as necessary to get a full class. How can I come up with this claim? It seems to me that UNC never meets their 75% residency targets and it also seems that the majority of waitlist accepts are non-residents. So, it appears to me that the end of the cycle comes up, UNC can't find any more qualified residents OR they need more revenue and then they go grab people OOS on the WL.

My voodoo statistics lead me to believe that the waitlist has 361 people on it. My data also shows that about 7.9% of the waitlist consists of URMs. (I find this percentile to be too low considering over 15% of the admitted class is URM)

So if math matters, I'd say that you're EXTREMELY likely to be admitted considering you are NT, Female (guessing) and OOS.

If math doesn't matter (which I'm afraid is partially the case) I have no idea if you'll get the call.

Some very positive news about the waitlist. I did a quick perusal of the waitlisted student data I had access to. Of the 62 waitlisted students I picked a statistically meaningful 32 of them...the TOP GPA/LSAT 32. Why did I do this? I believe the top half of the WL students I looked at are representative of the top 50% of all UNC's WL students. Over 80% of the top half of the WL are CLEARLY not interested in UNC. Vast majority had either signaled their acceptance of another offer or they had huge $$$$s at a higher ranked university.

In conclusion, I think the ever shrinking UNC waitlist is very promising for applicants. I also believe that if math/ranking of the WL does occur people with above medians stand a very good chance of being accepted. If URMs are desired off the WL (they may not be if they've had a good URM/Resident accept rate) , then the URM waitlist is extremely promising for people with numbers at/around the medians.

That concludes my interpretation of speculative admission statistics at UNC.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Litigious wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have information on who is in-state vs. out of state for statistical analysis.

I will say that a 163/3.81 is above both of the published medians for UNC so your stats certainly do not harm your chances.

It *appears* (just my conjecture) that UNC fills the class up with the most diverse, highest scoring and most accomplished group of North Carolina residents as possible. Then, they go ahead and fill the remaining areas of the class with non-residents as necessary to get a full class. How can I come up with this claim? It seems to me that UNC never meets their 75% residency targets and it also seems that the majority of waitlist accepts are non-residents. So, it appears to me that the end of the cycle comes up, UNC can't find any more qualified residents OR they need more revenue and then they go grab people OOS on the WL.

My voodoo statistics lead me to believe that the waitlist has 361 people on it. My data also shows that about 7.9% of the waitlist consists of URMs. (I find this percentile to be too low considering over 15% of the admitted class is URM)

So if math matters, I'd say that you're EXTREMELY likely to be admitted considering you are NT, Female (guessing) and OOS.

If math doesn't matter (which I'm afraid is partially the case) I have no idea if you'll get the call.

Some very positive news about the waitlist. I did a quick perusal of the waitlisted student data I had access to. Of the 62 waitlisted students I picked a statistically meaningful 32 of them...the TOP GPA/LSAT 32. Why did I do this? I believe the top half of the WL students I looked at are representative of the top 50% of all UNC's WL students. Over 80% of the top half of the WL are CLEARLY not interested in UNC. Vast majority had either signaled their acceptance of another offer or they had huge $$$$s at a higher ranked university.

In conclusion, I think the ever shrinking UNC waitlist is very promising for applicants. I also believe that if math/ranking of the WL does occur people with above medians stand a very good chance of being accepted. If URMs are desired off the WL (they may not be if they've had a good URM/Resident accept rate) , then the URM waitlist is extremely promising for people with numbers at/around the medians.

Nicely done on all fronts (setting aside the fact that you called me woman :wink: ). I just have Mary Louise up there to give the TLS threads a boost in hotness.

I am hopeful I get an offer, but mine has been the cycle of increasingly lowered expectations. We'll see... But mid-June is a big stress time for me with Davis, UNC, and a couple other schools likely to start some significant WL movement right around then.

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Litigious wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have information on who is in-state vs. out of state for statistical analysis.

Litigious, I spoke to Mr. Gallo in UNC's admissions office a few weeks ago. He said that currently there were only about 200 remaining on the waitlist. My initial reaction - what a shocker. I, like you, was thinking of a number closer to 400.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:42 pm

RonArtest wrote:

Litigious, I spoke to Mr. Gallo in UNC's admissions office a few weeks ago. He said that currently there were only about 200 remaining on the waitlist. My initial reaction - what a shocker. I, like you, was thinking of a number closer to 400.
I agree...I sorta foresee problems for them. They waitlisted a lot of people (myself included) who'd get into equal and better schools than UNC, and while I stayed on the WL I am not really interested unless they threw me a looot of money...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”