UNC Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iRANGZ

New

Re: UNC Waitlist 2013

Post by iRANGZ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:48 pm

ranni wrote:I just received a call from the Dean today and was offered a seat off the wait list. I will be attending this fall. I had a 161 and a 3.5 gpa. There is still hope people. Good luck.

Instate or OOS?

ranni

New

Post by ranni » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:50 pm

in state

rbriggs2

New

Post by rbriggs2 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Just visited today to see what the campus was like and look around Chapel Hill/Durham. Talked to the director of admissions about the waitlist, and it wasn't the most productive conversation. She wasn't interested at all in me or maybe talking about my file she was more interested in lecturing me on why to go ahead and enroll at a different school. It was actually somewhat funny to hear that from her when just about every applying law student should have a backup plan. Anyway wasn't very impressed with her or the law building itself, it had it's good points but I expected more from a school with UNC's reputation. She did tell me that the waitlist is pretty much at a stand still and that they have their class pretty much filled at 254 for the fall.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 pm

rbriggs2 wrote:Just visited today to see what the campus was like and look around Chapel Hill/Durham. Talked to the director of admissions about the waitlist, and it wasn't the most productive conversation. She wasn't interested at all in me or maybe talking about my file she was more interested in lecturing me on why to go ahead and enroll at a different school. It was actually somewhat funny to hear that from her when just about every applying law student should have a backup plan. Anyway wasn't very impressed with her or the law building itself, it had it's good points but I expected more from a school with UNC's reputation. She did tell me that the waitlist is pretty much at a stand still and that they have their class pretty much filled at 254 for the fall.
I wouldn't worry about it. UNC has it's hands tied by the NC Legislator and they can't function like a normal law school. They have to waitlist/deny exceptionally overqualified applicants in order to let in random N Carolinians with mediocre numbers....and then they give them an ENORMOUS discount to attend a top-ranked school. It's no wonder they have little difficulty filling their class....the local discount and preference overshadows anything and everything the adcoms do.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Regionality wrote:
rbriggs2 wrote:Just visited today to see what the campus was like and look around Chapel Hill/Durham. Talked to the director of admissions about the waitlist, and it wasn't the most productive conversation. She wasn't interested at all in me or maybe talking about my file she was more interested in lecturing me on why to go ahead and enroll at a different school. It was actually somewhat funny to hear that from her when just about every applying law student should have a backup plan. Anyway wasn't very impressed with her or the law building itself, it had it's good points but I expected more from a school with UNC's reputation. She did tell me that the waitlist is pretty much at a stand still and that they have their class pretty much filled at 254 for the fall.
I wouldn't worry about it. UNC has it's hands tied by the NC Legislator and they can't function like a normal law school. They have to waitlist/deny exceptionally overqualified applicants in order to let in random N Carolinians with mediocre numbers....and then they give them an ENORMOUS discount to attend a top-ranked school. It's no wonder they have little difficulty filling their class....the local discount and preference overshadows anything and everything the adcoms do.
I wouldn't necessarily say UNC has its hands tied by its in-state requirements and tuition considering that central purpose/reason for UNC's existence is to educate North Carolinians for as close to free as possible. At least according to its charter in the state constitution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Merr wrote:
Regionality wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say UNC has its hands tied by its in-state requirements and tuition considering that central purpose/reason for UNC's existence is to educate North Carolinians for as close to free as possible. At least according to its charter in the state constitution.
Ok, fair enough. But in terms of their ability to recruit the most talented class and create the most successful lawyers, they do have their hands tied...and I bet there are a few people at that institution who resent that their state school has the strictest state-preferential-treatment requirements of any state school in the country.

So UNC does have its hands tied...but the NC Government/Population is getting what they want from their state school (I guess?)

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Regionality wrote:
Merr wrote:

Ok, fair enough. But in terms of their ability to recruit the most talented class and create the most successful lawyers, they do have their hands tied...and I bet there are a few people at that institution who resent that their state school has the strictest state-preferential-treatment requirements of any state school in the country.

So UNC does have its hands tied...but the NC Government/Population is getting what they want from their state school (I guess?)
I do not think what you say in your first paragraph (bolded) is their goal though. Thus why I do not think their hands are tied. UNC's goal is to provide affordable education to NC residents and through that to train quality NC attorneys. To go a step further I think UNC would be tying its hands in regards to primary goal if it did away with its strict preferential treatment. This is because they would be educating far fewer NC residents and would probably train fewer NC lawyers as a result of OOSers leaving after school.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Merr wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Merr wrote:

I do not think what you say in your first paragraph (bolded) is their goal though. Thus why I do not think their hands are tied. UNC's goal is to provide affordable education to NC residents and through that to train quality NC attorneys. To go a step further I think UNC would be tying its hands in regards to primary goal if it did away with its strict preferential treatment. This is because they would be educating far fewer NC residents and would probably train fewer NC lawyers as a result of OOSers leaving after school.
So tell me, why does UNC need to have such strong preferential treatment compared to other states? Is the state incapable of attracting people from out of state for legal jobs at competitive salaries with a good quality of life?

UNC is extreme. An argument could be made that the state would attract many qualified legal minds from out of state who go to UNC for law school and then establish a career/life because they like the state.

I understand the goal of educating North Carolinians...but defining that is much different than defining an "American", and it's very possible that a NC'ian would free-load on UNC and peace the hell out just like an OOSer would come to UNC and fall in love with the state and stay.

So I stand by my point. UNC doesn't get to attract as qualified a student body, and subsequently, probably cannot graduate as qualified a student body than if they weren't hamstrung by such strict requirements. So I actually think it may not serve the state as well as you are suggesting it will because it inherently discourages folks with strong legal minds from moving to the state in the first place...

...but it's an interesting debate.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Regionality wrote:
So tell me, why does UNC need to have such strong preferential treatment compared to other states? Is the state incapable of attracting people from out of state for legal jobs at competitive salaries with a good quality of life?

UNC is extreme. An argument could be made that the state would attract many qualified legal minds from out of state who go to UNC for law school and then establish a career/life because they like the state.

I understand the goal of educating North Carolinians...but defining that is much different than defining an "American", and it's very possible that a NC'ian would free-load on UNC and peace the hell out just like an OOSer would come to UNC and fall in love with the state and stay.

So I stand by my point. UNC doesn't get to attract as qualified a student body, and subsequently, probably cannot graduate as qualified a student body than if they weren't hamstrung by such strict requirements. So I actually think it may not serve the state as well as you are suggesting it will because it inherently discourages folks with strong legal minds from moving to the state in the first place...

UNC has such strong preferences because the legislature, which established and controls the UNC system, feels that such a strong preference is needed to fulfill the constitutional mandate for the UNC system.

It is true that argument could be made about attracting skilled people to come stay, but bear in mind the NC constitution specifically says that the purpose of the UNC system is more or less to provide higher education to residents of the state for as little cost as practicable (where residents of the state are more or less clearly defined by the two sets of criteria set out by the state). On top of the UNC's very strong presence in the NC bar seems to suggest that the current strategy is working in training NC attorneys and keeping them in-state. All things considered, attracting more and more "strong legal minds" from OOS at the expense of providing education to NC residents seems to run counter to the University system's mandate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Regionality wrote:
Merr wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Merr wrote:

You make some really good points but they are all circumstantial. North Carolinians are more likely to stay in state than oosers therefore it is irrelevant to try and attract oosers to come here.You are right that ISers may take advantage of the lower tuition then "peace out" but those ISers were residents and more than likely worked a job that paid taxes as well as their parents (as tax payers). The fact is that regardless of the policy, even if they wanted to have a more equal ratio, they can't allow more OOSers due to the state constitution.

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:41 pm

I think there will be a spot opening fairly soon. I just withdrew today. Out of stater, GPA below median LSAT above.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm

somewherewarm wrote:I think there will be a spot opening fairly soon. I just withdrew today. Out of stater, GPA below median LSAT above.
Where ya headed?

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:24 pm

somewherewarm wrote:I think there will be a spot opening fairly soon. I just withdrew today. Out of stater, GPA below median LSAT above.

:(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”