Worst Cycle in History? EDIT: Somewhat poor cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What should I do?

Go to GULC with a 90k grant
43%
Reapply next year
13%
Go to Columbia if you get off the WL, otherwise GULC
21%
Go to Columbia if you get off the WL, otherwise reapply
2%
Go to NYU or up if you get off the WL, otherwise GULC
4%
Go to NYU or up if you get off the WL, otherwise reapply
2%
Go to Penn or up if you get off the WL, otherwise GULC
11%
Go to Penn or up if you get off the WL, otherwise reapply
3%

Total votes: 149

webbylu87

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am

clintonius wrote:Regarding your loans: if they're all federal, you should be abel to put them in forbearance for up to three years simply by checking a box that says you are experiencing financial hardship. You'll accrue interest during this time, but you won't go delinquent. This is different from going into deferral, when I believe you don't accrue interest but must have a qualifying reason like going to grad school. Americorps may actually put you in the latter category.

AmeriCorps puts your loans into forbearance not deferral but it can kind of be seen as a deferral because....

While your loan is in forbearance during your term of service, interest continues to accrue. However, If you successfully complete your term of service the National Service Trust will pay all or a portion of the interest that accrued on your qualified student loans during your service period.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

The previous posters are correct in saying that this cycle was merely below average. Sorry, OP :(

That said, just based on LSN, this year has been one of the toughest in the last decade for law school admission. Areas that were solid green in past years are more yellow/red with a few greens this year. The economy seems like a plausible explanation for this to me, but it still sucks.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 am

I know I'm very late to the party here, and I'm replying after only having read the OP. Let me make sure that I have my facts straight: your GPA is 3.77, and have taken the LSAT 2x, with a high score of 171. Basically, your numbers are decent, but not otherworldly for the top schools. Additionally, you applied in JANUARY in a year where applications are through the roof everywhere. You managed to get 90k from GULC, a notoriously stingy school when it comes to scholly money, and you are asking if you have had the worst cycle in history?

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
CCN wrote:I don't get it. This is not worst cycle in history. FYI, your softs were super soft. So you think you can dance? Hah, great.

Are you mocking a charity which annually raises and donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to children with cancer and blood disorders and constitutes the largest student run philanthropy event in the state of New Jersey?

What a great sense of humor you have.

Yes, the fact that he questioned your softs means CCN hates kids with cancer. In fact, so does the majority of people on TLS. That's why you're getting these negative responses to a thread that deserves sage advice and comforting words rather than mocking.

Your cycle was disappointing, but getting significant $$ at GULC helps. You are not close to the worst cycle for this year, let alone in the entire history of law school applications.

Because I meant that literally.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Just to clarify:

1) The title of the thread was a JOKE. The exaggeration was intentional. I think my cycle went poorly, but do not, in fact, think I had the worst cycle EVER.

2) My GPA is a 3.77. The 3.13 kid was someone else who was posting about his situation. Employ some critical reading skills before attacking me for a GPA that isn't even mine.

3) Although the title of the organization I worked for is "Dance Marathon" my role in it did not involve dancing in anyway. It involved community organizing and outreach, raising awareness, securing sponsorships, etc. I'm assuming most people here actually understand this, but are pretending not to because they are pissed off about this issue addressed in point 1.

4) Title edited to accommodate for the apparent tendency of TLSers to read everything as absolutely literal.

holydonkey

Re: Worst Cycle in History? EDIT: Somewhat poor cycle

Postby holydonkey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:Just to clarify:

1) The title of the thread was a JOKE. The exaggeration was intentional. I think my cycle went poorly, but do not, in fact, think I had the worst cycle EVER.

2) My GPA is a 3.77. The 3.13 kid was someone else who was posting about his situation. Employ some critical reading skills before attacking me for a GPA that isn't even mine.

3) Although the title of the organization I worked for is "Dance Marathon" my role in it did not involve dancing in anyway. It involved community organizing and outreach, raising awareness, securing sponsorships, etc. I'm assuming most people here actually understand this, but are pretending not to because they are pissed off about this issue addressed in point 1.

4) Title edited to accommodate for the apparent tendency of TLSers to read everything as absolutely literal.

I call shenanigans on number 1. You were totally like "I'm sure I had the worst cycle in history", so you were not joking. Haha

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm

CG614 wrote:

I call shenanigans on number 1. You were totally like "I'm sure I had the worst cycle in history", so you were not joking. Haha

The second sentence in my initial post admits the possibility that my results may have been completely typical for my numbers: "or are these results typical for a 171 (retake from a 166), 3.77 who applied in Jan." If I had truly thought my cycle was the worst in history, I wouldn't have acknowledged that it might be completely ordinary.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm

The welcome that you have received in this thread doesn't have anything to do with anyone taking your thread title literally. However, it probably does have something to do with the fact that you come off as a whiny twit. Perhaps if you take the pirouetting down a notch, you'll have time for some much needed self-reflection.

evanxlee

Postby evanxlee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:49 pm

NayBoer wrote:
If your LSDAS GPA is 3.13 and not 3.83, then your cycle makes sense. Your 3.13 puts you sub-25th GPA at every school on your list. You also chose some schools that emphasize GPA a bit. You would have fared better had you chosen some more splitter friendly schools. As for the higher-ranked schools on your list, your LSAT falls below most of their 75ths.

I think you would have gotten at least a WL at GULC had you applied earlier, though.

You know, despite the whole "numbers" game, I guess I truly went into this believing that I'd land a spot at a school of others who have performed at similar levels, regardless of how they report. That's all I'm saying. I'm quite happy with UCLA, given I'm a musician and a southern californian, though I would have at least enjoyed having options. I think it's a crock that there are many individuals who are barred from merit aid and forced to go to schools with lesser job prospects (isn't that what this dance is really about?!) simply because of some b.s. technicality. The world isn't black and white, and this process should likewise be colored.

holborn

Postby holborn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 pm

I really don't think people know what Dance Marathon is. for the google-challenged, its an event where participants raise money for children with cancer, and then attend a final event where they stand for 30 hours straight. I, personally, think the standing for 30 hours thing to show children (many of which are in wheelchairs) that you support them is a little weird. But they raise half a million dollars for children's cancer research and treatment yearly at my school, so more power to them.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:03 pm

I still think it is a relatively weak soft.

holborn

Postby holborn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:05 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:I still think it is a relatively weak soft.

I wouldn't say weak, but yeah its average. Many people do volunteer/charity work. However, my comment was aimed more at the people saying that being a dancer isn't a soft.

elaw86

Postby elaw86 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Not feeling too sorry for you, don't think you can call that the "worst cycle". I would have attended Georgetown at sticker if I had gotten in.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 pm

DanInALionsDen's LSN wrote:
Volunteered as a Dancer (Spring 2007) in my school's Dance Marathon to benefit children with cancer and blood disorders. The event raised over 200k. My part involved standing for 32 hrs. w/o sitting or sleeping as well as raising money.

Just sayin...

14yearplan

Postby 14yearplan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:22 pm

julesm2200 wrote:

I wouldn't say weak, but yeah its average. Many people do volunteer/charity work. However, my comment was aimed more at the people saying that being a dancer isn't a soft.

(#1) proven inability to write in a manner so as not to come off as entitled + (#2) overemphasis of softs (probably attributed more so to #1) + OP's numbers + 90k from GULC + other T14 waitlists = good cycle (not poor, whatsoever)

No offense intended whatsoever OP, but you just come off as a little too entitled, imho. I can honestly say after reading your posts/responses, I understand why you are in the situation you are in. You want advice . . . stop getting defensive and read what people are telling you--you might be able to learn from it. We all feel entitled somewhat, but most know how to play it down, or hide it altogether. My bet is that you failed to do this in your apps and it showed . . . as it continues to show in this thread.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

holborn

Postby holborn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:22 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

Volunteered as a Dancer (Spring 2007) in my school's Dance Marathon to benefit children with cancer and blood disorders. The event raised over 200k. My part involved standing for 32 hrs. w/o sitting or sleeping as well as raising money.

Just sayin...

Participants are called Dancers. Admissions people would be familliar with the charity, as well as the terms used.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Lurkster wrote:The welcome that you have received in this thread doesn't have anything to do with anyone taking your thread title literally. However, it probably does have something to do with the fact that you come off as a whiny twit. Perhaps if you take the pirouetting down a notch, you'll have time for some much needed self-reflection.

Someone's upset with the repercussions of their 3.1 GPA. Take out your frustrations elsewhere. I'm not whining, I'm looking for opinions and advice.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

Just sayin...

Participants are called Dancers. Admissions people would be familliar with the charity, as well as the terms used.

Thank you.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:27 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
Lurkster wrote:The welcome that you have received in this thread doesn't have anything to do with anyone taking your thread title literally. However, it probably does have something to do with the fact that you come off as a whiny twit. Perhaps if you take the pirouetting down a notch, you'll have time for some much needed self-reflection.

Someone's upset with the repercussions of their 3.1 GPA. Take out your frustrations elsewhere. I'm not whining, I'm looking for opinions and advice.

:roll:

anyway, I would reapply if you don't get into penn off the WL. I think you definitely underperformed, so try again next cycle. make sure to apply early or maybe even ED to a school of choice (penn?) and you'll probably get in. I think NYU and columbia are longshots.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 pm

14yearplan wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:

(#1) proven inability to write in a manner so as not to come off as entitled + (#2) overemphasis of softs (probably attributed more so to #1) + OP's numbers + 90k from GULC + other T14 waitlists = good cycle (not poor, whatsoever)

No offense intended whatsoever OP, but you just come off as a little too entitled, imho. I can honestly say after reading your posts/responses, I understand why you are in the situation you are in. You want advice . . . stop getting defensive and read what people are telling you--you might be able to learn from it. We all feel entitled somewhat, but most know how to play it down, or hide it altogether. My bet is that you failed to do this in your apps and it showed . . . as it continues to show in this thread.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

I think this same criticism is levied against anyone who expresses disappointment on this site. I've read and appreciated what people in this thread have said to me when it's been constructive. Even sent a few PMs thanking people for their advice. Posters reducing my charity work to "dancing,"--even if the level of that work was common among law school applicants--was not helpful.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:32 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

Just sayin...

I'm quite familiar with the charity as about every girl I knew in UG "participated" in Dance Marathon religiously. Doesn't change the fact that OP called himself a dancer in the very first soft he listed on LSN, then got upset when people chided him for listing dancing as a soft.

holborn

Postby holborn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:34 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

Just sayin...

I'm quite familiar with the charity as about every girl I knew in UG "participated" in Dance Marathon religiously. Doesn't change the fact that OP called himself a dancer in the very first soft he listed on LSN, then got upset when people chided him for listing dancing as a soft.

I mean, I get where you guys made that connection. but honestly what else was he supposed to call himself?

im not really on the OPs side here, but I think there are better ways to mock this situation then attack him for using the appropriate term to describe his volunteer work.

14yearplan

Postby 14yearplan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:38 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
14yearplan wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:

Anyways, my 2 cents.

I think this same criticism is levied against anyone who expresses disappointment on this site. I've read and appreciated what people in this thread have said to me when it's been constructive. Even sent a few PMs thanking people for their advice. Posters reducing my charity work to "dancing,"--even if the level of that work was common among law school applicants--was not helpful.

You can take something constructive from everything if you try.

Calling your volunteer work dancing, volunteering, raising money, whatever--don't you realize that there are other applicants out there that have done much more amazing things with their lives. Not to downplay what you did, I commend you for it, but it seems like a semi-isolated incident that happened once a year for a couple of years. There are many people who have done much more volunteer work than I have, and on much larger scales, and without discounting my own accomplishments/motivations, I can accept this fact. At the T10 schools, you are going against the best of the best when it comes to accomplishments--both service-wise, and academically.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:41 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
I mean, I get where you guys made that connection. but honestly what else was he supposed to call himself?

im not really on the OPs side here, but I think there are better ways to mock this situation then attack him for using the appropriate term to describe his volunteer work.

I'm not attacking him. I'm just defending the people who understandably misinterpreted the "soft" as he listed it.

Also, as an aside, I think merely "participating" in Dance Marathon one year doesn't really qualify as a soft--especially not one that warrants listing on LSN. My gut tells me that if participating in a few volunteer events, coordinating Dance Marathon one year, and being in a frat make up the bulk of OP's softs, then that might partially explain his lackluster cycle.

Edit: Previous poster pretty much summed it up.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”