Worst Cycle in History? EDIT: Somewhat poor cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What should I do?

Go to GULC with a 90k grant
64
43%
Reapply next year
20
13%
Go to Columbia if you get off the WL, otherwise GULC
31
21%
Go to Columbia if you get off the WL, otherwise reapply
3
2%
Go to NYU or up if you get off the WL, otherwise GULC
6
4%
Go to NYU or up if you get off the WL, otherwise reapply
3
2%
Go to Penn or up if you get off the WL, otherwise GULC
17
11%
Go to Penn or up if you get off the WL, otherwise reapply
5
3%
 
Total votes: 149

evanxlee
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:37 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby evanxlee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
evanxlee wrote:make a deposit at GULC, wait it out on the others, and if nothing comes your way or you absolutely hate DC re-apply in october.

to make you feel better, my cycle went:

(applied mid-jan, 3.83/170/2009 berkeley grad/currently lead paralegal at a boutique class action/real estate/consumer protection firm in san diego)

Duke: WL
U of San Diego: In (no $)
Berkeley: out
BU: WL
GULC: out
UCLA: in (no $)
hastings: WL
NYU: out
BC: WL
Chicago, Columbia, U$C, Harvard: No response.

Caveat: my GPA reports at 3.13 because of a semester I had to leave due to hospitalization RIGHT before finals, resulting in straight F's. .. the infamous berkeley bureaucracy wouldn't help me out with it, so i wrote a lengthy addendum. Oh, and my PS was about IP/entertainment law.

So yeah, your cycle wasn't terrible. mine, on the other hand.....


Hmm. Your situation sucks, but at least your cycle has clear explanation.


yeah, but you'd like to think that at least ONE t-14 would bite, especially given Duke, Berkeley, and NYU's "we love IP law" status. I think for you it's just time. I'm fairly certain had you and i applied in october we'd have fared better.

edited for singular/plural consistency.

User avatar
gochrisgo
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby gochrisgo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm

.
Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No1ustad
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby No1ustad » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
No1ustad wrote:u submitted in late jan.., what did u expect? quit whining and either take the $105k from gulc or next time submit at Least before new years.... i personally think ur lucky to get that much scholly $$, and if ur lucky, ull get off a WL after 2nd deposits are due..


tre harsh. I applied in Jan bc I took the dec LSAT. Couldn't help it, but I guess I'm paying for it.


maybe. but theres a reason that people try to stress the importance of applying early. or at least ED'ing somewhere... ed at uva wouldve def gotten you in, maybe jan woulda been to late to ED anywhere other than that. No LOCI's?

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby DanInALionsDen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm bumping this thread out of pure self interest.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 pm

I think chevrondeference makes some good points about Georgetown and clerkships.. if you really really want a clerkship. It might not be a bad idea to put in an ED app to Columbia/Penn/NYU/Chicago next year... you stand a chance at all of these places.

Generic20101L
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby Generic20101L » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:11 am

evanxlee wrote:make a deposit at GULC, wait it out on the others, and if nothing comes your way or you absolutely hate DC re-apply in october.

to make you feel better, my cycle went:

(applied mid-jan, 3.83/170/2009 berkeley grad/currently lead paralegal at a boutique class action/real estate/consumer protection firm in san diego)

Duke: WL
U of San Diego: In (no $)
Berkeley: out
BU: WL
GULC: out
UCLA: in (no $)
hastings: WL
NYU: out
BC: WL
Chicago, Columbia, U$C, Harvard: No response.

Caveat: my GPA reports at 3.13 because of a semester I had to leave due to hospitalization RIGHT before finals, resulting in straight F's. .. the infamous berkeley bureaucracy wouldn't help me out with it, so i wrote a lengthy addendum. Oh, and my PS was about IP/entertainment law.

So yeah, your cycle wasn't terrible. mine, on the other hand.....


That's a pretty huge caveat. They have to report that 3.13.

evanxlee
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:37 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby evanxlee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:02 am

Generic20101L wrote:That's a pretty huge caveat. They have to report that 3.13.


Actually, they don't. They report their 25th. If their 25th is 3.75, they can admit the other 24.9% of their class with 2.0s and maintain the 3.75 25th statistic.

Generic20101L
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby Generic20101L » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 am

evanxlee wrote:
Generic20101L wrote:That's a pretty huge caveat. They have to report that 3.13.


Actually, they don't. They report their 25th. If their 25th is 3.75, they can admit the other 24.9% of their class with 2.0s and maintain the 3.75 25th statistic.


Yes they do. Not as a 3.13 directly but it counts.

User avatar
hoopsguy6
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby hoopsguy6 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 am

Your cycle is indeed the WURST EVAR. Woe is you.

If you don't like GULC, then I would reapply. Frankly, your numbers aren't that great, and I think you're damn lucky to have gotten 90k from a T14. January isn't that late, so I don't think that's the cause. Was your PS controversial? Any red flags?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 am

Generic20101L wrote:
evanxlee wrote:make a deposit at GULC, wait it out on the others, and if nothing comes your way or you absolutely hate DC re-apply in october.

to make you feel better, my cycle went:

(applied mid-jan, 3.83/170/2009 berkeley grad/currently lead paralegal at a boutique class action/real estate/consumer protection firm in san diego)

Duke: WL
U of San Diego: In (no $)
Berkeley: out
BU: WL
GULC: out
UCLA: in (no $)
hastings: WL
NYU: out
BC: WL
Chicago, Columbia, U$C, Harvard: No response.

Caveat: my GPA reports at 3.13 because of a semester I had to leave due to hospitalization RIGHT before finals, resulting in straight F's. .. the infamous berkeley bureaucracy wouldn't help me out with it, so i wrote a lengthy addendum. Oh, and my PS was about IP/entertainment law.

So yeah, your cycle wasn't terrible. mine, on the other hand.....


That's a pretty huge caveat. They have to report that 3.13.


TITCR. That's like being like, "man, I got gypped this year! I had a 3.99 GPA (LSAC 2.4) and a 177 LSAT (practice average, 158 real but I had the flu that day and wrote an addendum).

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby NayBoer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 am

evanxlee wrote:make a deposit at GULC, wait it out on the others, and if nothing comes your way or you absolutely hate DC re-apply in october.

to make you feel better, my cycle went:

(applied mid-jan, 3.83/170/2009 berkeley grad/currently lead paralegal at a boutique class action/real estate/consumer protection firm in san diego)

Duke: WL
U of San Diego: In (no $)
Berkeley: out
BU: WL
GULC: out
UCLA: in (no $)
hastings: WL
NYU: out
BC: WL
Chicago, Columbia, U$C, Harvard: No response.

Caveat: my GPA reports at 3.13 because of a semester I had to leave due to hospitalization RIGHT before finals, resulting in straight F's. .. the infamous berkeley bureaucracy wouldn't help me out with it, so i wrote a lengthy addendum. Oh, and my PS was about IP/entertainment law.

So yeah, your cycle wasn't terrible. mine, on the other hand.....


If your LSDAS GPA is 3.13 and not 3.83, then your cycle makes sense. Your 3.13 puts you sub-25th GPA at every school on your list. You also chose some schools that emphasize GPA a bit. You would have fared better had you chosen some more splitter friendly schools. As for the higher-ranked schools on your list, your LSAT falls below most of their 75ths.

I think you would have gotten at least a WL at GULC had you applied earlier, though.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby CG614 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:15 am

OP, whatever you do, please don't come to CLS. Please keep your melodramatic self at G-Town. Yes, the only explaination that fits is that your Recs got mixed up. Thanks.

CCN
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby CCN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:27 am

CG614 wrote:OP, whatever you do, please don't come to CLS. Please keep your melodramatic self at G-Town. Yes, the only explaination that fits is that your Recs got mixed up. Thanks.


OP presents dancing as a soft.

I allude to the fact that their app might have lacked substance due to weak softs.

OP assumes I hate people w/ cancer.


Now what's so overly dramatic about that???? This thread is exactly as advertised. Worst Cycle Ever!!!

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:32 am

OP, if you actually put dance marathon captain as one of your main softs, and you have a 3.13 instead of a 3.77, you're cycle went about as expected. I'm not sure you could improve so greatly next year.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:10 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:
CCN wrote:I don't get it. This is not worst cycle in history. FYI, your softs were super soft. So you think you can dance? Hah, great.


Are you mocking a charity which annually raises and donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to children with cancer and blood disorders and constitutes the largest student run philanthropy event in the state of New Jersey?

What a great sense of humor you have.


Yes, the fact that he questioned your softs means CCN hates kids with cancer. In fact, so does the majority of people on TLS. That's why you're getting these negative responses to a thread that deserves sage advice and comforting words rather than mocking.

Your cycle was disappointing, but getting significant $$ at GULC helps. You are not close to the worst cycle for this year, let alone in the entire history of law school applications.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:23 am

edit: got confused
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby doinmybest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:11 am

Hah! We had a very similar cycle! It doesn't look like you applied to Michigan (a place you might have got into with $$). We have a lot of the same WLs and the exact same scholly amount at BU. I'm narrowed down to Michigan with $ and the Stanford WL. Maybe you would have had a chance at one of those if you had applied?

rockstar4488
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:28 am

evanxlee: I don't see how this was that bad a cycle for you. You did quite well for a splitter with relatively weak softs.

As for the OP, my opinion is to take the 90k from GULC.
Last edited by rockstar4488 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:The only reason I'm even hesitant to take a year off is because I have 30k in undergrad loans which would come out to ~400/month in payments as far as I can tell. I obviously can't default on these loans, or else I won't be able to get a GradPlus loan. Does anyone know about the possibility of deferring loans for a year between undergrad and law school? I know that some charity work allows for this, but I think I may have missed the boat on those applications....

Also, if I take a year off, will I be able to put my loans back into deferral once I do enter law school?


A program like AmeriCorps would allow you to do this. Federal loans are automatically eligible for forbearance due to national service. Private loans are slightly more difficult but you would probably be able for put those into forbearance due to financial hardship. Your loans will once again go into deferral once you return to full time education (at least the federal ones should, not totally sure about private ones).

AmeriCorps applications for year long programs are still out there. It was about this time last year that I got my position. Go to http://www.americorps.gov and do an opportunity search to find out what positions are available. There are a lot of law-related positions as well. I wouldn't wait too long though if you are in fact interested.

Edit: I'd take the 90k at GULC. That's me though.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 am

Take the 90 k at Georgetown. A reapply won't do enough good to justify a year off (especially if you have nothing to do). That being said, wait out your NYU waitlist of course, and jump there if you get in!

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby holydonkey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am

CCN wrote:
CG614 wrote:OP, whatever you do, please don't come to CLS. Please keep your melodramatic self at G-Town. Yes, the only explaination that fits is that your Recs got mixed up. Thanks.
OP presents dancing as a soft.

I allude to the fact that their app might have lacked substance due to weak softs.

OP assumes I hate people w/ cancer.
That's pretty much how I read as well. OP, if you reapply, tune down the melodrama.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby CG614 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 am

holydonkey wrote:
CCN wrote:
CG614 wrote:OP, whatever you do, please don't come to CLS. Please keep your melodramatic self at G-Town. Yes, the only explaination that fits is that your Recs got mixed up. Thanks.
OP presents dancing as a soft.

I allude to the fact that their app might have lacked substance due to weak softs.

OP assumes I hate people w/ cancer.
That's pretty much how I read as well. OP, if you reapply, tune down the melodrama.


Not to mention that a 167 -> 171 is within the Confidence Interval of a 167. So, most school will not value that 171 as much as a one time taker. 167 -> 175 shows that maybe the 167 was the outlier. Your jump can be assumed by normal statistical variation.
Also, the 3.1x person was a different poster, not the OP.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby clintonius » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:37 am

I thought the confidence interval for LSAT was +/- three points. Also, the OP went 166 to 171. Either way, it's still not as strong as a 171 on the first take. OP, I'd say your cycle wasn't bad, all things considered. My numbers are ever so slightly higher than yours (172 first time/3.8), I applied slightly later than you, and with the exception of an NYU acceptance, our outcomes look similar at the places we both applied (I was WL to accept at Georgetown WITHOUT money, waitlisted at CLS, UVA and Duke, rejected at Boalt, and haven't heard back from Chicago). I'm not sure waiting a year would be provide a drastically different outcome.

Regarding your loans: if they're all federal, you should be abel to put them in forbearance for up to three years simply by checking a box that says you are experiencing financial hardship. You'll accrue interest during this time, but you won't go delinquent. This is different from going into deferral, when I believe you don't accrue interest but must have a qualifying reason like going to grad school. Americorps may actually put you in the latter category.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby CG614 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 am

clintonius wrote:I thought the confidence interval for LSAT was +/- three points. Also, the OP went 166 to 171. Either way, it's still not as strong as a 171 on the first take. OP, I'd say your cycle wasn't bad, all things considered. My numbers are ever so slightly higher than yours (172 first time/3.8), I applied slightly later than you, and with the exception of an NYU acceptance, our outcomes look similar at the places we both applied (I was WL to accept at Georgetown WITHOUT money, waitlisted at CLS, UVA and Duke, rejected at Boalt, and haven't heard back from Chicago). I'm not sure waiting a year would be provide a drastically different outcome.

Regarding your loans: if they're all federal, you should be abel to put them in forbearance for up to three years simply by checking a box that says you are experiencing financial hardship. You'll accrue interest during this time, but you won't go delinquent. This is different from going into deferral, when I believe you don't accrue interest but must have a qualifying reason like going to grad school. Americorps may actually put you in the latter category.

All valid points. Ha, so maybe my analysis wasn't the best. OP saying "worst cycle in history" is a little annoying.

and the beast
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Worst Cycle in History?

Postby and the beast » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:40 am

CCN wrote:
CG614 wrote:OP, whatever you do, please don't come to CLS. Please keep your melodramatic self at G-Town. Yes, the only explaination that fits is that your Recs got mixed up. Thanks.


OP presents dancing as a soft.

I allude to the fact that their app might have lacked substance due to weak softs.

OP assumes I hate people w/ cancer.


Now what's so overly dramatic about that???? This thread is exactly as advertised. Worst Cycle Ever!!!


I just literally LOL'ed at work.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 4 guests