What to do when your wait-listed?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
koehn2

What to do when your wait-listed?

Postby koehn2 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:17 pm

I am trying to get off the wait-list at one of my top choices. I have called a few times to get updates and such, but I have been told to call everyday. Is this really how you get off the wait-list? What do you say to them? There are only so many questions that I can make up to ask. I don't want to become annoying, but I don't know what else to do. Are these the right tactics to take? If not, what should I be doing? I have sent an extra letter of rec, updated transcript from last semester, and LOCI.

Roseland

Re: What to do when your wait-listed?

Postby Roseland » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:10 pm

The person who told you to call everyday was trying to get you off the waitlist :twisted: ...but not in a good way.
If you are serious about getting in off a waitlist...do not even consider this strategy. Send a LOCI, perhaps an additional letter of rec, do everything they ask in terms of essays or paperwork, visit again if possible, and make sure you have plan B firmly in place, because more than likely....Plan B is your reality. :(

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Also, learn the difference between "your" and "you're" while you're waiting.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm

nymario wrote:Also, learn the difference between "your" and "you're" while you're waiting.

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Whether it's douchy to point it out is open for debate. However, why risk sending a letter to the adcomm with a mistake that may automatically give the impression that you don't have a firm grasp of the english language? If I'm on the adcomm, I am already knocking someone down a peg for making that mistake, and it would do everyone well to be conscious of the difference if they want to be an effective communicator (which does have a bearing on getting off of a waitlist!).

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:20 pm

nymario wrote:Whether it's douchy to point it out is open for debate. However, why risk sending a letter to the adcomm with a mistake that may automatically give the impression that you don't have a firm grasp of the english language? If I'm on the adcomm, I am already knocking someone down a peg for making that mistake, and it would do everyone well to be conscious of the difference if they want to be an effective communicator (which does have a bearing on getting off of a waitlist!).

I highly doubt that the OP is approaching a Top Law Schools thread title with the same focus/editing as a letter to an adcomm. Cut OP a break. It was just a typo.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:26 pm

nymario wrote:Whether it's douchy to point it out is open for debate. However, why risk sending a letter to the adcomm with a mistake that may automatically give the impression that you don't have a firm grasp of the english language? If I'm on the adcomm, I am already knocking someone down a peg for making that mistake, and it would do everyone well to be conscious of the difference if they want to be an effective communicator (which does have a bearing on getting off of a waitlist!).

Look, you're new to TLS... so I'll cut you some slack. Around these parts, "whether its douchey to point it out" is not up for debate. People on these boards hate grammar Nazis, especially when they are nit-picking on the omission of one letter.

Just a friendly heads up as you go forward on TLS.

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 pm

koehn2 wrote:I am trying to get off the wait-list at one of my top choices. I have called a few times to get updates and such, but I have been told to call everyday. Is this really how you get off the wait-list? What do you say to them? There are only so many questions that I can make up to ask. I don't want to become annoying, but I don't know what else to do. Are these the right tactics to take? If not, what should I be doing? I have sent an extra letter of rec, updated transcript from last semester, and LOCI.

Take some advice from Asha, former dean of admissions at Yale Law: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

koehn2

Postby koehn2 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will try to be patient. As for the grammar mistake, my apologies. I did not mean to offend you with my poor grammar, and I will try to do better on future posts. I do, however, praise you for your outstanding prowess for grammar. I will let you know that I didn't make a grammar error on my LOCI that I am aware of. I did have it reviewed by an English major, but given your mastery of the English language you are more than welcome to read it and get back to me! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”