Waitlisted at Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chadwick218

Re: Waitlisted at Northwestern 2010

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:06 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Ace4Wins wrote:Orientation for 1Ls started today at Northwestern. I'm feeling pretty deflated ...

Er, no. It starts Monday.

Nancy, is there anyways that you can show up on Monday and try to speak with admissions. I know two ppl who did this on the day of admissions and ending up being admitted. We had 4-5 ppl who ended up getting off the WL at other schools during orientation week.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:15 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Ace4Wins wrote:Orientation for 1Ls started today at Northwestern. I'm feeling pretty deflated ...

Nancy, is there anyways that you can show up on Monday and try to speak with admissions. I know two ppl who did this on the day of admissions and ending up being admitted. We had 4-5 ppl who ended up getting off the WL at other schools during orientation week.

I actually met with someone the other day. They know I would attend no matter what.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

not for URMs. slightly less amusing than segregated ASW, lol

Ace4Wins

Postby Ace4Wins » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Interesting. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... _calendar/

My hope is slightly renewed based on the content of the last few posts.

AJO83

Postby AJO83 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

I just called NU and the guy I spoke to noted chances are slim for movement as of now. For there to be selection from the waitlist now, there would have to be people at orientation deciding that they didn't want to be in class a week.

I am without words. I had planned on trying to track up to the university sometime this week but according to the guy answering the phone it seems it would be fruitless. The most frustrating part is that this guy answering the phone is obivously a student with no really authority or information. So, I don't know what to do now. I had planned on taking the test again this fall but I have not really being studying all that hard and now I don't feel the drive to push for it in such a short amount of time. This is trully a struggle as I know there are many feeling the same way.

mte84

Postby mte84 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:52 am

Well, one thing is for sure- they didn't make their 20-25% figure in the letter. (Given the assumption that the waitlist only moved when they tweeted that "a small number" of waitlist decisions have been made.) Like many other schools this cycle, Northwestern probably misjudged how many to put on a waitlist. After waiting for months, it really makes you appreciate the schools that just openly rejected you. Good luck to all!

patentThis

Postby patentThis » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:18 pm

And its over...
Sourced from Northwestern Law Admissions Blog

08/26/2010
When the wait is over
Patience is a virtue -- one that all of our waitlisters have in spades. It's been a long summer of refreshing in-boxes and stalking Twitter; unfortunately, it's all officially come to an end. With the beginning of orientation and the check-in process complete, we will be bidding adieu to our ever so patient (for the most part) waitlisters early next week. However, this isn't necessarily the end of our relationship with you. Yes, it's true, there are still more opportunities ahead.

Opportunity #1: Re-application

If you didn't matriculate at a law school this year, you have the option of re-applying to Northwestern Law.

For those of you thinking, "That's nice, but how do I know what I need to fix in my application?", stay tuned to this blog for some helpful hints, which will hopefully give you the extra oomph you need. Until then, here are a few quick tips to help get the ball rolling:

Applications will go live September 1. Apply early, as the earlier you turn in your application, the more seats there are available in the class.
Interview either on or off campus. We say it's highly recommended for a reason.
Look out for the aforementioned blog post. Submitting the same application year after year isn't good for anyone involved.
Opportunity #2: Apply as a Transfer

If you have matriculated at another law school, but Northwestern is where you would ultimately like to be, then applying as a transfer student is for you. We put up a handy dandy transfer post earlier this season, which will give you a good idea of what you need to do in your 1L year to have a successful transfer application.

Thanks again to all of our waitlisters, we wish you all good luck in either your first year of law school or in the application process!
Last edited by patentThis on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 pm

patentThis wrote:And its over...

08/26/2010
When the wait is over
Patience is a virtue -- one that all of our waitlisters have in spades. It's been a long summer of refreshing in-boxes and stalking Twitter; unfortunately, it's all officially come to an end. With the beginning of orientation and the check-in process complete, we will be bidding adieu to our ever so patient (for the most part) waitlisters early next week. However, this isn't necessarily the end of our relationship with you. Yes, it's true, there are still more opportunities ahead.

If you didn't matriculate at a law school this year, you have the option of re-applying to Northwestern Law.

For those of you thinking, "That's nice, but how do I know what I need to fix in my application?", stay tuned to this blog for some helpful hints, which will hopefully give you the extra oomph you need. Until then, here are a few quick tips to help get the ball rolling:

Applications will go live September 1. Apply early, as the earlier you turn in your application, the more seats there are available in the class.
Look out for the aforementioned blog post. Submitting the same application year after year isn't good for anyone involved.

If you have matriculated at another law school, but Northwestern is where you would ultimately like to be, then applying as a transfer student is for you. We put up a handy dandy transfer post earlier this season, which will give you a good idea of what you need to do in your 1L year to have a successful transfer application.

Thanks again to all of our waitlisters, we wish you all good luck in either your first year of law school or in the application process!

Weird, I didn't get this email and on the form I opted to stay on the WL until Sep 1.

Granted, I started at Cornell Law this week, so it's largely moot, but I expected to hear if anything happened to the NW WL.

Postby 734 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:18 pm

That post was from their admissions blog (the link was 'tweeted' to those following NU law on twitter). I have heard that the official WL release will come on / slightly after Monday when classes begin. The blog posting seems to indicate rather clearly that they're not planning on extending any further WL offers. I'm expecting my official release letter sometime next week. Best of luck to all, wherever you end up.

Ace4Wins

Postby Ace4Wins » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:26 am

Good luck at Cornell Law. I graduated from Cornell in 2008 and attended the ILR School. Cornell truly is a magical place. The friends I made there and professors in the ILR School awakened my mind in a profound way. While Northwestern is great for corporate law and a big city atmosphere, there are very few campuses as beautiful as Cornell and as well connected with NYC. Although the significance of going to an Ivy League school seems to be relatively unimportant in the law school application process and far more helpful in the business world, they were the best four years of my life and I hope you enjoy it. Hail all hail Cornell!

AdamatUCF wrote:
patentThis wrote:And its over...

08/26/2010
When the wait is over

Weird, I didn't get this email and on the form I opted to stay on the WL until Sep 1.

Granted, I started at Cornell Law this week, so it's largely moot, but I expected to hear if anything happened to the NW WL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”