Waitlisted at Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MeredithGrey

Re: Waitlisted at Northwestern 2010

Postby MeredithGrey » Tue May 18, 2010 3:27 pm

sub25 LSAT, high 75th GPA, already have a professional degree

noname4

Postby noname4 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Ugh, not what I was hoping for! Hope they aren't looking exclusively for high gpa splitters...

But again, congrats.

patentThis

Postby patentThis » Tue May 18, 2010 3:44 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:sub25 LSAT, high 75th GPA, already have a professional degree

Is there a date to deposit listed on the acceptance?

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Tue May 18, 2010 4:04 pm

I called the office and it is real. I guess they are accepting off the waitlist by email. The email doesn't have a date to deposit by (I'm assuming it's around two weeks or so). It says I will be getting a admitted students portfolio in the coming weeks.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 pm

noname4 wrote:Ugh, not what I was hoping for! Hope they aren't looking exclusively for high gpa splitters...

But again, congrats.

+1. Although, I'm honestly not sure how I made the WL cut at all. Softs, maybe?

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Tue May 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Their Twitter page reads: We're sending out both Initial and Waitlist JD decisions today; keep an eye on your email!

I checked my status checker and it still says waitlist. :(

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 pm

dreaming wrote:Their Twitter page reads: We're sending out both Initial and Waitlist JD decisions today; keep an eye on your email!

Sometimes they tweet after they've already sent them, so I'm guessing MeredithGrey was one of the ones they meant.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 pm

noname4 wrote:Ugh, not what I was hoping for! Hope they aren't looking exclusively for high gpa splitters...

But again, congrats.

I agree. Both with the congratulations, as well as with the hope that they aren't looking exclusively for high GPAs. :-P

This reminded me to finally send in my response, even though my LOCI isn't quite done yet. The LOCI can wait a few days, while this can not.

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
dreaming wrote:Their Twitter page reads: We're sending out both Initial and Waitlist JD decisions today; keep an eye on your email!

Sometimes they tweet after they've already sent them, so I'm guessing MeredithGrey was one of the ones they meant.

Sigh. But congrats to MeredithGrey!

noname4

Postby noname4 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Well, lets hope that "keep an eye on your email" means that they aren't done for the day... inherently it would make sense that they are going to be sending them out subsequently, not that they have already done so.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Tue May 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

Sorry I missed the other question about whether I was held first. I was quite a late applicant so I was never held first. I was straight waitlisted.

The financial aid letter I just received an hour or so ago also said there is no aid left, and everything will pretty much be loans.

Also I checked my status checker and a new letter is uploaded. That letter says to submit a $750 deposit by June 1.

Does anyone know if most schools make you withdraw from other waiting lists THIS application cycle for deferring? I withdrew from Georgetown because they said I had to commit for 2011 and I wanted to ride a few of my waiting lists because I felt it was still early and I had a chance at some of my preferred schools. Now it's getting later, so I am not sure how realistic it is for me to get in off any other waiting lists.

By the way, because of my schedule, I wasnt able to make it out to interview and thought my chances of acceptance without an interview would be slim, but I am pleasantly surprised!

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am

I'm vaguely starting to cross the line from interested to stalker. That is to say, I send a FOURTH LOCI today. I have issues.

peeker82

Postby peeker82 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 am

danidancer wrote:I'm vaguely starting to cross the line from interested to stalker. That is to say, I send a FOURTH LOCI today. I have issues.

did you have anything new to report? or was it a 2-liner indicating your interest and that you will sell your soul to the devil for a spot?

noname4

Postby noname4 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:39 am

MeredithGrey wrote:Thanks for the congrats everyone!

Sorry I missed the other question about whether I was held first. I was quite a late applicant so I was never held first. I was straight waitlisted.

The financial aid letter I just received an hour or so ago also said there is no aid left, and everything will pretty much be loans.

Also I checked my status checker and a new letter is uploaded. That letter says to submit a $750 deposit by June 1.

Does anyone know if most schools make you withdraw from other waiting lists THIS application cycle for deferring? I withdrew from Georgetown because they said I had to commit for 2011 and I wanted to ride a few of my waiting lists because I felt it was still early and I had a chance at some of my preferred schools. Now it's getting later, so I am not sure how realistic it is for me to get in off any other waiting lists.

By the way, because of my schedule, I wasnt able to make it out to interview and thought my chances of acceptance without an interview would be slim, but I am pleasantly surprised!

Meredith, check Northwestern's policy, although I doubt they make you withdraw from other waitlists if you would like to defer. There has been very little waitlist action in the T14, and I fear that may be the way it is through the summer. Waiting it out obviously doesn't hurt, though, if NU allows it.

That being said, if you aren't crazy about Northwestern, just reapply EARLY next year to your top choices (and do early action program(s) if available). Waiting til late in the cycle probably hurt you slightly, and I would doubt next year's cycle will be more competitive than this one, although it is always possible I suppose.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed May 19, 2010 12:21 pm

peeker82 wrote:
danidancer wrote:I'm vaguely starting to cross the line from interested to stalker. That is to say, I send a FOURTH LOCI today. I have issues.

did you have anything new to report? or was it a 2-liner indicating your interest and that you will sell your soul to the devil for a spot?

Well I was put in hold way back in February, so it's not like the letters weren't spread out. Without giving anything away, it was definitely different from my prior letters, not just a rehash. I've previously sent updates, expanded upon details in my resume, rehashed my "why Northwestern" essay, etc. This one brought in new things I haven't said before and, I think, put everything I feel about NU on the line. We'll see. At this point I now know for sure that I've done absolutely everything I can do.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Wed May 19, 2010 2:02 pm

danidancer wrote:
peeker82 wrote:

Well I was put in hold way back in February, so it's not like the letters weren't spread out. Without giving anything away, it was definitely different from my prior letters, not just a rehash. I've previously sent updates, expanded upon details in my resume, rehashed my "why Northwestern" essay, etc. This one brought in new things I haven't said before and, I think, put everything I feel about NU on the line. We'll see. At this point I now know for sure that I've done absolutely everything I can do.

i recently sent a fourth too. my hope is fading. :(

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:i recently sent a fourth too. my hope is fading. :(

Did you apply for the JD/PhD and JD or just the combo.

Dimsdale

Postby Dimsdale » Thu May 20, 2010 5:00 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:Thanks for the congrats everyone!

Did you visit the school?

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Fri May 21, 2010 12:11 am

No I knew it would be tough for me to get away for an interview so I wrote on my application that I would not be able to interview.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon May 24, 2010 6:02 pm

So when do we think we might start seeing some movement? Any hints? Sorry if we've discussed this already, but I'm on so many WLs it's hard to keep track of everything (which actually makes it easier when nothing happens).

peeker82

Postby peeker82 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:So when do we think we might start seeing some movement? Any hints? Sorry if we've discussed this already, but I'm on so many WLs it's hard to keep track of everything (which actually makes it easier when nothing happens).

do we know if NUrequests a second deposit by June 15th? If so, we should expect some movement soon after that date right?
Last edited by peeker82 on Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cube

Postby Cube » Fri May 28, 2010 9:51 am

Anyone heard anything recently?

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Fri May 28, 2010 10:29 am

Cube wrote:Anyone heard anything recently?

Nope. :( Maybe there will be some movement today...?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:44 am

peeker82 wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:So when do we think we might start seeing some movement? Any hints? Sorry if we've discussed this already, but I'm on so many WLs it's hard to keep track of everything (which actually makes it easier when nothing happens).

do we know if NUrequests a second deposit by June 15th? If so, we should expect some movement soon after that date right?

They do not. Only one deposit date. You'll probably see slow movement as NU depositees get pulled off better schools WL's.

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 am

Northwestern tweeted an hour ago: We have a small batch of JD Waitlist decisions going out today. Please check your email!

Do you think these emails already went out??? :cry:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”