Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sias

Bronze

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Post by Sias » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 pm

andyman wrote:Hey guys...I typed up this email to my counselor but I'm not sure if some of the stuff I ask is appropriate. Can some of you people who have experience emailing admissions counselors read this and critique it?

I am emailing you to inquire about Rutgers-Camden's wait-list process. Before I do, however, I would like to express my gratitude to the admissions committee for keeping me in consideration to gain admittance into your law school. After I read the email informing me that I was put on the wait-list, I excused myself from court to call my mother and tell her the good news (and what being wait-listed means). Rutgers-Camden was a school in particular that I had hoped would recognize what I have to offer. I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I am prepared to do everything that is necessary to justify the low score. I have a few questions for you that will give me a better idea on how to overcome the wait-list.

If I took the June LSAT, could a higher score (of about 5-10 points) help get me off of the wait-list faster than if I did not take the LSAT? Will a June LSAT score be used to help determine my wait-list ranking?

As you may know from my application, I am currently interning with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia. I am about to reach the conclusion of my internship, and I plan on receiving 2-3 letters of recommendation. Does the admissions committee have a limit on how many letters of recommendation that can be sent from a single internship?

I have drafted many motions, and briefed countless cases at my present internship. I am aware of how prestigious Rutgers-Camden's legal writing program is. So could some of my work be submitted to my file as evidence of my legal writing ability? I could have the attorney's who I wrote them for sign a release if necessary.

What percentage of students are generally admitted from the wait-list?

Do you have any suggestions that could help my chances of being taken off of the wait-list? And could you reveal what parts of my application the admissions committee found weak?

Thank you for your time,
Why would you even ask if a boost of 5-10 points on your LSAT would work in your favor? I mean, you might as well ask, "I don't really feel like putting forth the effort to improve my sub-par score, so what are the chances I'm able to slide by with what I already have? As you can probably tell, I'm committed to doing whatever it takes to get off of this wait list, provided that 'whatever it takes' involves doing nothing at all."

Furthermore, your punctuation is sloppy in places.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:22 pm

andyman wrote:I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I am prepared to do everything that is necessary to justify the low score.
I think you should not talk about re-taking the LSAT. I think instead you should talk about why you're a great candidate in spite of your score. Admitting you feel capable of doing much better really just begs the question of why you didn't take the test seriously the first time around. If you have a legitimate excuse for the poor score, I'd disregard what I wrote above, and try to make them aware of that. Also, everything I've read about law school admissions leads me to believe that schools are pretty unsympathetic one being a bad test taker or having not finished.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Sias wrote:
andyman wrote:Hey guys...I typed up this email to my counselor but I'm not sure if some of the stuff I ask is appropriate. Can some of you people who have experience emailing admissions counselors read this and critique it?

I am emailing you to inquire about Rutgers-Camden's wait-list process. Before I do, however, I would like to express my gratitude to the admissions committee for keeping me in consideration to gain admittance into your law school. After I read the email informing me that I was put on the wait-list, I excused myself from court to call my mother and tell her the good news (and what being wait-listed means). Rutgers-Camden was a school in particular that I had hoped would recognize what I have to offer. I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I am prepared to do everything that is necessary to justify the low score. I have a few questions for you that will give me a better idea on how to overcome the wait-list.

If I took the June LSAT, could a higher score (of about 5-10 points) help get me off of the wait-list faster than if I did not take the LSAT? Will a June LSAT score be used to help determine my wait-list ranking?

As you may know from my application, I am currently interning with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia. I am about to reach the conclusion of my internship, and I plan on receiving 2-3 letters of recommendation. Does the admissions committee have a limit on how many letters of recommendation that can be sent from a single internship?

I have drafted many motions, and briefed countless cases at my present internship. I am aware of how prestigious Rutgers-Camden's legal writing program is. So could some of my work be submitted to my file as evidence of my legal writing ability? I could have the attorney's who I wrote them for sign a release if necessary.

What percentage of students are generally admitted from the wait-list?

Do you have any suggestions that could help my chances of being taken off of the wait-list? And could you reveal what parts of my application the admissions committee found weak?

Thank you for your time,

Furthermore, your punctuation is sloppy in places.

Where is my punctuation sloppy?

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm

merichard87 wrote:Actually I am pretty sure that paragraph can be considered an LOCI. Email them and ask about the LSAT score and LORs seperately and if they reply in the affirmative submit the first paragraph as an LOCI with the LORs and a sentence stating that you are taking the June LSAT.

I emailed my counselor asking about if they accept the June LSAT and they never responded despite me receiving a "read" receipt. Can I contact them again in the future? Maybe the counselor felt that I should have emailed admissions regarding that question and not them.

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:00 pm

andyman wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Actually I am pretty sure that paragraph can be considered an LOCI. Email them and ask about the LSAT score and LORs seperately and if they reply in the affirmative submit the first paragraph as an LOCI with the LORs and a sentence stating that you are taking the June LSAT.

I emailed my counselor asking about if they accept the June LSAT and they never responded despite me receiving a "read" receipt. Can I contact them again in the future? Maybe the counselor felt that I should have emailed admissions regarding that question and not them.
I think you should just arrange a visit to the school where you could possibly ask an admission counselor to explain their waitlist process. After the visit, I would then compose a very simple LOCI where you express your desire to attend if admitted. I would them follow up a few days later to see if they have received the letter.

I think anything more and it might become a bit much BUT then again I am no expert.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IHeartPhilly

New

Post by IHeartPhilly » Fri May 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Last edited by IHeartPhilly on Tue May 22, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 pm

This thread is hilarious. :wink:

P.S. Check the profile.

Harlyn

New

Post by Harlyn » Fri May 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Failed troll is a failure.

IHeartPhilly