Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey guys,

I was shocked this morning when RU camden informed me that I was waitlisted. They said that they were impressed particularly by my personal statement. I am wrapping up my internship with an Attorney General's office, and hope to have 2 solid letters of recommendation to add to my file. I also plan on sending them an updated transcript, which will only help my GPA by fractions. I also plan on sending my counselor an email expressing my joy about being waitlisted and telling them how much I want to go to their school.

Anyway, given my low numbers, what else can I do besides that? Is being waitlisted even something to be proud of? Does anybody know what percentage of waitlistees normally gain acceptance? The waitlist rankings do not come out until July 1st. What information will the rankings reveal to me?

Thx guys :!:

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby Columbia Law » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Retake LSAT. ANYONE can raise their LSAT above 148. It's not hard. Do it and then you will be in a better position. Rutgers is a good value. Start studying now.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Retake LSAT. ANYONE can raise their LSAT above 148. It's not hard. Do it and then you will be in a better position. Rutgers is a good value. Start studying now.



Take the June LSAT you mean? I know that I can definitely do better, but are you advising me to take a year off and raise my LSAT? I can finish my undergrad with a 3.0, and I am confident that with more time to study I can get at least a 155.

My only problem exists with taking a year off. My goal is to get into a school like Rutgers and transfer after 1L

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Never go to a school with the intent of transferring.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:22 pm

holybartender wrote:Never go to a school with the intent of transferring.


Why?

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:24 pm

andyman wrote:
holybartender wrote:Never go to a school with the intent of transferring.


Why?


Because what are you going to do if you don't get top 10 percent to transfer to the school you want out of Rutgers? Are you going to drop out? If you can't see yourself graduating from there then don't go. 1L grades, while not random, are pretty difficult to bank on.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm

holybartender wrote:
andyman wrote:
holybartender wrote:Never go to a school with the intent of transferring.


Why?


Because what are you going to do if you don't get top 10 percent to transfer to the school you want out of Rutgers? Are you going to drop out? If you can't see yourself graduating from there then don't go. 1L grades, while not random, are pretty difficult to bank on.


This. Everyone goes into 1L with the intention of being in the top 10% of their class.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 pm

andyman wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:Retake LSAT. ANYONE can raise their LSAT above 148. It's not hard. Do it and then you will be in a better position. Rutgers is a good value. Start studying now.



Take the June LSAT you mean? I know that I can definitely do better, but are you advising me to take a year off and raise my LSAT? I can finish my undergrad with a 3.0, and I am confident that with more time to study I can get at least a 155.

My only problem exists with taking a year off. My goal is to get into a school like Rutgers and transfer after 1L


I think what he is saying is see if Rutgers will take a June LSAT score and getting hire then a 148 (which you should be able to do) will go very far in getting you off the WL

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Audrey Hepburn is hot. Listen to her.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:28 pm

and LSAT is the best indicator of how you'll do your first year... might not be that accurate but its the best from all the other choices.... and with a 148? even so with a 155.....

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
holybartender wrote:
andyman wrote:
holybartender wrote:Never go to a school with the intent of transferring.


Why?


Because what are you going to do if you don't get top 10 percent to transfer to the school you want out of Rutgers? Are you going to drop out? If you can't see yourself graduating from there then don't go. 1L grades, while not random, are pretty difficult to bank on.


This. Everyone goes into 1L with the intention of being in the top 10% of their class.



I wouldnt mind going to RU Law School though. I've lived in NJ all my life, and I went to RU undergrad. Plus the low tuition is a godsend. So to be honest, it's not like I'm forcing myself to go to Rutgers. It's just always been a dream of mine to attend a prestigious law school, but at the same time I should be grateful that I even got waitlisted to RU with that LSAT (even though I have unique softs, full time work experience through college, first generation immigrant with parents who have zero education, and a fluency in 3 languages).

My fear about taking a year off is that I won't make a substantial enough jump on my LSAT to attend a prestigious law school. If I get my LSAT up high enough to be able to go to Wake Forest or American, it really won't be worth it because the tuition would rape me. I really want to start being able to support my family, which is why I can't afford to extend my education by yet another year.

That is why I am focusing all my energy on getting into Rutgers now. As much as I'd love to go to Harvard, NYU, or GTown, I also have to be realistic and continue to move on and try and perhaps get to that level while I'm in law school.

So, can you guys please critique what I just had to say? You guys know better than me, but does your opinion on my position change now?

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:40 pm

underachiever wrote:
andyman wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:Retake LSAT. ANYONE can raise their LSAT above 148. It's not hard. Do it and then you will be in a better position. Rutgers is a good value. Start studying now.



Take the June LSAT you mean? I know that I can definitely do better, but are you advising me to take a year off and raise my LSAT? I can finish my undergrad with a 3.0, and I am confident that with more time to study I can get at least a 155.

My only problem exists with taking a year off. My goal is to get into a school like Rutgers and transfer after 1L


I think what he is saying is see if Rutgers will take a June LSAT score and getting hire then a 148 (which you should be able to do) will go very far in getting you off the WL



I see. Ok I will contact them and ask them since some schools don't accept the June LSAT.

Does anybody happen to know whether or now RU-C accepts the June LSAT? I know that Newark doesnt...

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey guys...I typed up this email to my counselor but I'm not sure if some of the stuff I ask is appropriate. Can some of you people who have experience emailing admissions counselors read this and critique it?

I am emailing you to inquire about Rutgers-Camden's wait-list process. Before I do, however, I would like to express my gratitude to the admissions committee for keeping me in consideration to gain admittance into your law school. After I read the email informing me that I was put on the wait-list, I excused myself from court to call my mother and tell her the good news (and what being wait-listed means). Rutgers-Camden was a school in particular that I had hoped would recognize what I have to offer. I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I am prepared to do everything that is necessary to justify the low score. I have a few questions for you that will give me a better idea on how to overcome the wait-list.

If I took the June LSAT, could a higher score (of about 5-10 points) help get me off of the wait-list faster than if I did not take the LSAT? Will a June LSAT score be used to help determine my wait-list ranking?

As you may know from my application, I am currently interning with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia. I am about to reach the conclusion of my internship, and I plan on receiving 2-3 letters of recommendation. Does the admissions committee have a limit on how many letters of recommendation that can be sent from a single internship?

I have drafted many motions, and briefed countless cases at my present internship. I am aware of how prestigious Rutgers-Camden's legal writing program is. So could some of my work be submitted to my file as evidence of my legal writing ability? I could have the attorney's who I wrote them for sign a release if necessary.

What percentage of students are generally admitted from the wait-list?

Do you have any suggestions that could help my chances of being taken off of the wait-list? And could you reveal what parts of my application the admissions committee found weak?


Thank you for your time,

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby merichard87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:12 pm

andyman wrote:Hey guys...I typed up this email to my counselor but I'm not sure if some of the stuff I ask is appropriate. Can some of you people who have experience emailing admissions counselors read this and critique it?

I am emailing you to inquire about Rutgers-Camden's wait-list process. Before I do, however, I would like to express my gratitude to the admissions committee for keeping me in consideration to gain admittance into your law school. After I read the email informing me that I was put on the wait-list, I excused myself from court to call my mother and tell her the good news (and what being wait-listed means). Rutgers-Camden was a school in particular that I had hoped would recognize what I have to offer. I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I am prepared to do everything that is necessary to justify the low score. I have a few questions for you that will give me a better idea on how to overcome the wait-list.

If I took the June LSAT, could a higher score (of about 5-10 points) help get me off of the wait-list faster than if I did not take the LSAT? Will a June LSAT score be used to help determine my wait-list ranking?

As you may know from my application, I am currently interning with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia. I am about to reach the conclusion of my internship, and I plan on receiving 2-3 letters of recommendation. Does the admissions committee have a limit on how many letters of recommendation that can be sent from a single internship?

I have drafted many motions, and briefed countless cases at my present internship. I am aware of how prestigious Rutgers-Camden's legal writing program is. So could some of my work be submitted to my file as evidence of my legal writing ability? I could have the attorney's who I wrote them for sign a release if necessary.

What percentage of students are generally admitted from the wait-list?

Do you have any suggestions that could help my chances of being taken off of the wait-list? And could you reveal what parts of my application the admissions committee found weak?


Thank you for your time,


Your questions are too specific. They will not tell you that getting a higher LSAT WILL get you off the waitlist. If they do accept the June LSAT all they will say is that it will be taken into consideration.

Why do you need 2-3 LORs from the same job? Why not just get 1 that can really speak about you?

As far as I know it is frowned upon to submit extra paperwork with applications otherwise everybody would be sending in their dissertations. Just have one of those LOR writers speak about your writing abilities.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks for the input. I will change it to 1-2 letters then. One from the Deputy, and a really good one. I don't see how asking for 2 would hurt. I will amend the LSAT section, thank you for that.

What about the opening paragraph? Too cheesy?

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby merichard87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Actually I am pretty sure that paragraph can be considered an LOCI. Email them and ask about the LSAT score and LORs seperately and if they reply in the affirmative submit the first paragraph as an LOCI with the LORs and a sentence stating that you are taking the June LSAT.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby JOThompson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Retake the LSAT in June. Even with marginal preparation, you should see a decent increase. Get the PowerScore books and a few practice tests. Visit the school if you have't already done so. Write some meaningful letters of continued interest and forward those new LORs. Good luck!

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 pm

merichard87 wrote:Actually I am pretty sure that paragraph can be considered an LOCI. Email them and ask about the LSAT score and LORs seperately and if they reply in the affirmative submit the first paragraph as an LOCI with the LORs and a sentence stating that you are taking the June LSAT.


I'm not sure I understand this :?

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Never mind, I think I may understand. You are advising me to send an email asking if they accept the June LSAT, right? And then at a later date ask them about the LORs. If they respond yes to both, then send the first paragraph and at the end mention that I am going to take the June LSAT. Right?

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby merichard87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:01 am

Exactly! but you don't have to ask about the LSAT and LORs seperately.

Edit: When I originally said ask seperately I meant ask about the LSAT and LOR b4 you send the paragraph.
Last edited by merichard87 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NYCbound96
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby NYCbound96 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:10 am

My boyfriend received the same letter today, even down to the detail about them liking his personal statement. He's above your numbers, but not within theirs, so I'm getting the distinct sense that this is a cookie cutter letter that they're sending out right now to anyone they haven't made a final decision on yet.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:17 am

Columbia Law wrote:Retake LSAT. ANYONE can raise their LSAT above 148. It's not hard. Do it and then you will be in a better position. Rutgers is a good value. Start studying now.


Nice call on the Michael Imperioli TAR. "No see, I thought you said 'I was alright Spider'."

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby jdhopeful11 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 am

NYCbound96 wrote:My boyfriend received the same letter today, even down to the detail about them liking his personal statement. He's above your numbers, but not within theirs, so I'm getting the distinct sense that this is a cookie cutter letter that they're sending out right now to anyone they haven't made a final decision on yet.



It is definitely a cookie cutter letter, but what part of our application that impressed them is like them saying what our strong point is.

How long should I wait in between sending them the email about LORS and LSAT (which is going in 1 email if I'm not mistaken) and LOCi? Hours? Days?

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby merichard87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 am

I don't think theres a specific science to this. Whenever you get everything together.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Check on LSN. Even if you are a URM, you need to get your LSAT up; otherwise, based on past cycles, it looks like a soft rejection.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, chili_davis, danid83, godinacup, Keilz, lawdude31, Smallville, stratton_oakmont, Thelaw23, TudoBem and 34 guests