ADVICE NEEDED- is St. Johns free ride a really bad idea? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawskan

New

ADVICE NEEDED- is St. Johns free ride a really bad idea?

Post by lawskan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Considering the jump in rankings and that I need to stay in NY?

publiusjr

New

Re: ADVICE NEEDED- is St. Johns free ride a really bad idea?

Post by publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm

depends what your looking for. SJU has a great alumini network especially in politics and judicial. Mario Cuomo, Ray Kelly, Charlie Rangal, Ron Brown are so alumni I could think of off the top of my head.

lawskan

New

Post by lawskan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 am

how does one properly balance on the one hand having a full scholarship from a school with an excellent alumnus base (St. Johns) vs. a much higher ranked, albeit it much more expensive school?

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:02 pm

where are you looking to practice? What are you looking to do? If you want to be a judge or in government SJU is great. I must say over my years in private sector, SJU and Brooklyn law put out some really great attorneys. Unless you are going to NYU or Columbia. Don't think SJU can't help you succeed in the tri-state area.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 pm

publiusjr wrote:depends what your looking for. SJU has a great alumini network ... Charlie Rangal
Uhh I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 pm

he is well-known but I get it. lol I knew I would never get by using his name.

One other thing, if you can get into Fordham. Take that.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Its a personal decision. It depends on how risk averse you are and what you consider a risk. Personally, I hate debt. Also I am married and didn't think it was fair to expect my partner to deal with law school loans. In a vaguely similar situation (although my full scholarship offer was at a TTTT), I took the money. It was a part time program (so I could continue working).

I weighted the costs (potentially not getting the job I want when I finish) against the benefits (instead of debt, I will keep making 90k a year while in school). I like my current job and could keep it, so I'm not concerned about finding a job when I graduate. There were few risks and many rewards for taking the TTTT w/ scholarship offer. If I wanted big law, then the TTTT would probably not get me there. The "risk" of attending law school for four years to end up in a job I hated that didn't pay well might have outweighted the benefit of knowing I would have no debt.

Think about where you want to be (what job, what salary, what level of debt, what lifestyle, which peers). Think about if the school you are attending can get you there. Personally, I would take the scholarship.

lawskan

New

Post by lawskan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks guys, just grappling with the decision.

I am most likely going to be in NY for a while post school so I guess there's no CLEAR wrong answer in this equation. I know in neither school am I guaranteed anything but am I safe in assuming that if I stay at top 10%(15%) of any (besides maybe Columbia and NYU) school in NY that I'd be alright, for mid-Biglaw.

I do appreciate the insight(s)
Last edited by lawskan on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 pm

lawskan wrote:how does one properly balance on the one hand having a full scholarship from a school with an excellent alumnus base (St. Johns) vs. a much higher ranked, albeit it much more expensive school?
I think it depends on what you want to do, and where you want to do it. If your goal is to rake in big bucks from big law, then you are obligated to go with the much higher rank. If you want to do local law in your area, or public interest, then go with the debt free life.

Note: If you can get into the T14, or even better T6, the calculus changes a little bit towards going to the higher ranked school, even if you want to do law in your region/PI law. Remember, you can always IBR that shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 pm

it really just depends. If you want to do Government, be a judge, or Real estate I would say SJU.
If you want to do criminal law, Brooklyn Law has some very good alumni including Jerry Shargel who go back and teach.
It depends. You will be fine at either school if you work hard.
Like I said, NYU and Columbia then Fordham and then BL nad SJU.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 pm

nahgems wrote:Its a personal decision. It depends on how risk averse you are and what you consider a risk. Personally, I hate debt. Also I am married and didn't think it was fair to expect my partner to deal with law school loans. In a vaguely similar situation (although my full scholarship offer was at a TTTT), I took the money. It was a part time program (so I could continue working).

I weighted the costs (potentially not getting the job I want when I finish) against the benefits (instead of debt, I will keep making 90k a year while in school). I like my current job and could keep it, so I'm not concerned about finding a job when I graduate. There were few risks and many rewards for taking the TTTT w/ scholarship offer. If I wanted big law, then the TTTT would probably not get me there. The "risk" of attending law school for four years to end up in a job I hated that didn't pay well might have outweighted the benefit of knowing I would have no debt.

Think about where you want to be (what job, what salary, what level of debt, what lifestyle, which peers). Think about if the school you are attending can get you there. Personally, I would take the scholarship.
+1. Sounds like you made a smart decision.

lawskan

New

Post by lawskan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am

Does anybody know if firms really care that much when you say you got a full scholarship somewhere? If so, how much?

For example would a full scholarship at a lower ranked school sound better than no scholarship at a better ranked school. Assuming both are at the top of the class.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:30 am

lawskan wrote:Does anybody know if firms really care that much when you say you got a full scholarship somewhere? If so, how much?

For example would a full scholarship at a lower ranked school sound better than no scholarship at a better ranked school. Assuming both are at the top of the class.
I've never had anyone ask this. Then again i never had a scholorship either. Maybe yo0u put it on your resmue if you do. But from the jobs I have had this would mean squat to the employer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”