Villanova vs Temple

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
changeitup

Villanova vs Temple

Postby changeitup » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:59 pm

So after being set on going to Temple, I just got a letter from Villanova saying that I've been given a full scholarship. I also have a full scholarship at Temple, so I really don't know what to do in order to help with this decision. Are there any big differences between the two other than the fact that one is in the city and the other is in the suburbs? I do plan on staying in Philly in the future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

WithGrace23

Re: Villanova vs Temple

Postby WithGrace23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Congrats! That's great. Do you mind me asking what your stats are?

As far as difference between Villanova and Temple...

For NLJ250 Placement 2009 they are practically the same:
Villanova Ranked-40, placing 16.9% of grads
Temple Ranked-42 , placing 16.2% of grads

Villanova-Nicer Area, slightly higher ranked
Temple-Not so good area, better placement for Federal Clerkships (16 last year v. Villanova's 8 )

With a full scholarship at both you have some very nice options!
Last edited by WithGrace23 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:07 pm

changeitup wrote:So after being set on going to Temple, I just got a letter from Villanova saying that I've been given a full scholarship. I also have a full scholarship at Temple, so I really don't know what to do in order to help with this decision. Are there any big differences between the two other than the fact that one is in the city and the other is in the suburbs? I do plan on staying in Philly in the future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Villanova has better placement outside of Philly, a brand new $60M building, it's own parking garage and train station, COL is cheaper, and you're less likely to get shot on your way home.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:14 pm

lol shot on way home...

Not sure nova COL is that much cheaper as well...

Its a super expensive area that has little soul

It comes down to do you want to live in affluent suburbs and have amazing facilities
or live in the city....

any idea what type of law you might be interested- at this point Id probbers browse professors see if any strike you as super amazing and contact them..

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:29 pm

haha the "shot on your way home" thing cracked me up. but if I end up going there, I doubt I'll be out by myself at night. Hopefully that will help lol.

I'm leaning towards tax or patent law, actually. Thanks for the idea about looking up professors. I'll definitely do that!

As far as my stats go, I had a 167 and about a 3.6. I have some pretty strong softs which might have helped, too.

Thanks for the advice :) Does anyone else have anything to add?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 pm

I'd go with Villanova. I know both school very well and I visited both school in the last two years. I think with full rides I would pick Villanova over Temple. The prospects after school are similar, but it will be much more pleasant attending for 3 years at nova. The area is not cheap, but if you want to commute 15 minutes there are infinite options to consider in the surrounding towns to the north, south, or west. Most of them are affordable and safe. You would also be able to keep a car at nova which would be a plus getting around. The new building is nice. I don't know if you visited Temple but the building is pretty unimpressive. I think it will be very pleasant to spend 3 years for similar cost and prospects.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”