Sell me on American Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GentlemanJim

Bronze

Sell me on American

Post by GentlemanJim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Trying to decide between AU, South Carolina (w/money), or just waiting a year and applying elsewhere. I currently live and work in DC, but am from South Carolina and have extensive legal connections there. Basically, we're talking about a lot of debt v. no debt. Numbers are 165, 3.3. What would TLS do?

Generic20101L

Bronze

Re: Sell me on American

Post by Generic20101L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm in a similar position to you. In at SC, lived in Augusta for 4 years, like the area. Waitlisted at American, and some others I would go to over SC.

I have the GI Bill though, so my situation is a bit different.

I would tell you to retake. I'm honestly thinking about doing the same.

SC just doesn't excite me, and neither does American really.

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 pm

I think you are going to find it rare that someone on this board convinces you to go to AU, especially at sticker. I say take the money.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Sell me on American
No.

Huge 1L class size, financial aid is a joke, and D.C. has far better schools than American (which only has regional reach).

Take the money or wait a year and re-apply.

Good luck!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Sell me on American

No.
This is credited. Unless you wanna work for the government don't go to American.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm

If you need to be sold on American after being accepted, i.e. you should have done your research on the school before you even applied, then withdraw and give Gdane some more hope!

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. All very much appreciated.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 pm

You could do better with a 3.3/165. AU at sticker is weak sauce.

hoyasaxon

New

Post by hoyasaxon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 pm

you could also do worse; i dont really understand the anti-wcl sentiment here; i live in georgetown, dc, and i know that the WCL has a very very healthy reputation. not gw or georgetown, granted, but its number three in DC, ahead of Catholic, Howard, and UDC (are they still accredited? serious ?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 pm

ITT many people spout seemingly justified anti-AU hate without considering that the alternative is the University of South Carolina.

hoyasaxon

New

Post by hoyasaxon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

i completely agree; not exactly the vaunted "USC"

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

The alternative is waiting a year and reapplying. What's a University of South Carolina?

hoyasaxon

New

Post by hoyasaxon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:19 pm

i believe "gamecock"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:21 pm

tadams86 wrote:I think you are going to find it rare that someone on this board convinces you to go to AU, especially at sticker. I say take the money.
+100000000

having defended American on this board in the past, you are gonna find nothing but TLS hate.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank you Not a teabagger.

That being said, gentleman jim you said you were accepted off the waitlist, but now you are asking us to convince you to attend AU? Comeon! There are tons of other people that would love to go to AU and dont need it to be "sold" to them. The fact that you remained on the waitlist and then after being accepted you still dont know whether or not you want to go is just wrong. At this stage you should have done your research and decided where was best for you.

Go to AU if you want, if not decline the offer and give an opportunity to others that truly want to go to AU.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:27 pm

American at sticker =

--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:27 pm

That's a tough sell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WithGrace23

New

Post by WithGrace23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 pm

gdane5 wrote:Thank you Not a teabagger.

That being said, gentleman jim you said you were accepted off the waitlist, but now you are asking us to convince you to attend AU? Comeon! There are tons of other people that would love to go to AU and dont need it to be "sold" to them. The fact that you remained on the waitlist and then after being accepted you still dont know whether or not you want to go is just wrong. At this stage you should have done your research and decided where was best for you.

Go to AU if you want, if not decline the offer and give an opportunity to others that truly want to go to AU.
I don't think its wrong to remain on a wait list if you aren't 100% sure you want to go there.
I do think its wrong if your sure you don't want to go there.

When you get an acceptance, off a wait list, or any other time, you've got to weigh your options.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Ty Webb wrote:ITT many people spout seemingly justified anti-AU hate without considering that the alternative is the University of South Carolina.
There are people who like the state of South Carolina, and wouldn't mind living and practicing there. If OP is such a person, I'm not sure why South Carolina Law isn't a credited response -- especially since he can exploit his contacts there for professional opportunities.

Not everyone wants to chain themselves to the DC monster -- and it's not as if paying a king's ransom to AU offers an extra-special leg up. If OP can enjoy the quality of life he wants as a USC Law grad, God bless him.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:14 pm

There are people who like the state of South Carolina, and wouldn't mind living and practicing there. If OP is such a person, I'm not sure why South Carolina Law isn't a credited response -- especially since he can exploit his contacts there for professional opportunities.

Not everyone wants to chain themselves to the DC monster -- and it's not as if paying a king's ransom to AU offers an extra-special leg up. If OP can enjoy the quality of life he wants as a USC Law grad, God bless him.
+1

Funky are you going to ND? Even more reason I wanna be in!

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:ITT many people spout seemingly justified anti-AU hate without considering that the alternative is the University of South Carolina.

It would be hard to quantify the value of my connections in SC here on TLS, but trust me that they're about as solid as you could hope for. I already live and work in DC in the political realm so those connections are already here to stay if I want to come back. SC is definitely an option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm

And again, really appreciate all the responses thus far. American is a great school in my opinion but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on all that debt.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:29 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:And again, really appreciate all the responses thus far. American is a great school in my opinion but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on all that debt.
As you should, it's a massive amount of debt, and there's nothing guaranteed at all in terms of job prospects ITE from a school like AU.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 pm

I wouldn't say American is a bad school its just expensive in an over saturated market.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 pm

ITE? Things are going to improve! By the time the current class graduates in 2013, the economy will be much improved. Theres a lot of tunnel vision on TLS and the ITE stuff is a perfect example. Things will improve. Dont be so negative. One reason why the economy hasnt gotten better quicker is because of that kind of thinking. The idea that things are terrible and that investing in big ticket items isnt worth it makes things worse. If people would start spending money and investing again, things would be better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”