Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:29 pm

pertristis wrote:I'm fully expecting to be on three waitlists that I would kill to be off of. I'll wait them out until the bitter end.



Sometimes, I feel the same way. Rationally, it makes sense to just cut the cord but God these (horribly) amazing stories of people getting called the day before class starts gives me (false) hope.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
will be perfectly happy at the school to which I'll probably deposit, but if the other three come knocking, I'll be there without a second thought. I've already spent a bunch on application fees—what's another 400$ or so for a deposit?

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

pertristis wrote:I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
will be perfectly happy at the school to which I'll probably deposit, but if the other three come knocking, I'll be there without a second thought. I've already spent a bunch on application fees—what's another 400$ or so for a deposit?



Plus, the security deposit you've put down which in most cases is non-refundable and quite large.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby missvik218 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:12 pm

trialjunky wrote:I've decided my withdraw day is July 30th. The day I am officially moving to Miami. After move day, it would be just too much.

Thinking the same thing because this when my lease is up and I'll be making the move. I want to say once I'm settled, I'm settled .. but if on August 1 I got a phone call I can't say that I wouldn't stop unpacking and make the move. WL BLOWS!

And you're right about Miami, a lot of times they want first/last/security. That's a lot of money not to mention you'll prob have to pay it out if they can't find another renter or you can't find a subletter.

User avatar
Shellbelle
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby Shellbelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 pm

pertristis wrote:I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
will be perfectly happy at the school to which I'll probably deposit, but if the other three come knocking, I'll be there without a second thought. I've already spent a bunch on application fees—what's another 400$ or so for a deposit?


I'm right there with you. I'm in it till the bitter end...with that said, to all others debating - yes, yes you should absolutely give up, and soon :wink: jk

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

trialjunky wrote:
pertristis wrote:I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
will be perfectly happy at the school to which I'll probably deposit, but if the other three come knocking, I'll be there without a second thought. I've already spent a bunch on application fees—what's another 400$ or so for a deposit?



Plus, the security deposit you've put down which in most cases is non-refundable and quite large.


I'm going to be close to 200k in debt before this is all over. My future is certainly worth the $400 or $500 deposit.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby Slimpee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm going to be insane by the time July rolls around...

User avatar
RonArtest
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby RonArtest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be insane by the time [strike]July[/strike] June rolls around...

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be insane by the time July rolls around...


My insanity started with the comedy of errors from my UG instituition before most apps even went out. That's now long over with. I'm just surprised that I'm actually seriously contemplating applying next cycle and subjecting myself to the same marvelous entertainment a second time.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:48 pm

pertristis wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be insane by the time July rolls around...


My insanity started with the comedy of errors from my UG instituition before most apps even went out. That's now long over with. I'm just surprised that I'm actually seriously contemplating applying next cycle and subjecting myself to the same marvelous entertainment a second time.

Don't worry. I'll probably be re-applying next year too.

That means that I'll have applied to graduate school 3 times. If I strike out next year, I think I'm done.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby tesoro » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Realistically speaking, after the deposit deadlines pass and movement halts waitlists are pretty much hopeless. The way I see it, after deposits, waiting on a waitlist pretty much amounts to this: Genious decides at the last minute to defer his Harvard acceptance, causing Prodigy to be wooed away from CLS, causing Einstein to get admitted to CLS and opening a seat at UVA, and the trickle continues downward.

What are the odds? By the end of July, if it were me, I would just let my waitlists go. You're literally praying for 1) somebody to suddenly decide at the eleventh hour not to attend, and 2) out of the entire pool of WL candidates, for some reason you're at the spot the lightning decides to strike. This isn't true if you're waitlisted in the same school you've deposited at, though.

Also: subleasing. It sucks, but it's an option.

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby Snoopy1216 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm

3) for someone to die. And if you guys who are waitlisted just send me your name and address, we can move this party right along! :mrgreen:

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

4) Someone to fail at life and fail out of class disallowing them to graduate

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby Cupidity » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 pm

On 10 waitlists.

I am king.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Unsolicited advice from a 1L who was seeing this stuff last year.... DO NOT TAKE YOURSELF OFF THE WAITLIST OF THE SCHOOL YOU ARE DYING TO GO TO.

Why? Think of it this way. You take your name off at the beginning of June from the school of your dreams, and you'll always wonder 'what if?'
You don't take your name off and you put a deposit down on an apartment. Then you get in to dream school. Okay, you're out up to ~$1000...what's that compared to your dream school and potentially much better job prospects?
You don't take your name off and you move to the city of the school you are planning to go to/start orientation. Then you get into dream school. Now YOU have the power and choice to decide if it is still such a dream that you will pack up and go or NOT.

This didn't happen to me, but a kid in our 1L class was at the first day of orientation and then suddenly gone. I found out from a friend at his dream school that he got in (they were starting in 4 days), packed his stuff in a car and drove away immediately. And the school was a peer school rankings-wise...but it was his dream.

Everyone's situation is different, especially when it comes to money, but I'd hate to have wondered 'what if' forever.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby dood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

No1ustad
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby No1ustad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 am

animalcrkrs wrote:Unsolicited advice from a 1L who was seeing this stuff last year.... DO NOT TAKE YOURSELF OFF THE WAITLIST OF THE SCHOOL YOU ARE DYING TO GO TO.

Why? Think of it this way. You take your name off at the beginning of June from the school of your dreams, and you'll always wonder 'what if?'
You don't take your name off and you put a deposit down on an apartment. Then you get in to dream school. Okay, you're out up to ~$1000...what's that compared to your dream school and potentially much better job prospects?
You don't take your name off and you move to the city of the school you are planning to go to/start orientation. Then you get into dream school. Now YOU have the power and choice to decide if it is still such a dream that you will pack up and go or NOT.

This didn't happen to me, but a kid in our 1L class was at the first day of orientation and then suddenly gone. I found out from a friend at his dream school that he got in (they were starting in 4 days), packed his stuff in a car and drove away immediately. And the school was a peer school rankings-wise...but it was his dream.

Everyone's situation is different, especially when it comes to money, but I'd hate to have wondered 'what if' forever.

exactly my point. cept better stated. lol.

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 am

I know two people who got off the waitlist in late August last year -- one at Michigan and one at UPenn. It happens.

Good luck! :-)

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 am

LaurenGayle wrote:I know two people who got off the waitlist in late August last year -- one at Michigan and one at UPenn. It happens.

Good luck! :-)



This is what I need to happen!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”